FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/535460-marriott-family-hotels-hong-kong-pre-2014-a.html)

stimpy Jul 28, 2000 3:13 am

Marriott-family hotels in Hong Kong, pre-2014

Has anyone been to this hotel? How is it?

What other hotels are nearby within a block or two?

GK Jul 28, 2000 3:44 am

There was a thred last week 'October in Hong Kong' where some reviews of Marriott HKG were posted.

In the same complex are the Conrad Int'l and the Shangri-La - all three are excellent.

bdschobel Jul 28, 2000 5:09 am

I've stayed there three times during 1992-98. It is really a very nice hotel, with great restaurants and a nice Concierge Lounge that seems to be open all the time. The pool is exceptionally nice, on a 7th floor outdoor terrace. I would stay there again without hesitation.

Bruce

doc Jul 28, 2000 8:31 am

Agree with the above comments and the Pacific Place location is great. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/002025.html

sdix Jul 28, 2000 2:27 pm

Great hotel.

Conrad and Shangri-La are close by. It is a Marriott so expect Americanization whereas the Shangri-La has more of a Asian flavour.

The Concierge level is great. It's closer to the harbour so the rooms have a slightly better view of Kowloon but the rooms are small. By design of the hotel, some of the rooms are stange shapes.

stimpy Jul 29, 2000 5:55 am

I'm going to a conference there and normally like to stay in the same hotel as the conference, but if the Shangri-La is close enough I'll take it. My membership in the Shangri-La Golden Circle club is worth more than my Marriott Silver card. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Flyaway Jul 29, 2000 7:21 am

Stimpy: I beleive you said that you hold the US Amex Platinum card. Shangri-La is a member of Amex's FHRS program. You would therefore qualify for the upgrade, late check-out etc..

doc Jul 29, 2000 7:52 am

Stimpy has a BLACK card! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

But actually the GC membership, even if not top tier level, should easily do the trick! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

BTW - You'll get a great view of Victoria Harbor/or Peak and I absolutely love the food at the Island SL!

bdschobel Jul 31, 2000 8:41 am

You can get from the Marriott to the Shangri-La without even going outside. They are attached to one shopping center.

Bruce

sfpaul900 Aug 5, 2000 1:36 pm

If you can get a harbour view, the smallish room will seem bigger. The lounge is very nice, if a bit crowded, and the food is good. The hotel is not as luxurious as the Shangri-La and it is a bit of a hike through the shopping center to get back and forth (different levels, etc). The staff at the JW is a joy, not ultra-formal like the Mandarin or the Ritz-Carlton, but genuinely friendly. Btw, the train from the airport is the way to go. Have a great trip, wish I was going, it's a fabulous city.
Paul

ROADRUNNER Aug 7, 2000 8:50 pm

The JW was a highlight of my HK trip. I used a COUPON for a week's stay. Got a Executive level room next to the lounge with a view of the harbor. The electric drapes permit views from the bed! Gift's from the owner included a canister of IRON BUDDHA TEA, that is picked by MONKEYS, and a knit pullover shirt.
The 3 hotels are all accessed on the lower subway level filled with 'good' restaurants. I wonder if the prices came down with the takeover. Am sure the Shangri-La would be as inviting as the Marriott.

stargold Nov 8, 2000 7:12 am

JW in Hong Kong...

I have heard good things about the exec. floor of the JW. But as I probably won't be paying all that bucks for the room, I am wondering how the hotel is on the whole... and more specifically, quality of standard rooms?

Oh, and how much is the limo transfer usually?

Thanks!

bdschobel Nov 8, 2000 7:47 am

I stayed in a standard room in 1992, and it was essentially the same as the Executive Floor, where I have stayed twice since then. The lounge on the Executive Floor is fabulous; that's the big advantage.

Forget limo service. Just take the express train and a taxi from the train station.

Bruce

sbrower Nov 8, 2000 10:15 am

Stayed about 8 years ago. The Jacuzzi on the roof really is worth a visit.

belle3388 Jul 17, 2001 12:07 am

New World Renaissance Kowloon

has anyone stayed there? any input would be much appreciated

belle

bdschobel Jul 17, 2001 6:13 am

I stayed there on June 4. Nice Concierge floor and lounge. Not a spectacular location, but accessible by bus (#4) from Kowloon stop on the airport train. Most rooms have a poor view. No real complaints.

Bruce

TheAuditor Jul 17, 2001 10:58 am

It is the best value of the three Marriott properties in the area. It is a long walk going to the subway station, but located in the best tourist shopping region.

belle3388 Jul 18, 2001 7:25 pm

i checked, for 12/27 till 1/1/02, Kowloon Renaissance's rate is much lower than that of Hong Kong JW Marriott

when it is too good to be true, kinda makes one wonder....

bdschobel Jul 19, 2001 7:11 am

The JW is a much nicer hotel in a better location. I've stayed there three times. But if the price differential is large enough -- and you're paying -- I would choose the Renaissance.

Bruce

belle3388 Jul 19, 2001 8:51 am

yes, Bruce, the difference is substantial, e.g. @ JW, per room is 1950HKD and Renaissance Kowloon is only 980HKD!

two rooms for five nights out of my own pocket, Renaissance it is!

thanks!

belle

UA_Eagle Nov 12, 2001 8:41 pm

Questions re Hong Kong JW Mariott...

Hi,

I got a couple of questions about JW Mariott in Hong Kong.
- Has anyone ever taken the hotel limo from the airport? Was it worth it (I think about $90 USD)??
- Does it have an executive lounge that is open on weekends, if I can swing a upgrade to that level?

Thanks!

P.S. Some folks might notice I'm asking the same thing over in Hilton forum--I'm just trying to decide between this hotel and the other one. :-)

[This message has been edited by UA_Eagle (edited 11-12-2001).]

3Cforme Nov 12, 2001 9:05 pm

I didn't take the airport limo in March, but a regular taxi was easy enough. The separate destination lines are well marked (and the taxis color coded!). There was also a "helper" to give drivers the hotel names in Chinese. Taxi was about $50 each way.

The lounge offers a -moderately- obstructed view of the harbor and an excellent breakfast and hors d'oeuvre selection. I was comped to exec level with Marr Gold.

Enjoy your visit.

Jib Nov 13, 2001 11:38 am

This is a great hotel, the staff is really great. The bar rocks at nite http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

This hotel was just rated one of the best in HK, by one of the travel magazines, sorry, I do not remember which one.

The club level is open on weekends and they serve reasonable breakfast and snacks.

Go for the upgrade.

baglady Nov 13, 2001 10:54 pm

Hi,

I always take the hotel car - imho worth it if you have luggage, etc. that you don't want to deal with though most people I know do the airport train. I still prefer the hotel car.

Great property, though so is the Conrad. Have a great trip!

JohnnyGlobal Nov 14, 2001 3:20 pm

I've gone to/from the JW by just about every means possible. The hotel car is great, if you don't mind spending the money that way. Last time I took it, I think it was a Mercedes S500 or something...great and comfortable ride. Plus, the driver pulled right up to the doors at HKG, helped me to the check-in counter, and then wheeled my luggage all the way over to the security check. All completely unnecessary, but still very nice.

I usually treat myself by doing that one way and then taking the Airport Express train and connecting bus service the other. Somehow, I rationalize spending the money that way.

The lounge and exec. floors are great, IMHO. Last time I got a nice corner room on the floor just upstairs from the lounge. Very nice with great service (which you will find no matter what room you are in). The lounge is particularly nice with a healthy selection of food and drinks morning, noon, and night. You can make a meal of it, but that would be a shame given all of the great restaurants nearby. But it's nice to know that it's an option. And the view is, as already noted, pretty nice.

Enjoy your trip.

UA_Eagle Nov 20, 2001 12:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyGlobal:
I've gone to/from the JW by just about every means possible. The hotel car is great, if you don't mind spending the money that way. Last time I took it, I think it was a Mercedes S500 or something...great and comfortable ride. Plus, the driver pulled right up to the doors at HKG, helped me to the check-in counter, and then wheeled my luggage all the way over to the security check. All completely unnecessary, but still very nice.

I usually treat myself by doing that one way and then taking the Airport Express train and connecting bus service the other. Somehow, I rationalize spending the money that way.

The lounge and exec. floors are great, IMHO. Last time I got a nice corner room on the floor just upstairs from the lounge. Very nice with great service (which you will find no matter what room you are in). The lounge is particularly nice with a healthy selection of food and drinks morning, noon, and night. You can make a meal of it, but that would be a shame given all of the great restaurants nearby. But it's nice to know that it's an option. And the view is, as already noted, pretty nice.

Enjoy your trip.
</font>
Sounds great. That's what I was thinking of--taking the limo from the airport to the hotel and then take the train when I leave HKG.

BTW, if there are rooms, do I have any chance, as a non-elite member of Mariott Rewards, of getting a complimentary upgrade to Exec level? Or am I dreaming? ;-)

Thanks again!

doc Nov 20, 2001 7:05 pm

Another "yeah" vote for the JW Ex Lounge! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

wideman Nov 21, 2001 9:59 am

I am confused about this hotel (at which I've never stayed): specifically, why it doesn't seem to have good views.

The hotel is adjacent to the promenade, and it's between the Shangri-La and ex-Regent, both of which have spectacular views of the harbour, at least from the rooms I've been in.

So what's the story with the Renaissance? Did the recent (or maybe ongoing) construction change anything with respect to roomos with a harbour view?

ORD - HKG FF Nov 21, 2001 4:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wideman:
I am confused about this hotel (at which I've never stayed): specifically, why it doesn't seem to have good views.

The hotel is adjacent to the promenade, and it's between the Shangri-La and ex-Regent, both of which have spectacular views of the harbour, at least from the rooms I've been in.

So what's the story with the Renaissance? Did the recent (or maybe ongoing) construction change anything with respect to roomos with a harbour view?
</font>
The hotel is on the harbour but all the harbour facing rooms are not part of the hotel - are private residences/condo's.

They have refurbished it nicely from previous days - have stayed there about 17 nights since Sept. For the price differential I would definitely stay there.

PETEFLYS Dec 9, 2001 5:36 pm

BEST PROPERTY IN HONG KONG ??

Which hotel would you stay at in Hong Kong going with the wife for 4 nights??

skofarrell Dec 9, 2001 8:32 pm

The Ritz Carlton on Connaught, which is where I stayed with my wife for 4 days in 1998.

We did a suite on the club floor for a stunninly cheap "summer rate", booked on their web site.

The best part was when we arrived, they had pre-printed about a dozen business cards in english and chinese, with the RC address and my name "In Residence"

Great hotel, great experience.

skofarrell Dec 9, 2001 8:35 pm

If memory serves, it was about $300 US a night, and we had a spectacular Harbor View.

liketofly Dec 9, 2001 10:24 pm

Either Conrad or island-shangri-La

wideman Dec 10, 2001 6:00 am

The sight of Victoria Harbor from the Kowloon side at night is the most breathtaking city view I've ever had the thrill to see. I can't imagine ever tiring of it, and I can't imagine going all the way to Hong Kong and not enjoying that view as much as possible. Add to that the excitement of Kowloon, and the choice of hotels is relatively easy:

The Kowloon Shangri-La or the Inter-Continental Hong Kong (formerly the Regent), being sure to reserve a Harbour-view room. Both hotels are excellent: comfortable and well-supplied rooms, great service, nice restaurants both inside and nearby.

baglady Dec 10, 2001 2:11 pm

Island Shangri-La without question

NoStressHere Dec 16, 2001 7:37 pm

Okay, without going to a Days Inn level property, what would folks select if budget is an issue. $300 per night is not exactly chicken feed for most of us.

3Cforme Dec 16, 2001 8:39 pm

Since you posted this in the Marriott forum, perhaps you expected a Marriott recommendation? You may find a deal through a consolidator for the JW Marriott (not a harbor view room, though) for less than $200/night. The JW is in the same massive retail complex as the afore-mentioned Conrad and Shangri-la. I stayed at the JW in March and recommend it highly; as a Gold I enjoyed the upgrade to exec. level.

rjh Dec 17, 2001 10:02 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
Okay, without going to a Days Inn level property, what would folks select if budget is an issue. ...</font>

Easiest way to hold down costs in HKG for a decent hotel is to book through a site such as www.asiatravel.com. Of course, sometimes individual hotel chains have promotions that are better.
Rich

Taipei Dec 17, 2001 1:26 pm

JW Marriott is US$120 with 30 day advance purchase!

skofarrell Dec 17, 2001 7:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

Okay, without going to a Days Inn level property, what would folks select if budget is an issue. $300 per night is not exactly chicken feed for most of us.
</font>
HK is like NY, there's expensive, more expensive, and "Oh My!".