Wiki Posts
Search

Charged tax on a points stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by happychic
Great question. No government taxes and fees charged with award stays with IHG properties in Costa Mesa and elsewhere.
Not true, I have a PB reservation for HIX BW Parkway MD and there's a $3.9 fee per day. I know it's per day because I also have a 2 nights reservation that has a fee of $7.8.

Last edited by nacho; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:15 am Reason: Put in the right tax amount.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 5:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
OP has not provided a location with Orange County, which is a large place (6th largest state if it were a state!).
Perhaps you meant to refer to San Bernardino County, to the north east, which would be the tenth largest state by area, or Los Angeles County, to the north, which would be the tenth largest state by population. ; )
Old Jun 9, 2018, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by nacho
Not true, I have a PB reservation for HIX BW Parkway MD and there's a $1.6 fee per day. I know it's per day because I also have a 2 nights reservation that has a fee of $3.2.
Interesting.

I have stayed at HIX Baltimore BWI Airport West on points. No tax or fee charged for my stay.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happychic
Interesting.

I have stayed at HIX Baltimore BWI Airport West on points. No tax or fee charged for my stay.
I also have a reservation for HIX BWI North and that one has no fee/tax.

Just double checked my reservation for HIX BW Parkway - $3.9/night is not little compared to 90 cents.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 5:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I redeemed points last year for three properties in Malaysia: Marriott points for the J.W. Marriott and Renaissance properties in Kuala Lumpur and SPG points for the Four Points by Sheraton in Penang. The Four Points required me to pay a Malaysian tourism tax. The Marriott properties waived the tax because it was not disclosed on my booking.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: LTP, PP
FWIW for point stays (USA), I often see small taxes and disclaimers that there will be taxes on the reservation but none are imposed after the actual stay. If there are amounts approximating $15-20 they are erroneous internal charges that can be a PITA to call & get removed. YMMV.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
Perhaps you meant to refer to San Bernardino County, to the north east, which would be the tenth largest state by area)
No. San Bernadino county is 21,105 square miles which would make it 42nd in size between West Virginia and Maryland.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
OP - as you can see, it varies all over the place. You can call the property and get a better answer.

Originally Posted by Often1
OP has not provided a location with Orange County, which is a large place (6th largest state if it were a state!).
At 948 sq. mi. and 3.19M in population, it would be 51st by area (61% of Rhode Island) and 30th by population.

Perhaps you meant to refer to San Bernardino County, to the north east, which would be the tenth largest state by area,
At 20,105 sq. mi., San Bernardino would be 42nd by area.

(EDIT:duplicate - I didn't see the responses above. But links are provided)

Last edited by CPRich; Jun 11, 2018 at 3:17 pm
Old Jun 11, 2018, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yes it is.

You typically pay city and local taxes on awards. This is especially common in Europe.
I’ve never paid a city or local tax on an award stay in the US, which is what is being referenced here.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I have always had a zero folio balance at checkout on award stays in the US,regardless of what the confirmation shows.
Ditto. And not only Marriotts, IHG, etc.

And, recently paid zippo on a 5-night stay at Renaissance Hong Kong.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garkster
Ditto. And not only Marriotts, IHG, etc.

And, recently paid zippo on a 5-night stay at Renaissance Hong Kong.
There's no sales tax in Hong Kong. The only fee for hotel is service charge which is 10% and it's based on the paid room rate.

I checked my other reservations for my upcoming trip and the $3.9/night is the only tax/fee I have seen.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 6:25 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Yes it is.

You typically pay city and local taxes on awards. This is especially common in Europe.
While this may be common in Europe, I have never seen it in the US after probably 50 reward stays. I suspect that others are correct in saying that this is either some local tourism bureau fee or that it will disappear before the final folio.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, United 1k, Le Club Silver
I am trying to redeem Marriott points for a one-night stay in Alexandria, VA. At the confirmation page, It has points + taxes & fees (estimated) $1. I will report back if the hotel actually charges me a $1 for the stay.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 10:09 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by joshua362
If there are amounts approximating $15-20 they are erroneous internal charges that can be a PITA to call & get removed. YMMV.
When the award reservation is pushed to the hotel's on-property system, it is booked with a placeholder room rate of the minimum redemption reimbursement the property gets from MR, and a special rate code, but with charges billed to the guest. Someone at the property has to manually change the payment method to a billing account back to Marriott Rewards.

Having worked in both Hilton and Marriott systems in the past, it's easy to miss that manual step. Most properties have a 7am procedure to fix that day's reservations but if you book same-day or there is a new employee, they can easily miss it, and thus a charge around $40-60, depending on the type of property.

Always simpler to have someone at the property fix it, since corporate won't be able to easily change the payment information after checkout.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
What is the situation worldwide? I have an upcoming free night stay booked in Europe at an ex-SPG property. The original SPG confirmation says nothing about additional charges. If I look at my booking on the Marriott site now, it lists: "Estimated government taxes and fees 10.00"

Marriott's T&Cs say:
3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.