Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance in Melaka, Malaysia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2004, 6:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Renaissance in Melaka, Malaysia

Anybody here stayed in this hotel? Opinions?

Why does my AAA "discount" come out to be more expensive than using no discount?

Does anyone have a good promotional code for staying in this hotel?

Thanks in advance,

Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I'll answer the question on opinions of this hotel by providing a few impressions of a trip a few years ago.

I did the peninsula trip to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and included Melaka because of it's interesting history. so stayed at all Marriott's in those cities. While nowhere close in luxury to the Marriott SIN or the JW KUL, I was quite happy with the Ren Melaka. It's close enough to walk to shops & restaurants and anywhere a little farther, taxi's are close by and quite inexpensive for short rides. The rooms were fairly basic, some offering a view over a river that winds it's way through the city.

In short, IMHO, don't expect it to be Ren quality you'd find in Europe. But I found it to be clean & comfortable for a few nights if you're passing through Melaka.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
...I was quite happy with the Ren Melaka. It's close enough to walk to shops & restaurants and anywhere a little farther, taxi's are close by and quite inexpensive for short rides. The rooms were fairly basic, some offering a view over a river that winds it's way through the city...
Thanks for the reply. I have been into "interior" Malaysia before and wasn't expecting Ren Melaka to be like SIN or KUL Marriott properties, but I do like your description, and perhaps the extra price is worth the points added to my rewards account.

I have also been thinking about booking at a heritage type hotel found at the this link. Did you have any experience with these? And I have also been thinking of one of the resort type hotels, but these are a distance from the town, so would require a taxi.

I am more interested in seeing the cultural and historical aspects of Melaka, so will probably stay in town. The Baba & Noyna houses intrigue me, especially since my grandmother was Chinese.

Cheers,

Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:28 am

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
Don't know when you're going but we're staying at the Hotel Puri (referenced in your link) in December and I will be happy to fill you in on the details.

Originally Posted by Zarcero
Thanks for the reply. I have been into "interior" Malaysia before and wasn't expecting Ren Melaka to be like SIN or KUL Marriott properties, but I do like your description, and perhaps the extra price is worth the points added to my rewards account.

I have also been thinking about booking at a heritage type hotel found at the this link. Did you have any experience with these? And I have also been thinking of one of the resort type hotels, but these are a distance from the town, so would require a taxi.

I am more interested in seeing the cultural and historical aspects of Melaka, so will probably stay in town. The Baba & Noyna houses intrigue me, especially since my grandmother was Chinese.

Cheers,

Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:05 pm

I'm ridden with guilt for having visited some interesting destinations but stayed at a very western hotel chain. You see, I'm guilty of getting Marriott TA rates and they are usually too good to pass up. I know I could be experiencing some local colour by staying at a local hotel, but for almost the same in most cases prefer getting pampered by my Marriott's, not to mention the points or elite perks. I can resist everything except temptation.

Good luck with your trip at any rate. ^
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
Don't know when you're going but we're staying at the Hotel Puri (referenced in your link) in December and I will be happy to fill you in on the details.
I'm planning the visit for mid-December

Cheers,

Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'm ridden with guilt for having visited some interesting destinations but stayed at a very western hotel chain. You see, I'm guilty of getting Marriott TA rates and they are usually too good to pass up. I know I could be experiencing some local colour by staying at a local hotel, but for almost the same in most cases prefer getting pampered by my Marriott's, not to mention the points or elite perks. I can resist everything except temptation.

Good luck with your trip at any rate. ^

Hahahaha! Don't be apologetic. I am a points whore also! And love being one!

I am also going to be visiting REP [Angkor Wat] and will be staying at the Raffles Grand Angkor instead of going in for the "local color". Raffles will feed points to my SQ KrisFlyer account. Hooray for points! And that's what FT is all about <hee-hee>

Cheers,

Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1MM AA PLT 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, and...Smiles Diamante
i got excited for a moment, and then looked at our travel plans -- we'll actually be arriving Jan 3...

just leave a note at the front desk for me with the inside scoop

Originally Posted by Zarcero
I'm planning the visit for mid-December

Cheers,

Z
Old Sep 21, 2004, 4:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snorkmaster
i got excited for a moment, and then looked at our travel plans -- we'll actually be arriving Jan 3...

just leave a note at the front desk for me with the inside scoop
Hee-hee. I must have creeped you out. I'm just your friendly neighborhood FT stalker

I am planning to due an FT trip report afterwards, and will post the info on the hotels that I stay at.

I have been to Malaysia a few times, KL, Penang, and Sarawak, etc. I do find it to be one of the most interesting places in the world. And it is also very safe for travelers, i.e, fairly low crime rate.

Cheers,

Z
Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:54 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Talking

There is a special variety of Tanqueray Gin called Malacca, named after the Strait of Malacca/Melaka. Ironically, it is pronounced just like the Greek word Malaka, meaning 'masturbate(-or).'

What's next, Wankington Ouzo?
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan
There is a special variety of Tanqueray Gin called Malacca, named after the Strait of Malacca/Melaka. Ironically, it is pronounced just like the Greek word Malaka, meaning 'masturbate(-or).'

Wow! That could really change the meaning of the term 'nackered'.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 24, 2004 at 3:05 pm
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brendan

Thanks for the cultural contribution.

Z
Old Mar 6, 2008, 7:12 am

Programs: TK, SQ, TG, NW, PCR, MR, SPG
Question

Has anyone stayed in this hotel recently?

Found on the Marriott website that there is a "Escape 'Callivanting on Pedals' Package" where there is a "mystery gift" upon check-in. For those who have stayed there recently under this package, may I know what mystery gift did you receive?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
I stayed for 3 nights last December (after christmas). Nice hotel. Not much near the location but hotel provides hourly shuttle bus to the new mall. Cabs cheap to central Melaka. If you're MR elite of course you can access the concierge lounge which was large, nice nightly hordoerves and complimentary liquor/wine/tiger beer. Breakfast good too. We were there during Christmas vacation and there was hordes of kids running around the lounge which was rather annoying. A free computer and free wireless in the lounge if you have your own laptop. Rooms nice but nothing special, standard Marriott.

Chinese restaurant in hotel was good but room service food was horrible (possibly just our bad luck of what/when we ordered but I wouldn't try it again). Take a US$3 cab to Chinatown and try the food there--good restaurants and local fun. A quick walk from the center of town.

Nice staff. Basically hotel was pretty typical for a Marriott. I would stay there again. Not familiary with Escape 'Callivanting on Pedals' package but regular prices were pretty reasonable.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 7:36 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold
Any Recent Experience at Renaissance Melaka (Malaysia) lately?

Any Recent Experience at Renaissance Melaka (Malaysia) lately? I am considering to stay here in December this year. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.