Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2017, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Hotel website:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...otel-shuzenji/

Opening July 2017. Cat 7. Hardly anything on the website yet.

Only 2 suites, so again upgrade chances probably not good. Free wifi & parking.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:49 am
Original Poster

From Marriott press release re: 5 properties opening in Japan:

"Izu Marriott Hotel Shuzenji is nestled into the densely wooded hills of the Izu Peninsula. Interiors of this 128-room hotel merge contemporary Japanese aesthetic with Western influences, some with private open-air baths. Taste grilled regional Japanese cuisine and international favorites at the restaurant, while the two banquet halls are ideal for meetings and special events. Diverse wellness options include a large communal onsen hot spring, bedrock bath and 24-hour Fitness Center. Guests can also enjoy a large gymnasium, golf & putting range as well as tennis courts."

Noticed this on the website:

"There is a special bath tab in some rooms which is faced to Mt.Fuji and any other mountains."
Old Aug 3, 2017, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Well the Marriott press release says its open, but they're not accepting reservations until later in August.

Same w/ the other Japan properties opening, they have a member elite offer of breakfast for 2 daily + 3000 points.

Also has 1-day cancel (currently) vs 2-3 days.

Cheers.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Anyone been yet? I'm considering dropping by in early November, curious if any opinions.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: KF Gold, *G, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Titanium
Anyone been there yet? Read some reviews that the hotel is still in renovations?
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by elephentravels
Anyone been there yet? Read some reviews that the hotel is still in renovations?
Any Reviews? Considering a stay in a few weeks but I won't have a car -- Arriving by train. Does the hotel have a shuttle to train station or is taxi transit every time I want to go somewhere my only option. (I fear yes). Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any Reviews? Considering a stay in a few weeks but I won't have a car -- Arriving by train. Does the hotel have a shuttle to train station or is taxi transit every time I want to go somewhere my only option. (I fear yes). Thanks in advance.
izu-marriott.com

Open the Japanese website using google translate... you will find much more information.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by fmkgb
I stayed there a few times. I should write a proper review but basically:

- the property is very remote If you’re coming without a car, you’ll be at the mercy of the bus that goes to Shuzenji station. There are certainly no “walkable” places nearby besides the Laforet property (the entire hotel used to be Laforet but now they split it into two - so the smaller property is a Marriott and the larger one nearby is Laforet).
- the property is very new, which is nice. The rooms are very modern, though the materials can be a little bit on the cheap side occasionally, but it’s OK, not too obvious (except the floor flexes sometimes). If you’re Platinum, try to get room 767 - this is the executive suite with a straight-on view of Mt. Fuji. added bonus is that it has a hot spring in the room, which is a cool feature.
- the staff is decent - the manager is quite international, but the staff is a little bit untrained sometimes, so you may have to politely point stuff out to them.
- breakfast/dinner is decent. the fresh squeezed juices are absolutely wonderful. the other stuff is okay.

- all in all, although it’s a decent property from the “new” Marriotts (ex-Laforet), this one is by far and away not my favourite. Although there’s nothing _wrong_ with it, there isn’t much of a wow factor besides the Mt Fuji view - and outside of winter, you’re never really guaranteed it anyway because of prevailing warm air currents that hide it in clouds. If you have other things to do in the Izu area then by all means stay there. If you’re just touristing around, though, I would strongly recommend the (somewhat nearby) Yamanaka-ko property, which, for me, is my favourite Marriott in Japan.

Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
any recent stayers?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 2:19 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
any recent stayers?
Last weekend with family of 4. Booked with points and had to pay approxy. 7,000 Yen extra person charge.

They have a lounge in the 2nd floor next to the restaurant. It’s open from 11:00 to 22:00 serving snacks, soft drinks, wine and beer. No substantial meals. As the lounge doesn’t serve any breakfast as a Plat you’ll get free buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant, additionally to 1,000 points or local amenity. The hotel enforces that lounge and breakfast is only available for max. 2 guests. Additional lounge access was 1,050 Yen. Not worth it. Additional breakfast was approx 2,100 Yen for children. Very well worth it.

Good news for families is that the basic rooms fit up to 3 adults plus one child age 12 or younger when sharing existing bedding with parents. We were upgraded from the basic room to a Japanese-Western room with 1 King and 2 Futons.

The onsen bath in the ground floor is old and small. However, next to the usual swimwear-free onsen, is a swimwear area where you can entertain the small ones. Don’t forget to bring swim wear.

Finally, I have to agree with PseudoNim that the other former LaForet Marriotts are nicer, but this one is also fine, and a good base for exploring Izu, ... if you have a car.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
Originally Posted by shonanroger
Finally, I have to agree with PseudoNim that the other former LaForet Marriotts are nicer, but this one is also fine, and a good base for exploring Izu, ... if you have a car.
Great TR. I do have a car and would look foward to explore that area. Although this hotel is not too near Shimoda and Shirahama at the tip of the peninsula...should do as a rest stop for the nigth while doing rounds in that area.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Great value for Platinum guests

I’m at the hotel now. Post #8 sums things up pretty well. I booked the base room and was upgraded to a Potential Fuji view room with private Onsen as Platinum. Lounge OK place to stop for a quick beverage, but not a place I’d want to linger in for more than 5 minutes.

Room nice enough and the private onsen is great, but I think Marriott must have got a really, really, exceptional deal on mediocre quality tan wood product as it is everywhere (as well as the Biwa and Shirahama Marriotts).

This stuff is everywhere

Private onsen has view into room
Nagasaki Joe likes this.

Last edited by schriste; Dec 16, 2018 at 3:19 pm Reason: Update
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:23 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Anybody stayed there recently. Thinking of staying there mid march. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Bump. Any recent experiences here?

Especially interested if anyone knows what room categories (if any) this property uses for Suite Night Awards? I have two upcoming stays booked here for later this year and neither are allowing application of SNA waitlist despite numerous suites and other premium rooms showing available for booking on the same dates.

-FlyerBeek

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.