Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Portland Downtown/Waterfront - Maine [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2018, 2:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening April 2018. Cat 5 (post 08/18/18)

https://www.marriott.co.uk/hotels/tr...wn-waterfront/

Not much info on the website. " This is a truly cosmopolitan hotel with an urban vibe - custom made for those seeking a new way to understand, live and Feel the City."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Sep 12, 2018 at 8:27 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Happy to be the first person to review this property!

Stay Report - 7/14 - 7/15

Location: The hotel is located on the corner of Hancock and Fore Streets a block from the water and very near the ferry terminals. Be advised that the hotel is not yet located in the Uber app and that the address itself can be a little confusing to drivers. Nearby are a number of good restaurants (I suggest Eventide) as well as the Shipyard Brewery and plenty of other bars. PWM is an $11 Uber ride away and the Amtrak station is $9. It's very easy to get a ride here even early Sunday morning

Hotel: The hotel is a gorgeous new construction building which is really pretty to look at both inside and out. There are entrances on both Fore and Hancock. The lobby has a large seating area, business center, full bar which also serves small plates at night, small sundry store and by the elevators is meeting space and a 24 hour fitness center. The common areas are really well designed and gorgeously lit.

Check In: I was told the hotel had opened only four days prior. The front desk staff was extremely helpful. They asked where I would be dining and when I said Eventide they offered to call the restaurant to see how long the wait was. I was thanked for being Marriott Gold but sadly that's the extent of elite recognition at hotels. I was told they had an "AC Lounge" but when I asked if that was a Concierge type lounge or did they mean the lobby bar I was told they meant the latter

Room: My previous AC stays have been in Europe and this one was nicer than them. It still had the minimalist design but it didn't have a weird bathroom with see through window or anything funky like that. The large king was very comfortable, it had a SmarTV with Netflix etc. on it, the bathroom was really big with a nice shower and the lighting was great as was soundproofing.

This hotel is pretty pricey (I paid 45,000 points) but it's really good for downtown Portland. I'd gladly be back.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed review w/ pics - much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for the review! I find it amazing to see all of the new hotels which have popped up in the greater Portland area since I first started visiting in 2002. The first Hyatt in Maine was a big step and now an additional Marriott property is welcome as it is my backup program.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 3:09 pm

Portland, MAINE AC Hotel

Property opened two months ago and I didn’t see a thread on it; if I missed a thread, please merge.Platinum Elite; here for two nights - one night paid and one night points; separate reservations; solo.

downtown Portland; easy drive in off of US 1.

Check-in: Great staff at both check-ins/check-outs. Proactively offered 500 points or $10 F&B credit. Had to press a bit re: F&B credit as it was first offered as a breakfast-only credit. But upon clarification it could be used for small bites at the bar, credit towards $16 breakfast, or market items. The credit could not be used towards alcohol. I took the $10 credits. (Not sure if the credits are $10/person or $10 per total.)

Room: First time at an AC. King room, facing the parking circle. Room was ‘minimalist’, which is OK with me, with one exception. I’d prefer to have a clock rather than relying on my phone as I do not want to see that a bunch of e-mails popped in at 3 AM. That said, I like the concept of the laminate floors, the rain shower, etc. Plenty of reading light also. I doubt that this room was an upgrade. There are rooms facing the harbor, but frankly, you’re facing cruise ships, not an open harbor.

F&B: Bar was open in the afternoons and I assume into the evenings. I did have a cold local draft at the bar and had to laugh because “wine on tap” is on the bar menu. Breakfast, normally $16, was an European buffet; all cold foods including meats and cheeses, as well as a variety of very good quiches. Fruit was fresh. And a Nespresso machine (although the waitress announced that it was the same machine used by Starbucks). Breakfast was worth $6, after the credit, but certainly not $16. There are plenty of breakfast choices within a short walking distance.

Parking: I choose valet - $26/day. Before committing, I asked about other parking, and was told there was a garage a couple of blocks away. There is also a garage across the street, but the posted fee was $50/day. I also noticed that street parking was free from 6 PM to 8 AM daily, limited to 1 hour at all other times.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
AC has a couple of "Spanish" hot egg items, as well as omelets, that are ordered from the server, included in the buffet price.

​​​​​​
Old Oct 1, 2018, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
AC has a couple of "Spanish" hot egg items, as well as omelets, that are ordered from the server, included in the buffet price.

​​​​​​
Good to know. The server did mention that there was one other item available, but she indicated that this was at an extra cost. I wasn't really interested, so I didn't ask further.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Property thread already exists. Will ask the mods to merge this thread into that one. Thanks for the update though!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ont-maine.html

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:49 am

Just stayed here 9/29-9/30. One night, points, husband and I were running the Maine Marathon. Platinum Elite - asked about upgrade, hotel was sold out so none available. Was actually first stay as a PE and forgot that I was allotted points or F/B credit. Wasn't offered either, so will have to call Marriott today and see if I can get that rectified.

Really lovely brand-new hotel. Incredibly friendly staff. I did text through the app and ask for a room away from the elevator and somewhere quiet (since we were running early the next AM), and the women who helped us (Allison) was great. She proactively put aside a room in a separate corridor AND made sure we were away from the ice machine/main hallway. Really appreciated that.

Plenty of bottled water in the room, which was also appreciated. Great location, easy walk to downtown Portland. Valet was reasonable and quick. We live in Boston and come up to Portland often, so we will definitely be making this our go to hotel.

Beds were SO, so comfortable. My husband and I usually both sleep horribly in hotels (especially the first night), and we were both able to get 7-8 hours of great rest the night before our race.
Old Aug 22, 2020, 5:09 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Any more recent experiences here? Anyone have luck with SNAs for the Suites? Looks like they have 9 Suites in total.
Old Aug 25, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Any more recent experiences here? Anyone have luck with SNAs for the Suites? Looks like they have 9 Suites in total.
+1 - any recent experiences (especially during COVID-19) would be much appreciated. I got a stay in October and just curious about the upgrades as well as the service offering.
MilesTalk likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Following up here since nobody seemed to have any current info.

This hotel is VERY elite friendly. Genuine effort to upgrade and provide all elite benefits with a smile.

Staff is also just amazing. Super friendly and eager to ensure you have a nice stay.

Location is just a bit outside the main area, not something I'd been able to grasp from a map. But in hindsight I would still pick it for the newness, the staff, and the treatment all while being able to use credit card free night certificates (Cat 5). Got a fantastic one bedroom suite upgrade as well (Titanium).

Took the time to write up a complete review for the AC Hotel Downtown Waterfront if you want more detail.
CMK10, mymousecapades and PTahCha like this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by MilesTalk
Following up here since nobody seemed to have any current info.

This hotel is VERY elite friendly. Genuine effort to upgrade and provide all elite benefits with a smile.

Staff is also just amazing. Super friendly and eager to ensure you have a nice stay.

Location is just a bit outside the main area, not something I'd been able to grasp from a map. But in hindsight I would still pick it for the newness, the staff, and the treatment all while being able to use credit card free night certificates (Cat 5). Got a fantastic one bedroom suite upgrade as well (Titanium).

Took the time to write up a complete review for the AC Hotel Downtown Waterfront if you want more detail.
Thank you for the in-depth review, this was very helpful, especially being during COVID times. I've never been to Portland. Do you happen to know if the Courtyard, only about half a mile away, is considered more centrally located, or are they equally outside of the main tourist area? I can't seem to find a thread for that property.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by mymousecapades
Do you happen to know if the Courtyard, only about half a mile away, is considered more centrally located, or are they equally outside of the main tourist area? I can't seem to find a thread for that property.
The downtown area is so small I think the difference is negligible. Also with no cruise ships coming in I imagine it's not that busy.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mymousecapades
Thank you for the in-depth review, this was very helpful, especially being during COVID times. I've never been to Portland. Do you happen to know if the Courtyard, only about half a mile away, is considered more centrally located, or are they equally outside of the main tourist area? I can't seem to find a thread for that property.
Yes, the Courtyard is definitely located in the more central area vs the AC being a 7-10 min walk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.