Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Using Marriott points to book for someone else

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Guys, I have quite a few reward points with Marriott and I'm a Platinum member. I want to book a 5 night honeymoon vacation for my sister and her husband.

According to my research:

1. Marriott does not allow me to book for the hotel for someone else. So I can't book for my sister.

2. Marriott allows transfer of points to my legal spouse or domestic partner. My sister is neither (and thankfully so). I don't have a legal spouse or domestic partner. So I am not allowed to transfer points to my sister, as Marriott say on its website. Is there a loophole in this? How do they check this when my sister and myself share the same last name. I registered my sister for a Marriott reward account and put her address the same as mine, though she's actually living in another country.

Hyatt allows me to book for someone else, but then my Diamond status won't be transferred when my sister stays at their hotel.

Please help~

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who told you you can't book for someone else? I definitely have.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 3:20 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
1. You can book both paid and award reservations for anyone you like. I have done it many times for friends and family. No issues. Now if you are expecting that the other persons will get all your elite benefits, that might not happen as they aren't the elite members. But you shouldn't have any issues with making reservations for someone else.

2. Actually, Marriott will allow you to "combine" points between any two accounts (not just spouse accounts as mentioned in the T&Cs.) Marriott Concierge has validated that this is in fact a feature and not just a periodic mistake. Of course you will need to wait until you are ordering the award to make the point transfer. You will receive a faxed form from Marriott, fill it out, sign it, get the other account holder's signature and then fax it back. Then all you need to do is order the award.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by gtu2004
According to my research:

1. Marriott does not allow me to book for the hotel for someone else. So I can't book for my sister.
Marriott certainly do allow this I have done it several times for my relatives and they generally get treated as me (plat prem). You cannot book on line you have to telephone to do it, so your research probably relates to on line booking.

Tom
Old Nov 17, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
I have booked a reward stay for friends online and then called to have the reservation put in their name. No problem. The only consideration is the credit card that guarantees the room. You can either trust that they will give the front desk their own credit card when they check in, or get a cc number from them to have placed on the reservation. I also think I've had them call and place their own cc number on file as the guarantee. I've never had a problem. They did not, however, receive my elite benefits....although for a special anniversary trip recently in Paris I requested a "nice" room for them and they were given a larger bed in a room with a courtyard view. They said it was lovely. The hotel also gave them some champagne. Way to go...above and beyond....but most appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
You can and I have, I think if anything the difference is you cannot do so online, you need to call reservations. As was pointed out earlier you can probably make an online reservation then call and have the names changed if that is more convenient for you.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We all seem to agree.....points can be used to book rooms for others without issue. I do this dang near monthly it seems.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
If you book a room for someone else with points and that person has elite status (e.g. Gold Elite), can you add that person's MR to the reservation so he/she can get Elite benefits during the stay (e.g. Internet, lounge access, room upgrade) or does that person have to wait until check-in and show his/her membership card to get the benefits?
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Time traveller
If you book a room for someone else with points and that person has elite status (e.g. Gold Elite), can you add that person's MR to the reservation so he/she can get Elite benefits during the stay (e.g. Internet, lounge access, room upgrade) or does that person have to wait until check-in and show his/her membership card to get the benefits?
They will have your status for all of that - so unless they are a higher status than you, there's no point.

This has always been the case each time I've used my points for others. They get arrival gift, room upgrade, etc.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by star_world
They will have your status for all of that - so unless they are a higher status than you, there's no point.

This has always been the case each time I've used my points for others. They get arrival gift, room upgrade, etc.
That is not strictly true, if you are not staying then they shouldn't get your benefits and you shouldn't be on the reservation. If the reservation is in your name and you add them as guests then they would most likely get the benefits but if the hotel chooses to they could refuse until/unless you actually check in. I have done it both ways (inadvertently) but if you put your name on the reservation with no intention of staying then I think officially you are breaking the rules.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 2:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ukchris
That is not strictly true, if you are not staying then they shouldn't get your benefits and you shouldn't be on the reservation. If the reservation is in your name and you add them as guests then they would most likely get the benefits but if the hotel chooses to they could refuse until/unless you actually check in. I have done it both ways (inadvertently) but if you put your name on the reservation with no intention of staying then I think officially you are breaking the rules.
No, I always do it the official way - described above - where the guest staying is the only name on the reservation, and each time the MR desk has pointed out that they will get my benefits because I'm Plat When they checked in they always, without exception received those benefits.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

thanks guys. I will try to book today and let y'all know.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Just as you guys said, through phone i was able to book for my sister! Thanks!!!!!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by star_world

+1
Old Mar 21, 2012, 2:07 pm

Instead of starting a new thread ... I will just ask here.

I'm MR Plat, and I need to use a family member's (Silver) MR account to book a points reservation for me...how can I make sure I will receive my Plat benefits? Is it at all possible to add my MR# onto the reservation as well?

Any answers will be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.