Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Phishing attempt (Important Notice Regarding Your Marriott Account)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum

I just got a very official looking email with following content. Seems like phishing attempt (links in the email point to www dot marriott-email dot com).

Anyone else has this ?

Dear shukar,

The security of your Marriott Rewards® member account is of the utmost importance to us. There have recently been attempts made to gain unauthorized access to a small number of members' online accounts. Although your account was not included in these attempts, as a precaution, we ask that you visit Marriott.com and change your password as soon as possible to assist us in ensuring the security of your account:

• You will need to change your password on Marriott.com from your desktop since updates cannot be made from your mobile device.

• Select a unique password, at least 8 characters long, that is not used with any other online account you may have.

• Security experts urge that a more secure password contains a minimum of one capital letter and one number.

Our Data Privacy and Protection team has been working diligently to implement safeguards to block these attempts and maintain the ongoing security of all member accounts.

These types of online attacks become possible when individuals use the same email address and password combination for multiple online accounts. The email address and password combination becomes more susceptible to being collected via external sources and then used in an attempt to gain unauthorized access to other online accounts, such as your Marriott Rewards account.

If you have any questions, please call Marriott Rewards Guest Services at 800-952-8876 for assistance.

We take this matter very seriously as we have a long-standing commitment to protect the privacy of the personal information that our guests entrust to us. Thank you for your prompt attention to this important notice.

Link (removed for posting here) -- UPDATE PASSWORD NOW

Sincerely,

Marriott Rewards Guest Services

Terms Of Use :: Privacy Policy

This email was sent to you by Marriott International, Inc. based on a past or present relationship with Marriott.

You may receive customer service notifications even if you have unsubscribed from Marriott promotional email.

Marriott Rewards
310 Bearcat Drive Salt Lake City, UT 84115-2544 USA

©2013 Marriott International, Inc.

Last edited by shukar; Jul 16, 2013 at 10:05 am Reason: Remove personal info and remove URL link to phishing site
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by shukar
I just got a very official looking email with following content. Seems like phishing attempt (links in the email point to www.marriott-email.com).

Anyone else has this ?
I too received it
Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I received it also.

What tipped me off is when i went to the Marriott site - i never link off an email as such - it only requested a 6 character password not the 8 character password the email states.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP
I received as well.. Its possible they have been hacked and email list was stolen (but not passwords).
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:48 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I got it too.

That said, I did go to the Marriott site (not following the links in the email) and updated by password.

Even if the phishers don't have my password, always good to be safe and update your password from time to time.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: Status Free
Same here

I got it, but changed my password via the site, not the link, anyway
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
Hope Marriott reps who visits this boards notifies the IT/security department and takes some actions to protect our data as well as to go after the senders and owners of marriott-email dot com domain.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:10 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Got it too.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:14 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Got it too. One of the better phishing attempts I've seen in recent times.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: DL GOLD
If it's phishing, it's one of the best I have seen.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:27 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Don't think it is phishing, but better safe than sorry.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:36 am

i got it as well, and it threw me by asking for an 8 character passowrd, when I knew my old one was 7...
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
I'm not so sure it is a phishing attempt. I received the same email and I looked back through my old emails and found an email I received a week ago from Marriott Rewards with subject: Your Account – Summer Savings: Miami | DC | Nationwide and all the links I rolled over were marriott-email.com just like this one.

I think their recommendation is that you use an 8 character password for better security, but I don't think their system actually requires it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:08 am

Programs: Hertz PC,National EE,Hilton Diamond,Marriott Titanium, AS Gold 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by shukar
I just got a very official looking email with following content. Seems like phishing attempt (links in the email point to www dot marriott-email dot com).

Anyone else has this ?

Dear shukar,

The security of your Marriott Rewards® member account is of the utmost importance to us. There have recently been attempts made to gain unauthorized access to a small number of members' online accounts. Although your account was not included in these attempts, as a precaution, we ask that you visit Marriott.com and change your password as soon as possible to assist us in ensuring the security of your account:

• You will need to change your password on Marriott.com from your desktop since updates cannot be made from your mobile device.

• Select a unique password, at least 8 characters long, that is not used with any other online account you may have.

• Security experts urge that a more secure password contains a minimum of one capital letter and one number.

Our Data Privacy and Protection team has been working diligently to implement safeguards to block these attempts and maintain the ongoing security of all member accounts.

These types of online attacks become possible when individuals use the same email address and password combination for multiple online accounts. The email address and password combination becomes more susceptible to being collected via external sources and then used in an attempt to gain unauthorized access to other online accounts, such as your Marriott Rewards account.

If you have any questions, please call Marriott Rewards Guest Services at 800-952-8876 for assistance.

We take this matter very seriously as we have a long-standing commitment to protect the privacy of the personal information that our guests entrust to us. Thank you for your prompt attention to this important notice.

Link (removed for posting here) -- UPDATE PASSWORD NOW

Sincerely,

Marriott Rewards Guest Services

Terms Of Use :: Privacy Policy

This email was sent to you by Marriott International, Inc. based on a past or present relationship with Marriott.

You may receive customer service notifications even if you have unsubscribed from Marriott promotional email.

Marriott Rewards
310 Bearcat Drive Salt Lake City, UT 84115-2544 USA

©2013 Marriott International, Inc.
Yep got this email as well as a phone call
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:11 am
Suspended

just remember, never click on the link from the email. go to marriott and change your password - no harm in that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.