Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Legacy Amex Spend Promo - Until Nov 30, 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres

For those with legacy SPG cards, check your online accounts. My account showed a banner that said:

Limited Time Offer: Register Your SPG® Card until 10/31/18 and earn up to 30,000 bonus points on eligible spend. Terms Apply.

So I registered and then received an email with the following terms:

You can earn 20,000 bonus points after spending $10,000 in eligible purchases and an additional 10,000 bonus points after spending an additional $5,000 in eligible purchases on your registered Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card between the time you complete registration and November 30, 2018. Registration period ends on October 31, 2018.

We value your relationship with us. Thank you for using your American Express® Card.

Sincerely,
American Express Customer Care

Not sure whether I want to chase this - as $10k is a bit high and if I miss it I'll be left with spend on this devalued card. However, if I hit it, this double will bring back the old spend level at least for those two months. So I will have to think about whether it's worth it to me.

For those that can easily hit $10k over ~2 mos, it seems to be a no brainer assuming you were offered the promo.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My offer was "You can earn one additional point for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. supermarkets U.S. restaurants between the time you complete registration and November 30, 2018, up to a maximum of 2,000 bonus points. Registration period ends on October 31, 2018. "
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:40 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately nothing on my account.

I'm interested to see if they'll offer me anything when I call to cancel later this month. Between not receiving any upgrade offer and this, it's clear that their algorithms don't value the obscene amount of money I've charged on this card in the past 12 years.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
I got the following:

You can earn 15,000 bonus points after spending $6,000 in eligible purchases and an additional 5,000 bonus points after spending an additional $3,000 in eligible purchases on your registered Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card between the time you complete registration and November 30, 2018. Registration period ends on October 31, 2018.

We value your relationship with us. Thank you for using your American Express® Card.

Not really worth the redirection of spend.

My wife got the Supermarket/Restaurant additional point offer (i.e., what we used to get).

No offers on either of our business cards.

Last edited by DAYflier; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:01 pm Reason: Add the offer my wife got.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by DAYflier
I got the following:

You can earn 15,000 bonus points after spending $6,000 in eligible purchases and an additional 5,000 bonus points after spending an additional $3,000 in eligible purchases on your registered Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card between the time you complete registration and November 30, 2018. Registration period ends on October 31, 2018.

Not really worth the redirection of spend.

My wife got the Supermarket/Restaurant additional point offer (i.e., what we used to get).

No offers on either of our business cards.
Interesting that we're all getting different offers. Makes sense from Amex's perspective of course. But they shot too high in my case. After doing a back of the napkin spend analysis, I will not attempt to chase their offer. If I had the $6k offer you received I would have moved spend to them. But $10k is too rich for me. So this card remains in my sock drawer except for Starriott stays.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
My only offer is an upsell.

Originally Posted by Amex
Limited Time Offer: upgrade to the SPG® Amex Luxury Card by 10/31/18 and you can earn 100,000 points. Plus, in each Card renewal year, get up to $300 in statement credits for purchases on the Card at participating SPG® or Marriott Rewards® hotels. Terms apply. Learn More
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Interesting that we're all getting different offers. Makes sense from Amex's perspective of course. But they shot too high in my case. After doing a back of the napkin spend analysis, I will not attempt to chase their offer. If I had the $6k offer you received I would have moved spend to them. But $10k is too rich for me. So this card remains in my sock drawer except for Starriott stays.
I'm not surprised by the lack of enthusiasm for this offer. On the surface, the 4 points per $ seems even better that the much beloved SPG Amex of our past. However, a bunch of sour grapes due to the issues with this merger. For example, I upgraded to the luxury card and immediately was notified that I was eligible for platinum due to previous spend (I'm lifetime gold). Now they tell me that Marriott has informed them it may take 14-16 weeks to process. Not acceptable.

I'm using the card until this promotion runs out, and will likely "downgrade" back to the regular Amex or cancel altogether on my anniversary October 23rd. JUst not worth it anymore...
Old Sep 19, 2018, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i got the same offer as the op.

we got an spg business amex to replace our formerly beloved card and didn't intend to chase the promo...but now have a big charge coming up which will meet the requirements in one fell swoop, so it's worth it. after that, though, the card is going back in the sock drawer unless they offer something else.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by karenkay
i got the same offer as the op.

we got an spg business amex to replace our formerly beloved card and didn't intend to chase the promo...but now have a big charge coming up which will meet the requirements in one fell swoop, so it's worth it. after that, though, the card is going back in the sock drawer unless they offer something else.
I also have 2 business cards, but using Chase Sapphire Reserve for my non-bonused spend. We generally use Starwood for stays and American for flights, so CSR is not as user friendly. Maybe they learn from this promotion that 2 points/$ just doesn't cut it for most people, but I doubt it.
karenkay likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
I had this offer couple weeks ago "You can earn one additional point for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card at U.S. supermarkets U.S. restaurants between the time you complete registration and November 30, 2018, up to a maximum of 2,000 bonus points. Registration period ends on October 31, 2018. ". I already put US supermarket purchase on my SPG card anyways since i get 3x on dining on reserve so its not bad
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Here's my offer:

You can earn 10,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in eligible purchases and an additional 5,000 bonus points after spending an additional $2,000 in eligible purchases on your registered Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card between the time you complete registration and October 31, 2018.
Unfortunately, I may have difficulty hitting that target because I've prepaid most of my upcoming HNL stay to take advantage of the "Spend $300, get $60 back" promo by using friend's credit cards. I think that was the better deal.
karenkay likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Mine is a 30,000 bonus, same terms etc
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lt Plt
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You can earn 20,000 bonus points after spending $10,000 in eligible purchases and an additional 10,000 bonus points after spending an additional $5,000 in eligible purchases on your registered Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card between the time you complete registration and November 30, 2018. Registration period ends on October 31, 2018.
I received the same offer...
Unfortunately I've limited my charges on this card to hotel charges and definitely will no hit those numbers
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:20 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Received OP’s offer for 30000 too.
(By email a few minutes ago)

I also received the 40000 Biz card offer.

It will make me take the legacy card out of my sock drawer.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 6:47 pm

Programs: Amex,AS,DL,Marriott,Hilton
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Here's my offer:
You can earn 10,000 bonus points after spending $4,000 in eligible purchases and an additional 5,000 bonus points after spending an additional $2,000 in eligible purchases on your registered Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card between the time you complete registration and October 31, 2018.

Unfortunately, I may have difficulty hitting that target because I've prepaid most of my upcoming HNL stay to take advantage of the "Spend $300, get $60 back" promo by using friend's credit cards. I think that was the better deal.
I wish I had this offer, but got the same one as the OP. I don't think I will hit the target ;(

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.