Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Spend $300 get $60 back (and various similar offers) - Amex sync Marriott offer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2023, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Q: How do I find out about these offers?

A: subscribe to this thread Some other useful related threads to follow include:

General AMEX forum thread for all AMEX offers (often people will post these there and not in the forum-specific thread) -- especially if you are new to AMEX offers, there is some past discussion of how they work, can the same offer be added to more than one card (generally, no) etc.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...sa-2023-a.html

Equivalent Chase forum thread (note that Chase offers are usually brand-specific and have different dynamics than AMEX offers even though the basic idea is the same, e.g. if you have the same offer on multiple Chase cards you can add it to all those where it appears, unlike AMEX)
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...fic-cards.html

Q: Do I have to reach the threshold in a single transaction?

A: As a general rule, these spend $X get $Y offers as they apply to Marriott are across multiple transactions. Sometimes if you click/tap to see the T&C it will explicitly spell out "multiple purchases" or "in a single purchase" -- unless you see the latter, general experience is that multiple transactions within the offer period are ok as long as they add up to $X

Q: Do restaurant charges signed to the room/taxes/etc. count?

A: Yes. AMEX only cares about the total amount charged to the card at the vendor associated with the offer; it does not examine the breakdown of room charges vs. tax vs. dining/parking charges.

Q: I don't have a stay during the offer period Any other way to monetize the offer?

A: There are a couple ways.

1. Although the T&C may exclude gift cards, experience is generally that physical gift cards purchased at a front desk "look" just like room stays/charges and will get the credit. If you have questions about the usage of gift cards that you have already purchased or are considering purchasing, please use this separate thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

Note, it may be difficult to find a location that sells physical gift cards. You can try asking in the thread for a particular area but you will likely end up just having to call/visit convenient locations nearby. Once you have one in your possession, they are supposedly reloadable, so don't throw one away just because it's used up otherwise you'll have to find (or go back to) a location that sells them again.

1b. eGift cards may or may not count depending on whether they post as Marriott; recent data points for this would be useful

2. If you have an upcoming stay, just not before the offer expires, you can call the hotel and ask them to charge a deposit up front that will be credited against the stay when it eventually does occur.

Q: Do multiple Bonvoy offers stack?

A: as a general rule, a transaction will trigger all AMEX offers that it qualifies for and that you have added to your card. In the past when the Bonvoy Brilliant card had the annual $300 credit, this stacked with a spend $X get $Y offer etc.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis

The SPG offer is ending, but they just started the offer today for Marriott properties expiring 25 October. Check your Amex account to see if your card is included.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Thanks very much for sharing! There are some pretty significant limitations, though (US properties - and only a subset at that - e.g.):

OFFER TERMS

Enrollment limited. Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible. Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Offer valid only at participating Marriott® brands in the U.S and U.S. territories, including: JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard®, Residence Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites® and Moxy® Hotels. Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Mobile App or by calling Marriott Worldwide Reservations (888-236-2427). Excludes the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection, W® Hotels, Bulgari®, Sheraton®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Le Méridien®, Westin®, Design Hotels™, Tribute Portfolio®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Protea Hotels®, Aloft®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Element® and Vistana™. Excludes all timeshares, residences, travel packages, and retail store purchases. Offer not valid at international locations outside the U.S and U.S. territories. Excludes gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date. Offer is non-transferable. Limit of 1 statement credit(s) per Card Member. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 10/25/2018, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: GBMZ:0001
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Has anyone had luck using this to get gift cards from a hotel front desk?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:04 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I combine a one night stay with gift card purchases to make the promo minimum and never had a problem.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Thanks very much for sharing! There are some pretty significant limitations, though (US properties - and only a subset at that - e.g.):

OFFER TERMS

Enrollment limited. Must first add offer to Card and then use same Card to redeem. Only U.S.-issued American Express® Cards are eligible. Limit 1 enrolled Card per Card Member across all American Express offer channels. Your enrollment of an eligible American Express Card for this offer extends only to that Card. Offer valid only at participating Marriott® brands in the U.S and U.S. territories, including: JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection®, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Delta Hotels®, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard®, Residence Inn®, SpringHill Suites®, Fairfield Inn by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites® and Moxy® Hotels. Reservations must be made online at Marriott.com, via the Marriott Mobile App or by calling Marriott Worldwide Reservations (888-236-2427). Excludes the following brands: The Ritz-Carlton®, St. Regis®, EDITION®, The Luxury Collection, W® Hotels, Bulgari®, Sheraton®, Marriott Vacation Club®, Le Méridien®, Westin®, Design Hotels™, Tribute Portfolio®, Four Points® by Sheraton, Protea Hotels®, Aloft®, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Element® and Vistana™. Excludes all timeshares, residences, travel packages, and retail store purchases. Offer not valid at international locations outside the U.S and U.S. territories. Excludes gift card purchases. Offer only valid on room rate and room charges. Offer not valid for lodging stays that are paid for before the promotion start date or after the promotion end date. Offer is non-transferable. Limit of 1 statement credit(s) per Card Member. Statement credit will appear on your billing statement within 90 days after 10/25/2018, provided that American Express receives information from the merchant about your qualifying purchase. Statement credit may be reversed if qualifying purchase is cancelled. If American Express does not receive information that identifies your transaction as qualifying for the offer, you will not receive the statement credit. For example, your transaction will not qualify if it is not made directly with the merchant. In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet or through a third party or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it. By adding an offer to a Card, you agree that American Express may send you communications about the offer. POID: GBMZ:0001
Why are they only promoting legacy Marriott properties? Aren't we all one big happy family now?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Why are they only promoting legacy Marriott properties? Aren't we all one big happy family now?
Presumably because they also have an SPG one now that expires on Sept 4. It’s too bad these promos are only valid at US properties.

My Cdn SPG Amex is having a similar promo (spend $250, get $50 back) but it’s valid at SPG and Marriott properties worldwide.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:34 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
I'm assuming this won't be valid on mine as I'm waiting on my upgrade... but where can you check?
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I wish they included non US properties. I ended a trip in the US a week before the SPG offer started... and will be in the US again right after this offer ends... Same thing with the Quantas offer for $200 off with $1000 USD spend. Must be an itinerary starting from the US to Australia. Too bad I am going to Australia on Quantas but starting from a different continent so I don't get credit. Oh well. IN general these loyalty programs are too US centric even if a large proportion of revenue derives from non US areas.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 6:58 am

Most of my stays are across the border in Ontario, might need to find a weekend trip to Chicago instead of Toronto to get this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
I'm assuming this won't be valid on mine as I'm waiting on my upgrade... but where can you check?
My offers show up on the Amex app after the details about payments and charges. They only display the first few, requiring one to click View More after those.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I wish they included non US properties. I ended a trip in the US a week before the SPG offer started... and will be in the US again right after this offer ends...
You can get around this. My SPG stay is in Oct even though the offer ends on Sept 4. I reached out to Guest Relations at the hotel and asked them to send me a credit card eAuthorization so I could prepay $300 on my stay. It's a flexible rate. I asked the hotel what happens if I change my reservation (often happens with my BRGs) and they said no problem, they would just apply the credit to the new reservation. I presume they would refund if you cancelled a flexible reservation.

BTW, my $300 SPG pre-payment has posted to my card, as well as the $60 credit for my October stay.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 1:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
AMEX offer - $300 Marriott spend for $60 credit

I have a stay with Marriott starting 10/26...any thoughts on how to still take advantage of this offer? Hotel didn't offer a pre-paid option when booking... TIA!

Details

Get a one-time $60 statement credit by using your enrolled Card to spend a minimum of $300+ on room rate and room charges when you pay for your stay with Marriott from 8/27/2018 to 10/25/2018. See terms for exclusions.

Offer Terms

Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
I have a stay with Marriott starting 10/26...any thoughts on how to still take advantage of this offer? Hotel didn't offer a pre-paid option when booking...
Call them and see if they'll let you prepay.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I had a situation like this last year with Amex and a spend promo. Spend I think $15,000 USD and get 15,000 points. I wanted to qualify immediately rather than natural spend time frame, so I called up several Marriotts and asked to pre-pay. They sent an authorization form. I signed. Charged immediately and got the bonus points. Try that.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Great, thanks! I will try your suggestions! It's not much, but $60 isn't pocket change either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.