Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Never thought I would say this but SPG hates elites and Marriott is superior

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)

Since the merger (dating well before the Aug integration) my rooms and experience have been terrible. The SPG Loyalty program and name that I assumed Marriott wanted has completely been relegated to garbage status.

My last 10 plus Stays have been in rooms I haven’t seen in decades at properties I frequented. From ocean views at the Moana Surfrider to third floor second tower wall views to Westin Verasa one bedroom with kitchen to first floor cubes with prison views... it’s getting ridiculous.

Marriott seems to be everything I thought it wasn’t during my 10 years of Plat at SPG; from far superior Plat lounges (with more of them), actual rooms on high floors with views.

SPG you should be ashamed of yourself.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Since SPG no longer exists, I'm not sure to whom you are directing the shame.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Since SPG no longer exists, I'm not sure to whom you are directing the shame.
former SPG properties like the above mentioned Westin’s. I figured folks on this site knew what SPG was...
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
If the quality of your rooms went down substantially after the takeover of the SPG program by the MR program, how is this a negative reflection on the SPG program, which no longer exists?

Originally Posted by CashN
I'll repeat the above. SPG no longer exists, so who should feel shame? At a property level, if properties formerly owned by, and following the policies of, SPG, are providing worse service since they've become owned by, and following the policies of, MR, how do you conclude that "SPG hates elites"?

We know what SPG was - it was a loyalty program that many of us liked that had been terminated, with the brand temporarily plastered over something different.

Last edited by CPRich; Oct 2, 2018 at 8:24 pm
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Note to self - pop the popcorn

FWIW - both sides lost & won. Now both sides have to deal w/ the new program. Ugh/yeah/ugh, etc, etc. Depending on the day I'm both ugh & yeah.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I think those with legacy Marriott who think SPG sucks at least on the upgrade department should read the legacy threads on the numerous and amazing upgrades we have all received as Golds and Platinums, even for those without the legacy SPG Lifetime status. The number of times I've been upgraded to junior, large, multi-bedroom crazy suites and even Presidential Suites was pretty awesome - and a majority based on standard room rates. But having compared the two programs (I was both Platinum a couple years in both programs), I would say that there are some better things Marriott did as well. Upgrades just wasn't one of them, IMHO.

I'm still trying to sit back and let things ride out for the next while but at the moment the new program doesn't look good.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I just sent a note to my Ambassador - massive downgrade of on-property recognition post-8/18, both MAR and SPG properties. Consistently getting terrible rooms - zero attempt at pre-blocking it seems. Little to any acknowledgment of status. Nothing even close to a suite.
EuropeanPete and CashN like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
FWIW - both sides lost & won. Now both sides have to deal w/ the new program. Ugh/yeah/ugh, etc, etc. Depending on the day I'm both ugh & yeah.
Struggling to think of a single downgrade on the Marriott side - better benefits, increased point earning, whole new selection of higher end / aspirational / global properties. Am I missing something?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by CashN
Since the merger (dating well before the Aug integration) my rooms and experience have been terrible. The SPG Loyalty program and name that I assumed Marriott wanted has completely been relegated to garbage status.

My last 10 plus Stays have been in rooms I haven’t seen in decades at properties I frequented. From ocean views at the Moana Surfrider to third floor second tower wall views to Westin Verasa one bedroom with kitchen to first floor cubes with prison views... it’s getting ridiculous.

Marriott seems to be everything I thought it wasn’t during my 10 years of Plat at SPG; from far superior Plat lounges (with more of them), actual rooms on high floors with views.

Delete: not a helpful post
bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I wonder if people who are complaining about lack of recognition are suffering from the reported IT error where the property doesn't see your status.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Am I missing something?
Yes Marriott customer service has gone completely into the toilet.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
I just sent a note to my Ambassador - massive downgrade of on-property recognition post-8/18, both MAR and SPG properties. Consistently getting terrible rooms - zero attempt at pre-blocking it seems. Little to any acknowledgment of status. Nothing even close to a suite.
So I can’t speak to MAR properties since I haven’t stayed in any, but glad that I’m not the only one who noticed that SPG properties have taken a nose-dive since 8/18. It’s the first time in years that I’m actually looking at non-SPG properties.
CashN and sscywong like this.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Do these properties include ones that are familiar with you (i.e. the staff know your face, know your preferences, and say hi to you all the time sort of thing)?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Struggling to think of a single downgrade on the Marriott side - better benefits, increased point earning, whole new selection of higher end / aspirational / global properties. Am I missing something?
All true. In the sense that people starting off at Marriott are simply getting more than they had before.

Of course...

1. Better benefits - assuming that the IT systems haven't screwed up your status
2. Increased point earning - assuming that you receive credit for your paid stays (I have had to chase every single post-August stay) and many have reported shockingly incorrect point calculations
3. Whole new selection of hotels - still cannot be booked by Marriott members whose membership numbers start with "0" and don't get me started on the travel packages or the high end SPG hotels not releasing award space
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
There are no sides. We are all members of a program that doesn't yet have a name but is aligned with the Marriott corporation.

Originally Posted by lilpisher
So I can’t speak to MAR properties since I haven’t stayed in any, but glad that I’m not the only one who noticed that SPG properties have taken a nose-dive since 8/18. It’s the first time in years that I’m actually looking at non-SPG properties.
There are no SPG properties. There are only MAR properties.

Originally Posted by craigthemif
and don't get me started on the travel packages or the high end SPG hotels not releasing award space
High-end MAR properties.
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by yosithezet
There are no SPG properties. There are only MAR properties.
When the website says, "Please wait while we connect you to SPG.com to complete your booking," I think it's reasonable to continue to refer to them as SPG properties.

In fact, I'd suggest that it will continue to be appropriate to refer to the former Starwood brands as "SPG Properties" even after the booking platform has been merged. We all know exactly what's being referred to, and that's the ultimate point of language, no? Don't quite see the point of elevating corporate-speak form over substance.
Score8, darthbimmer, CIT85 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.