Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Area Starwood Hotels (General Discussion 2008 Onward)

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by kevino
Ouch. I wouldn't pay $300+ per night in SF, even if I could afford it.
Until recently, you could snag a rate of $291 per night at the St. Regis WITHOUT any SPG50 coupon.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AC*P, SPG
Just looking for some advice from people familiar with the area as I will be traveling to SFO on May 17-19.

I am a SPG base so upgrades will not apply to me.

I'm debating between (per night rates):
LM SFO - $229+ for a Superior, fully prepaid on spg.com
Westin St. Francis - $154+ for a Deluxe, fully prepaid through orbitz.com (pkg'd with my flights through UA)
Westin Market Street - $170.10+ for a Traditional, 24 hour cxl policy (AAA Rate), or 4000 pts + $60 (C+P).

I don't foresee us being in the room too often, however I would still like to stay somewhere half decent. I've read a few negative reviews about the St. Francis, so I'm wondering if it really IS that bad. I know a lot of people reading are Plats that haven't stayed in an non-upgraded room in a while, but hey, worth a try right?

4000 pts + $60/night seems like a really good deal for Market Street, albeit for a standard Traditional Room. But...so does $229 + taxes for the LM.

Any advice would be well appreciated! ^
Old May 5, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by incognism
Just looking for some advice from people familiar with the area as I will be traveling to SFO on May 17-19.

I am a SPG base so upgrades will not apply to me.

I'm debating between (per night rates):
LM SFO - $229+ for a Superior, fully prepaid on spg.com
Westin St. Francis - $154+ for a Deluxe, fully prepaid through orbitz.com (pkg'd with my flights through UA)
Westin Market Street - $170.10+ for a Traditional, 24 hour cxl policy (AAA Rate), or 4000 pts + $60 (C+P).

I don't foresee us being in the room too often, however I would still like to stay somewhere half decent. I've read a few negative reviews about the St. Francis, so I'm wondering if it really IS that bad. I know a lot of people reading are Plats that haven't stayed in an non-upgraded room in a while, but hey, worth a try right?

4000 pts + $60/night seems like a really good deal for Market Street, albeit for a standard Traditional Room. But...so does $229 + taxes for the LM.

Any advice would be well appreciated! ^
I got Westin Market St. for $109 and $119/night on HW and PL. Betterbidding.com can help you figure out which hotel you're getting before you bid, if you're not interested in getting points.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by hull22
I got Westin Market St. for $109 and $119/night on HW and PL. Betterbidding.com can help you figure out which hotel you're getting before you bid, if you're not interested in getting points.
Thanks for the quick reply. The thing is, I AM interested in getting points, and I know that if I use HW/PL and spend some time plugging in bids, I could probably scrounge up a good prepaid non-points eligible rate. The thing is, I want to start building up my SPG account and I'm also in line for a 5000 SPG point bonus through my MBNA SPG MC for my next stay at a Starwood property.

I threw in the St. Francis' as more of an afterthought, just cause it popped up when I was pulling up my flight arrangements.

What my question probably really is, is which is the better value? LM @ $229+ or Market Street with 4000 pts + $60?
Old May 5, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I think the St. Francis is in the best location across the street from Union Square.

You can't beat the cash and points at the Westin Market St. though.

The LM is near a couple of theatres, but not as many as the St. Francis is near. There's a half price ticket booth in Union Square across the street from the St. Francis.

Every U.S. President since Teddy Roosevelt has stayed at the St. Francis.
Old May 6, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Originally Posted by kevino
Every U.S. President since Teddy Roosevelt has stayed at the St. Francis.
True, but no President has ever died there (although Jerry Ford came close and Al Jolson did) - for that you have to go to the Palace a bit down Market Street.

Last edited by VPescado; May 6, 2008 at 12:11 pm
Old May 6, 2008, 6:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Frankly, if you want to build up your points quickly a stay a Le Merdien will help and it is definitely worth it for the lovely rooms and the great location. I was just there two weeks ago and love this hotel. It's very zen as are most LMs. It has terrific, comfortable rooms and is far from the maddening crowd of Union Square. LM in SF is attached to the lovely Embaradero shops and is exactly six blocks from the Ferry Building. Union Square is less than 10 minutes away on foot. SOMA is even closer.

I've stayed at the Westin St Francis 4X in the last 3 years and each time the experience has gone further down hill for me. My last room on the 22nd floor was shockingly tired and worn out in appearance. Though the parking valets and bellmen were unfailingly pleasant, I felt the front desk staff was cold and indifferent. Maybe it's the mobs of tourists, the harried font desk staff or the poor value for the money spent here, but I doubt I'll stay there again.

What is the Palace going for during your trip? The Palace is well located on Market (right above the Montgomery Street Bart Station). Typically, when LM is sold out or priced too high for a classic room I'll stay here for the historic elegance.
Old May 6, 2008, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by MiAAmiNice
Frankly, if you want to build up your points quickly a stay a Le Merdien will help and it is definitely worth it for the lovely rooms and the great location. I was just there two weeks ago and love this hotel. It's very zen as are most LMs. It has terrific, comfortable rooms and is far from the maddening crowd of Union Square. LM in SF is attached to the lovely Embaradero shops and is exactly six blocks from the Ferry Building. Union Square is less than 10 minutes away on foot. SOMA is even closer.

I've stayed at the Westin St Francis 4X in the last 3 years and each time the experience has gone further down hill for me. My last room on the 22nd floor was shockingly tired and worn out in appearance. Though the parking valets and bellmen were unfailingly pleasant, I felt the front desk staff was cold and indifferent. Maybe it's the mobs of tourists, the harried font desk staff or the poor value for the money spent here, but I doubt I'll stay there again.

What is the Palace going for during your trip? The Palace is well located on Market (right above the Montgomery Street Bart Station). Typically, when LM is sold out or priced too high for a classic room I'll stay here for the historic elegance.
Thanks for your reply. It's exactly the sort of feedback I was looking for.

The Palace is booking at $279+ on spg.com.

Rates are starting to drop a bit. I can get $161+ for a Traditional at Market Street. LM has a prepaid rate on spg.com for a Superior at $199+.

I'm starting to lean towards LM, as the more I read about Market Street and LM, the more it's showing that the ~$40/night difference is well worth it at LM.

EDIT: That being said, the SUMMER2 rate for Market Street is back up, so there's rates of $149+/169+ for Traditional and Deluxe rooms respectively (and 5000 bonus SPG points!) I've searched the Westin site high and low and I can't tell what the difference between the two rooms are (other then maybe a higher floor). Does anybody know?

Last edited by incognism; May 6, 2008 at 8:04 pm
Old May 6, 2008, 9:27 pm

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by incognism
EDIT: That being said, the SUMMER2 rate for Market Street is back up, so there's rates of $149+/169+ for Traditional and Deluxe rooms respectively (and 5000 bonus SPG points!) I've searched the Westin site high and low and I can't tell what the difference between the two rooms are (other then maybe a higher floor). Does anybody know?

The only difference is a higher floor. The WMS is very average and not too polished when it comes to service but has a great location and would do you well for that price (and the bonus points!). The bed is comfortable, the room will be clean and the shower will be hot.

Just a quick note on one of your previous posts, if you book pre-paid through Orbitz which was one of your considerations be aware you would not get stay credit or points for your room. Also, Cash and Points won't get you a stay credit or points for the cash portion either.
Old May 7, 2008, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by VPescado
True, but no President has ever died there (although Jerry Ford came close and Al Jolson did) - for that you have to go to the Palace a bit down Market Street.
Haha, quite true.

And Fatty Arbuckle's career died there.
Old May 11, 2008, 7:45 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
The Palace is likely to have high rates over May 17-19 since the Software and Information Industry annual conferences are there starting the 18th.

Personally, I like the W (was just there last weekend) -- right next to SF MOMA, and a short walk from Market and shopping.
Old May 11, 2008, 8:17 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
5,000 points is a lot of points to pass on for an anticipated better room in Le Meridien.

As a base SPG member you may end up with a room with no view at any of the Starwood hotels. Le Meridien is surrounded by other skyscrapers and you need to be up above about the 10th floor to see over any other buildings. I do like the location of Le Meridien better with all the features of the Embarcadero Shops, Resturants, and theaters.

Westin Market is a minute walk from the St. Regis and W Hotels. You are better located to transportation options at the Westin Market. The rooms have large flat-screen tv, and while the view is not as pretty to the western part of SF from the Westin, it is the same view most people get at the W Hotel (compared to the possibility of having a North Beach/Coit Tower view from Le Meridien if your room is high enough).
Old May 11, 2008, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by satori
5,000 points is a lot of points to pass on for an anticipated better room in Le Meridien.

As a base SPG member you may end up with a room with no view at any of the Starwood hotels. Le Meridien is surrounded by other skyscrapers and you need to be up above about the 10th floor to see over any other buildings. I do like the location of Le Meridien better with all the features of the Embarcadero Shops, Resturants, and theaters.

Westin Market is a minute walk from the St. Regis and W Hotels. You are better located to transportation options at the Westin Market. The rooms have large flat-screen tv, and while the view is not as pretty to the western part of SF from the Westin, it is the same view most people get at the W Hotel (compared to the possibility of having a North Beach/Coit Tower view from Le Meridien if your room is high enough).
I'm booked into the Westin Market Street for this weekend. Thanks all for their advice. In the end, the 5000 points was the clincher. I'll probably be in SFO a few more times in the year, so I'm sure I'll have a chance to stay at the LM and other SPG properties sooner or later.
Old May 13, 2008, 8:46 am

Questions about Palace

I'm staying at the Palace the weekend of May 22 and had a couple of questions about the hotel and area. I'm taking my wife, our 14 month old son and mother-in law (it was a mother's day present) for a weekend in SF and wine country.

1. I'm renting a car to drive up to wine country from Dollar for two days which doesn't seem to be too far away from the hotel according to the map. Anyone know if its walkable within 20 minutes? Any other rental car places closer? I'm actually renting and returning each day so I don't have to pay for parking at the hotel.

2. Is the BART station literally in front of the hotel? How long is the ride from SFO? I think we will end up taking this from SFO so we don't have to hassle with putting a baby car seat into and out of a cab. I don't want to hassle with luggage and a toddler if the BART station is more than a couple of blocks from the hotel.

3. How far of a walk is it to Fisherman's wharf from the hotel? Is there a bus or trolley that runs close to this hotel?

4. Any recommendations on reasonably priced good restaurants near the hotel? We like seafood, steaks, pastas/pizza, sushi. There is one small cafe that my wife and I love which might be a ways off near Chestnut and 21st street: Pacific Catch. But we'll definitely hit this one up along with Scoma's of course.

5. Anyone have any experiences with ABC Bay Area Child Care agency? It is the agency that the hotel recommended in case we want to use child care. Right now as it stands he is coming with us to wine country. I know it won't be as enjoyable for me, but this is my third time going and my wife and mother-in-law have all gone before. I'll be the designated driver and baby sitter while my wife and in law do the tastings since it is their gift from us.

Thanks in advance for your replies!
Old May 13, 2008, 9:12 am

<1. I'm renting a car to drive up to wine country from Dollar for two days which doesn't seem to be too far away from the hotel according to the map. Anyone know if its walkable within 20 minutes? Any other rental car places closer? I'm actually renting and returning each day so I don't have to pay for parking at the hotel.>

I'm not sure where the Dollar office is, but many downtown hotels have car rental locations. You should be able to do a search with any of the car rental companies for off-airport rentals. Downtown zip code is 94105 (and several others).

<2. Is the BART station literally in front of the hotel? How long is the ride from SFO? I think we will end up taking this from SFO so we don't have to hassle with putting a baby car seat into and out of a cab. I don't want to hassle with luggage and a toddler if the BART station is more than a couple of blocks from the hotel.>

Yes, BART is right in front of hotel, if you go out the Market Street door. I think the ride to SFO is about 35 minutes.

<3. How far of a walk is it to Fisherman's wharf from the hotel? Is there a bus or trolley that runs close to this hotel?>

I think the Wharf is about two miles, if you walk down Market and along the Embarcadero. There is a streetcar ("F"?) that'll take you nearly the whole way.

<4. Any recommendations on reasonably priced good restaurants near the hotel? We like seafood, steaks, pastas/pizza, sushi. There is one small cafe that my wife and I love which might be a ways off near Chestnut and 21st street: Pacific Catch. But we'll definitely hit this one up along with Scoma's of course.>

I'm vegetarian, so I'll leave this for someone else! On the other hand, if you want to try meatless...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.