Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding the 30 day signup wait

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot
Avoiding the 30 day signup wait

I am trying to use Marriott rewards to buy miles for a Korean Air award flight.
I am transferring Amex points to Marriott to buy the KE miles.
Marriott is insisting on a 30-day wait before I can transfer in points. I am worried my award seat won't be available by then.
Any way around this waiting period??
Thanks!!
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Not only that... but the Marriott transfer to KE could also take a long time.

I suggest you look for award options where Amex converts directly and instantly to the airline.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriot
Thanks, Craigthemif.
Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck. I have KE points expiring and I am about 10,000 points short of a 110,000 award seat. Amex points can't be converted to KE miles, so the Marriott option seemed like a good workaround.
The flight isn't until April, so I may just grit my teeth and give it a try.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/...edit-card.html

if you spend $3k quickly you might get the miles asap. Not sure about US Bank, but most other banks credit these bonuses once you hit the milestone and don't wait till the next statement closing date.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by miss pamplemousse
Thanks, Craigthemif.
Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck. I have KE points expiring and I am about 10,000 points short of a 110,000 award seat. Amex points can't be converted to KE miles, so the Marriott option seemed like a good workaround.
The flight isn't until April, so I may just grit my teeth and give it a try.
Does KE sell miles? It can be worth paying for them, even at several cents per mile, in order to get an available award ticket you can use.

ADDED: I would certainly assume that in a month the award inventory you're seeing now will be gone, but KE might open additional award inventory later. It's probably based on inventory management rather than any fixed timing.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
It's worth noting that KE has a very generous hold policy for award tickets -- the standard seems to be 30 days, though you have to call:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/did-ko...booking-holds/

and it seems extensions are sometimes possible:

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/5-thi...n-air-skypass/

Might be worth giving them a call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.