Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

To avoid Marriott group, To stay only at legacy SPG Hotels, My Personal Vow!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I think you qualified on stays, so yeah, I understand your disenchantment.

So you won't stay at the Marriott Queens Park if it's comparable in price (or even cheaper) to the ROS?

-David
And, I'll add a better hotel, IMO of course, but ROS is half the award pts (for the time being).
Old Sep 8, 2018, 7:39 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dsquared37
And, I'll add a better hotel, IMO of course, but ROS is half the award pts (for the time being).
Bangkok really isn't a city where one should burn their point in. Unless u have unlimited points. Cash rates there r really low enough especially after lnf.

With regards to the original topic , I just have to say, there are SPG hotel which are mediocre and there are Marriott hotel which are always providing above what they should be doing. It's really not as simple as which branding are they under.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:54 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I appreciate the comments.

Indeed, I have qualified on stays. And, I’ve dropped down over the years a couple times, and made the 25 stays back up the tough way, with no upgrades or lounges until I got Platinum back... and without complaining. Last year, I think I stopped at 47 nights, with no reason to push for the other 3. I mean, Plat is Plat.

I know there’s no respect in Marriot for the under 50 night consumer, and I can accept that too. I’m 2 years and a whole bunch of stays away from lifetime Plat. I don’t even mind the higher benchmark for nights to achieve lifetime Plat... it’s just going to take me longer to get it.

But, several years later (and even from the start) I get no credit towards my 25 stays to Plat. Those are the rules, with plenty of warning, I can even accept that, too. But, I’ll be damned if I will book a single night at Marriott until this year’s Plat is wrapped up. After all, I’m not going to climb back up to 50 nights Plat if I happen to drop be,ow again. It’s just not going to happen).

Yes, some people “seem” to have a problem with the merger. I’m pretty confident you can take the SEEM out of that sentence.

I think it’s interesting that some people think I don’t understand the concept of hotel management contacts and that people feel the need to tell me that the hotels aren’t owned by the chains. It’s because I DO understand it that I plan to return to my favorite hotels.

My need to stay at SPG hotels remains. Like I said, years later, there still is no incentive to stay at any Marriot property... in fact there’s a disincentive.

This will change next year. But, I doubt that my feeling will. As I work through my 50 nights next year, perhaps my mind will change. Stranger things have happened.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
I appreciate the comments.

Indeed, I have qualified on stays. And, I’ve dropped down over the years a couple times, and made the 25 stays back up the tough way, with no upgrades or lounges until I got Platinum back... and without complaining. Last year, I think I stopped at 47 nights, with no reason to push for the other 3. I mean, Plat is Plat.

I know there’s no respect in Marriot for the under 50 night consumer, and I can accept that too. I’m 2 years and a whole bunch of stays away from lifetime Plat. I don’t even mind the higher benchmark for nights to achieve lifetime Plat... it’s just going to take me longer to get it.

But, several years later (and even from the start) I get no credit towards my 25 stays to Plat. Those are the rules, with plenty of warning, I can even accept that, too. But, I’ll be damned if I will book a single night at Marriott until this year’s Plat is wrapped up. After all, I’m not going to climb back up to 50 nights Plat if I happen to drop be,ow again. It’s just not going to happen).

Yes, some people “seem” to have a problem with the merger. I’m pretty confident you can take the SEEM out of that sentence.

I think it’s interesting that some people think I don’t understand the concept of hotel management contacts and that people feel the need to tell me that the hotels aren’t owned by the chains. It’s because I DO understand it that I plan to return to my favorite hotels.

My need to stay at SPG hotels remains. Like I said, years later, there still is no incentive to stay at any Marriot property... in fact there’s a disincentive.

This will change next year. But, I doubt that my feeling will. As I work through my 50 nights next year, perhaps my mind will change. Stranger things have happened.
Actually, as I read this latest post, I get the impression that you just like staying in the hotels you have been staying in over the past several years. That is normal. Lots of people like routines and familiarity. However, the title of the post seems a bit over dramatic. If you don't mind Marriott getting revenue from your patronage, then you aren't avoiding Marriott.

Perhaps some of the feedback you have been reading in this thread is because of the wording of the thread title. When I read the thread title, it sounded to me like you were avoiding Marriott because you didn't want anything to do with the company. Under that logic, since SPG is part of Marriott now, in order to avoid Marriott as a company, you would have to avoid SPG as well.
Horace likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Here's my vow - to stay at a MAR/SPG property that meets my needs/gets good reviews, regardless of which side it came from in the past. Post 08/18/18 it's the same company.

FWIW - I understand the OP prefers SPG side so in future odds are he'll stay at the same properties he's stayed at in the past, because he's had good experiences w/ them (same for those staying on the MAR side & not going to SPG). The comment about not giving MAR revenue or keeping it on SPG only is silly at this point given it's one company.

Cheers.
Horace and JBord like this.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 8:41 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Here's my vow - to stay at a MAR/SPG property that meets my needs/gets good reviews, regardless of which side it came from in the past. Post 08/18/18 it's the same company.

FWIW - I understand the OP prefers SPG side so in future odds are he'll stay at the same properties he's stayed at in the past, because he's had good experiences w/ them (same for those staying on the MAR side & not going to SPG). The comment about not giving MAR revenue or keeping it on SPG only is silly at this point given it's one company.

Cheers.
Agreed! This whole thread is much ado about nothing! It would have been much more succinct for the OP to say that they are loyal to SPG and plan to continue staying there in the future.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Well if OP qualified as a plat with 25 stays and wants to requalify as a plat again with 25 stays, legacy SPG properties are the only option. Any feelings regarding Marriott are irrelevant.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:50 pm

SPG loyalists should consider that Marriott's properties on average were better run and better located. That is why it is the surviving company.
Starwood had more problem properties and brands, such as Sheraton. Because of it weaknesses, Starwood may have given its loyalists deals that were not sustainable in the long run.
I'm not sure SPG loyalists have experienced enough of the bad Starwood properties and good Marriott properties to make pledges that make no rational sense.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by chriskuo
SPG loyalists should consider that Marriott's properties on average were better run and better located. That is why it is the surviving company.
Starwood had more problem properties and brands, such as Sheraton. Because of it weaknesses, Starwood may have given its loyalists deals that were not sustainable in the long run.
I'm not sure SPG loyalists have experienced enough of the bad Starwood properties and good Marriott properties to make pledges that make no rational sense.
thats a joke, right?
spg got bought out because they were the (far) the smaller of the two. and the question of what group was better run is easily answered by how the merger went - did marriot rush in and tell starwood how to fix everything, or did marriot carefully analyze the situation and try to make the new group more like starwood - hint it was the second option.

as far as better locations go - well marriott was almost 5x the size of starwood, so you might have a point there if for no other reason than simple numbers.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Isn't staying at any legacy Starwood property now just considered the same as staying at a Marriott property? Am I missing something?
Old Sep 10, 2018, 5:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Isn't staying at any legacy Starwood property now just considered the same as staying at a Marriott property? Am I missing something?
No, you are not missing anything. Wherever you stay, Marriott gets the money.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by chriskuo
Uhhhhhhh, right. Rather broad brush there. Gotta love all those waterfront Marriott properties in Waikiki

Originally Posted by stant
thats a joke, right?
spg got bought out because they were the (far) the smaller of the two. and the question of what group was better run is easily answered by how the merger went - did marriot rush in and tell starwood how to fix everything, or did marriot carefully analyze the situation and try to make the new group more like starwood - hint it was the second option.

as far as better locations go - well marriott was almost 5x the size of starwood, so you might have a point there if for no other reason than simple numbers.
Right on. It's about critical mass. There are a few signs that Marriott will be looking (and keeping) at some of the brand loyalty facets of the SPG program. Data integration issues aside....one hope that they will be looking at the final "new and improved website/app that incorporates features that have been available from SPG for some time (Grid pricing and clear reporting/itemization of points accumulation are two that immediately come to mind) Rather than slipping downward into Us vs Them, I am hopeful that people will continue to highlight features of each program that they prefer. Maybe someone at combined company will see it/listen. The larger concern that Marriott should be concerned with is the cherry picking of it's best customers by competitors. Presently, it seems that they are taking the head in the sand approach.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 8:13 am
formerly known as 2lovelife
Original Poster

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by jeanie
Agreed! This whole thread is much ado about nothing! It would have been much more succinct for the OP to say that they are loyal to SPG and plan to continue staying there in the future.
You missed my point then. We’re about 800 days into the merger, closing in on a thousand, and my stay pattern means that I can’t book a Marriott without threatening my status. Unless I double my spending, I risk falling from top status, to middle and all the benefits that come along with it.

I understand that there’s no love from Marriott for my consumer segment. There certainly isn’t much from FTers either. But, I don’t do it for you or for them. So, we’re even. I guarantee, that I’m not competing for your upgrades... that’s for sure.

Anyway, I will double my nights, and drop my other hotel statuses, and I will stay the extra hundred nights to get lifetime middle tier Platinum. But, there’s a sour taste in my mouth. The deal is about the worst imaginable. Another fact I can accept.

2.5 years in and still gloomy from the Marriott side. Question I hav3 is why would I want to stay at one now?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by 2lovelife
my stay pattern means that I can’t book a Marriott without threatening my status. Unless I double my spending, I risk falling from top status, to middle and all the benefits that come along with it.

Sounds like you have been making platinum based on 25 stays so limiting your stays this year to legacy SPG properties makes sense.

On the hand, giving someone top tier status based on 25 stays doesn't make sense. Many of us stay over 75 nights a year and expect better treatment than someone who stays 25 stays. It's no different than the airlines except that I can see the upgrade list and know that I'm higher up on the list because I fly 200,000 miles a year than someone who flies 25,000. It doesn't mean the company doesn't value their business ... they just need to prioritize.
Old Sep 10, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Sounds like you have been making platinum based on 25 stays so limiting your stays this year to legacy SPG properties makes sense.

On the hand, giving someone top tier status based on 25 stays doesn't make sense. Many of us stay over 75 nights a year and expect better treatment than someone who stays 25 stays. It's no different than the airlines except that I can see the upgrade list and know that I'm higher up on the list because I fly 200,000 miles a year than someone who flies 25,000. It doesn't mean the company doesn't value their business ... they just need to prioritize.
With 75 nights you are Platinum Premier and should get better treatment and you have also earned more points than someone with 25 one-night-stays.

I would offer a promotion in Q4 if I were Marriott. Alternatively to chose EITHER „One night counts double towards Elite“ (at „Marriott“ hotels, or generally, and cancel the stay qualification rule for SPG legacy hotels in the T&Cs) to avoid that (SPG) loyalists stay only at SPG legacy hotels to achieve Platinum status OR „Double Points/Triple Points“ (Mon-Thu/Fri-Mon) to encourage members to qualify on nights and to boost business.

Such a promotion would be fair and also compensates the trouble with IT integration many here have experienced and let them stay loyal.

Last edited by submonte; Sep 10, 2018 at 12:56 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.