Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, Design Hotel (Reopening April, 2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gramercy Park Hotel, New York, Design Hotel (Reopening April, 2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
I like this place a lot but its reso system does not interface well with the SPG website. In particular, the hotel doesn't seem to be notified of changes/cancellations, so now I am wasting time trying to get a no show fee reversed
Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:13 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We always stay at the W Union Square but are considering trying one of the new Design hotels on our next stay. I searched but didn't find much on any of the NYC Design properties. Is Gramercy Park the best option? Or 11 Howard? Any suggestions?
Old Dec 10, 2016, 7:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Just checked in to this gorgeous hotel. I will post a full review soon. This is our first Design Hotel Stay. What a wonderful addition to SPG (soon Marriwood)
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:43 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
Just checked in to this gorgeous hotel. I will post a full review soon. This is our first Design Hotel Stay. What a wonderful addition to SPG (soon Marriwood)
^^^

Our custom fireplace is designed to mimic the fireplace in that lobby. I love everything about that hotel, but have yet to stay there! I can't wait to hear what you think after the stay. Enjoy!!!

print screen windows
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:16 am

Stayed here last weekend. First time staying at this hotel. Mrs. Toadman went to school nearby and always dreamed of staying here. Very friendly check in desk. We had some issues with our reservations but they were able to assist and resolve the problem. We stayed on SPG points, and were upgraded to a king bed room. Quite large with a sitting area facing Lexington Ave. Which was a bit on the noise side for Saturday night as there was a B-day celebration going on that night.

Only thing I would say is that it would be nice if they had double paned windows to keep out a bit more of the street noise. We were on the 4th floor. We did walk through the park on Monday morning, as that was something the wife had always wanted to do. Very cold and brisk but nice nonetheless.

We did sit in the bar Sunday night and had a few drinks and dessert. Bartenders were quite friendly and cheerful. Place was packed and 11PM on a Sunday, filled with holiday travelers to the Big Apple.

Overall a very pleasant stay. Would stay here again.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:35 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Will try to post review soon.
Old Dec 26, 2016, 1:32 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

^^^

Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:06 am
Suspended

Hey @damon88, did you ever post a review of the Gramercy Park Hotel?
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:12 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Hey @damon88, did you ever post a review of the Gramercy Park Hotel?

sheesh no- I will add to my list of pending reviews

Life has been busy. We were there last December and really liked the hotel- it felt like an oasis in the city and our room was
wonderful.
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Just checked in on an award stay. Figured I should check it out as I have stayed at pretty much all the other former SPG hotels in NY. After escaping the smoke in California, arriving to the smell of burning wood from the lobby fire place was not the first smell I wanted to experience. No upgrade at all. Just a small interior room facing facing a wall on a lower floor. Should have stayed at the St. Regis where I was upgraded to the Grand Suite. At least I can check this off my list and never feel the need to return. Live and learn.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Just checked in on an award stay. Figured I should check it out as I have stayed at pretty much all the other former SPG hotels in NY. After escaping the smoke in California, arriving to the smell of burning wood from the lobby fire place was not the first smell I wanted to experience. No upgrade at all. Just a small interior room facing facing a wall on a lower floor. Should have stayed at the St. Regis where I was upgraded to the Grand Suite. At least I can check this off my list and never feel the need to return. Live and learn.
Sorry you didn’t get a better room, but that’s to be expected at Design Hotels—unless you pay for a cash upgrade, anyway. But take time to enjoy the Rose Bar—it’s pretty wonderful and one of our favorites in the city (as is the King Cole at the StR). And the food/beverage is also supposed to be quite good, so hope you can enjoy for this stay.

I’d love to hear your overall pro/con of all the NYC hotels in the legacy SPG portfolio...and perhaps eventually those in the legacy Marriott portfolio too. I bet others would too.

Have a great holiday and a well earned escape from the California fires.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:00 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I totally agree that chances for an upgrade are much higher at a St Regis than at a Design Brand. I often use my points and SNAs at St Regis Hotels and in 4 years have always received a Suite upgrade (knock on wood)

We had a lovely stay at the Gramercy Park in December 2016. We split our trip between an award stay at another hotel and a paid stay at the Gramercy. It was worth it- we loved our room at the Gramercy— with Schnabel’s unique palette and Boho-chic style with richly layered velvet curtains. We felt we had stepped back in time. There was pretty much zero Platinum recognition but we are looking forward to staying there again. Christmas time was a wonderful time to visit but next time we plan to stay when it is warmer and we can take advantage of the park.

Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:10 pm

I wouldn’t ever redeem points here again given that you can use the same amount of points at the St Regis or Chatwal and have a much better experience. Since is a design hotel, you can only book into the lowest category of room with points and with no upgrade, no breakfast, etc it is really just a terrible value for a Platinum member-especially when it goes back up to the highest category in 2019. I prefer the rooms at the 11 Howard design property to be honest.

——

Definitely made a mistake staying here. Party going on downstairs and the base of the music is literally shaking the bed. Front desk said they would talk to them but looks like it will be going on all night. Brings back memories of the W Hollywood when it first opened. Plus the drone of the HVAC system even when it is turned off and people talking loudly in the hallway. Guess tonight was not meant for sleeping.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Nov 17, 2018 at 10:57 pm
Old Nov 17, 2018, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Sorry you didn’t get a better room, but that’s to be expected at Design Hotels—unless you pay for a cash upgrade, anyway. But take time to enjoy the Rose Bar—it’s pretty wonderful and one of our favorites in the city (as is the King Cole at the StR). And the food/beverage is also supposed to be quite good, so hope you can enjoy for this stay.

I’d love to hear your overall pro/con of all the NYC hotels in the legacy SPG portfolio...and perhaps eventually those in the legacy Marriott portfolio too. I bet others would too.

Have a great holiday and a well earned escape from the California fires.
Thanks. I am only here for one night—just wanted to check it out while passing through to visit family. Tomorrow I will get the keys to Gramercy Park and check that out.

Have only stayed at the Edition on the Marriott side of things in NYC a bit over a year ago and at that point the front desk was a bit confused about what earned points and didn’t and what the benefits for SPG people were supposed to be. Will be onto my 100th Starwood night this year before Thanksgiving starts so haven’t had much time for the non legacy Starwood brands.
damon88, remymartin and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 8:35 am

To close out the bad stay, Gramercy Park is closed “due to weather” so didn’t even get to do that. Bad luck over all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.