Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Should Marriott hire a Crisis Management Agency?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should Marriott hire a Crisis Management Agency?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2018, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
there is a fall promotion. See the corresponding thread. The promo is pathetic IMO, but there is one.
Are you referring to the 2K Megabonus thing? That's not open to everyone, from what I can tell. At least not me. Despite it advertising it directly to me on the app, the second I try to sign up it says I'm ineligible.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dayone
And likely an integrated customer platform in January.

Many of the migration "experts" around here have complained about the communication and messaging. Professionals know that the real focus should be on blocking and tackling. Continuously fix and improve. That will remedy a lot of the related issues.
doing their jobs, and communicating what is happening at the same time, don’t have to be mutually exclusive
CPRich, C17PSGR, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Well they can start by firing their CEO Sorenson who's responsible for this mess. The work culture in Marriott is awful when service reps shout at their customers and using threats. Nobody is taking responsibility and departments are not cooperating. With this kind of work culture drastic changes need to be made.

Marriott could be a great company but something is seriously odd. It's soon October and there are still problems. What the heck?
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Many of the migration "experts" around here have complained about the communication and messaging. Professionals know that the real focus should be on blocking and tackling. Continuously fix and improve. That will remedy a lot of the related issues.
I've never claimed to be a "migration expert" but I certainly know the difference between good customer service and poor customer service. Marriott's has been awful from 8/18 on (and really shows no signs at all of improving).
KRSW, wrp96, davidsc111 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Are you referring to the 2K Megabonus thing? That's not open to everyone, from what I can tell. At least not me. Despite it advertising it directly to me on the app, the second I try to sign up it says I'm ineligible.
it is open to everyone. IM the Lurkers here ... they should be able to fix it ... or call Marriott CS.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
delete. Information was incorrect.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Just call in. I believe this regularly happened with Marriott promos even before the merger. Read the promo thread. Lots of data points there.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Just call in. I believe this regularly happened with Marriott promos even before the merger.
Yes, it did. Every time.
KRSW likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I disagree. Maybe IT professionals know that. But C-suite professionals know that BOTH are equally important. IT focuses on blocking and tackling (as do certain segments of front line operations). Marketing and others focus on communicating and messaging. It's the reason different departments exist within a large corporation like Marriott. No reason at all they can't do both.

That said, I'm not sure this qualifies as a crisis. It's a migration with a number of issues that is taking longer than necessary to fix. It's not like an airline's systems were broken for weeks and people are stranded at airports indefinitely.
C17PSGR, KRSW and Kacee like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 1:57 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
As an IT Professional, I can say this NEVER should have happened. They should have stood up a new system and migrated the data from the two existing systems, left the old systems live, and QAed the new system. Rinse, Lather, Repeat until you get it right. Do not go live with the new system until there were no major known problems. Don't announce a date until you are sure.
C17PSGR, KRSW and wrp96 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
As an "IT Professional" with 25 years of doing conversions, migrations, etc., for F100 companies, I can assure you that every single one of them went through at least 8 mock conversions, often more, and at least 2 passes with no significant issues.

Not once did the actual go-live run without significant unexpected issues.

This is worse than many, not as bad as some. But to just say "they should have tested it until it worked" and thinking that means it would have worked flawlessly, simply isn't realistic.

And no, getting the work done and effectively communication are certainly not mutually exclusive.

A "a Crisis Management Agency" would probably just slow things down. And everyone here would complain that "all they're doing is PR, why don't they fix it".
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
.......A "a Crisis Management Agency" would probably just slow things down. And everyone here would complain that "all they're doing is PR, why don't they fix it".
Precisely. Don't do PR, just get the system to work.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by stc
As an IT Professional, I can say this NEVER should have happened. They should have stood up a new system and migrated the data from the two existing systems, left the old systems live, and QAed the new system. Rinse, Lather, Repeat until you get it right. Do not go live with the new system until there were no major known problems. Don't announce a date until you are sure.
There are over 6,700 hotels across the globe connected to Marriott's systems. Most of those hotels are franchises. Expecting franchises to operate two computer systems concurrently simply isn't feasible.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
As an "IT Professional" with 25 years of doing conversions, migrations, etc., for F100 companies, I can assure you that every single one of them went through at least 8 mock conversions, often more, and at least 2 passes with no significant issues.

Not once did the actual go-live run without significant unexpected issues.

This is worse than many, not as bad as some. But to just say "they should have tested it until it worked" and thinking that means it would have worked flawlessly, simply isn't realistic.

And no, getting the work done and effectively communication are certainly not mutually exclusive.

A "a Crisis Management Agency" would probably just slow things down. And everyone here would complain that "all they're doing is PR, why don't they fix it".
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that Marriott is building a brand new IT infrastructure, but that it isn't ready yet (and never had a chance of being ready by August). So the reason that issues aren't being fixed is because most of the focus is on the new systems.

So rather than "test, test and test again" some of us are simply wondering who forced Marriott into an August merger instead of the far more sensible year end. (particularly for status) The answer is surely senior management and that's where fingers should be pointed and heads should be rolling.
remymartin likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 3:05 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
There are over 6,700 hotels across the globe connected to Marriott's systems. Most of those hotels are franchises. Expecting franchises to operate two computer systems concurrently simply isn't feasible.
This is all back-end stuff. There only place there would be two computers would be Marriott Corporate IT.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.