Search

Open Letter to Marriott Leadership

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Logged in today and saw this:

Originally Posted by MPG

A note to our valued members,

On August 18 our combined loyalty program launched. For some of you, this raised questions and at times, issues, around your account reflecting accurate and current information. We truly apologize for the challenges you may have experienced. Please rest assured, we have all the records in hand and we will continue to populate accounts that may be impacted (reminder: normally we post updates on your stays 72 hours after a stay).

If you wish to add up all nights, points and stays across your Rewards and SPG accounts into one, you must take the active step to combine accounts, even if you had already linked prior to August 18th. While this extra step might feel redundant, this puts the control for deciding which account profile, along with account preferences, into your hands.

We are continuing to update the Frequently Asked Questions on our status page based on our members’ questions, to help guide you through the changes. Of course, we’re always happy to hear from you if your question is not covered there. You can reach our customer engagement professionals here.

Thank you again for your patience and for your loyalty.
There ya go, there's your fornicatin' apology. Feel better now?

(... and more-importantly, does it help you in any way?!)
Old Aug 30, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
There were definitely tech integration problems... Definitely... And I am surprised at relative lack of updates... However I think Marriott did pretty well. I am not a tech architect, so maybe they could have done better but as a consumer I think they did ok.
​​​​​​
I've been bed-ridden since integration (sports injury), so have had for more time than normal to read the message boards...
​​​​​
I don't get all the anger pointed at them. What do people want... A few points service recovery?

The only two parts of integration I really don't like is SPG credit card devaluation (but was increase for Marriott card holders). But as we can see from threads, there really aren't great alternatives.

and of course Marriott's IT system which is terrible. The SPG App and website far more user friendly, intuitive and useful. Surprised Marriott didn't keep the good parts of SPG's infrastructure

Last edited by SHLTP; Aug 30, 2018 at 7:39 pm
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:18 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by azoomee
Let’s face it - major system changes don’t always go the way they should go. Yes more testing, risk analysis, beta groups, etc should always be done. But sometimes it still just doesn’t go right. And employees or worse customers are impacted. The problem here is that you’re not being transparent as to the problem, what our current experience is, and what you’re doing about it. . Will I permanently lose loads of points that are currently missing? Missing stays or status? When I called customer service they had no idea. The status.marriott.com was incorrect.

A “yes we messed up, and you’re impacted this way, we’re working around the clock on this, and we’ll give you updates at least once a day “ would go a long way. Without this we’re left to guess, complain, and assume no one has their act together. Please be transparent with us.. we all know things don’t always go right...and set the foundation for a great merger.

I took a southwest flight recently where the multi hour delay was clearly southwests fault. Before I got home I had an apology note in my email and a small credit for a future flight. Nicely done by sw.
When I logged in to my spg account, I saw pop up telling that things still on going. Perhaps they read this post?
Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by boss315
People are much too impatient, expecting a magic wand to be waved and all changes are made..good lord, it’s only been a week or two!
The migration should only happen on 18-Aug right? We have been patient enough!!!
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by SHLTP
There were definitely tech integration problems... Definitely... And I am surprised at relative lack of updates... However I think Marriott did pretty well. I am not a tech architect, so maybe they could have done better but as a consumer I think they did ok.
​​​​​​
I've been bed-ridden since integration (sports injury), so have had for more time than normal to read the message boards...
​​​​​
I don't get all the anger pointed at them. What do people want... A few points service recovery?

The only two parts of integration I really don't like is SPG credit card devaluation (but was increase for Marriott card holders). But as we can see from threads, there really aren't great alternatives.

and of course Marriott's IT system which is terrible. The SPG App and website far more user friendly, intuitive and useful. Surprised Marriott didn't keep the good parts of SPG's infrastructure
Get well soon!
SHLTP likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:15 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

Imagine how this is impacting occupancy in September ....
I tend to agree and am wondering when they will have to mention this affecting revenue, and or missing their numbers. Just by people having issues trying to make a reservation.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:50 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Up until now I still wonder which genius gave them the idea of merging both program midway through a calendar year.
messing up brg, travel package and various things in the process.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I didn't deny there were other issues (in fact clearly stated there were), just pointing out that one of the reasons you listed (messing up elite status) can probably wait a couple weeks before bombarding the phone lines and calling to talk to people that probably can't even do anything about it.
True. But there are issues that can't wait. Like me wanting to apply SNAs to Sept reservations and I cannot online. And this is just one example.
MSPeconomist and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by troyintn
I tend to agree and am wondering when they will have to mention this affecting revenue, and or missing their numbers. Just by people having issues trying to make a reservation.
Rumor is that is why they pushed back from the 1st as they had to make a filing the beginning of August. This way it's three months before the next and I'm sure they are hoping this will all be behind them by then.

Here's to hoping.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:01 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I don't know who did their IT integration, but it would be obvious to anyone with experience in the industry that there would be serious problems with a merger this large. BUT:

1. The communication hasn't been acceptable. But, then, it never has. Companies generally (not always, but generally) adopt the "maybe if we don't open our eyes no one will see us" approach to hiding.

2. I really liked SPG as a program - but they had some of the worst IT (on conversions/updates) that I have ever seen. (See my earlier posts on threads about that issue.)

P.S. - My personal concerns are more about my inability to book SPG properties, because the online system tells me that my SPG number (which has been replaced, at my choice, by my Marriott number) is not valid in their system. So I need to use the phone to book my SPG property stays. The agent I spoke with (who sounds very competent) gave me her personal guess that they might have the internal reservation systems working by the end of October.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 10:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jd2601
The merger has impacted my travel. I have not been able to make or modify reservations as needed. ... I ended up calling all the Aloft locations in a city to determine which location my reservation was at.
Are there any cities with more than a couple of Aloft around?
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Rumor is that is why they pushed back from the 1st as they had to make a filing the beginning of August. This way it's three months before the next and I'm sure they are hoping this will all be behind them by then.

Here's to hoping.
That's my thought. They made the conversion after their last 10Q was filed and noted that there could be problems in the 10Q. That doesn't mean they knew things would be messed up .... any company discloses identified risks. That being said, I'd guess they wanted to make sure the 10Q was filed before the integration.

But ... I'll deal with the extra hoops to make reservations. Most people won't so this must be having an impact on future reservations. Haven't looked at the stock though.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 11:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Based on what we know from this forum, I wonder if there is a case for a 3 month short on Marriott
Old Aug 31, 2018, 12:08 pm

I'd suggest you're late to the party.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
True. But there are issues that can't wait. Like me wanting to apply SNAs to Sept reservations and I cannot online. And this is just one example.
As far as I can tell, every single pre-8/18 SPG reservation is screwed up:
- can't apply SNAs
- can't change it
- if you cancel it, points won't come back right away

Mine shows my 11 digit old SPG number...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.