Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Should I keep my MR Visa or SPG Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Hi. I am trying to understand if I should keep my MR Visa or my SPG Amex in the future post the merge. I know that the elite nights will only earn 1x 15 nights regardless of the number of cards. I am already qualified for Liftetime Platinum Premier, so the nights aren't a huge issue for me and I don't envision pushing for Ambassador anyway each year. With a free night on each, is it worth the fee? Probably not. Will they both earn equally in the future for points? And other purchases (although I typically use my Chase Sapphire Reserve for everything else anyway)

Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I'm going to cancel my MR Visa Signature after the 15 EQ nights post in November and keep only the SPG Amex. It looks that they are making the SPG Amex benefits identical to those of the new Chase MR Visa Premier Plus. The only unique benefit of the classic MR Visa is 1 EQ night per $3000 spend, which many are speculating may end after August. Overall, I will use SPG Amex to make Marriott/SPG purchases and use Chase Sapphire for everything else.
LF72 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 4MM; Marriott Titanium; Hyatt Globalist
One does wonder what they'll rebrand the SPG AmEx card to, since SPG will be defunct as of August, right?

--woodstock
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I'm going to keep them both if they let me, they will each get a 35K point annual cert. If you travel internationally these are decent value.
LF72 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you definitely want to get rid of one, I would keep the Visa simply because it's accepted at far more places than Amex.
LF72 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist,
The SPG card also includes free Boingo. Sometimes that is useful.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by JoeWoodstock
One does wonder what they'll rebrand the SPG AmEx card to, since SPG will be defunct as of August, right?

--woodstock
Marriott announced that the new program is supposed to get a name in early 2019. Until then, the program will continue to use the names Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), Marriott Rewards, and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards -- even though earning, redemption, and benefits will be the same, regardless of brand, beginning in August.

Originally Posted by JCrew7384
Hi. I am trying to understand if I should keep my MR Visa or my SPG Amex in the future post the merge. I know that the elite nights will only earn 1x 15 nights regardless of the number of cards. I am already qualified for Liftetime Platinum Premier, so the nights aren't a huge issue for me and I don't envision pushing for Ambassador anyway each year. With a free night on each, is it worth the fee? Probably not. Will they both earn equally in the future for points? And other purchases (although I typically use my Chase Sapphire Reserve for everything else anyway)

Thanks
I also have both cards now. So I'm going through the same exercise now. I live in the United States.

There are more questions to consider than just whether to keep the current Marriott Visa, SPG AmEx, both, or neither.

First, there's the question of whether to upgrade the Marriott Rewards Premier Credit Card to a Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card -- and, if so, what the timing should be. The new card has an annual fee that's only $10 higher, but provides a much better annual free night (up to 35,000 points instead of up to 25,000 points). There are upgrade offers available if you call Chase.

Then, there's the question of whether to upgrade the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express to the Starwood Preferred Guest American Express Luxury Card, which won't be available until August. The Luxury Card is much more expensive ($450/year vs $95/year). At first glance, that would seem to rule it out. But the benefits are so good -- starting with a $300 annual Marriott/SPG credit and a free night up 50,000 points -- that it should be easy to recover far more each year than what the card costs.

There are more details about all card options at Marriott Rewards Credit Cards

I haven't done anything yet, except to call Chase. For my Visa account, there would be a 20,000 point bonus to upgrade. I haven't accepted the offer because I thought it might might be better to wait until after my current card renewal -- although the Chase rep said I would get normal renewal benefits (free night up to 25,000 points plus 15 elite qualifying nights in October) in either case.

It's too early to do anything with the SPG American Express card. I'm inclined to go for the Luxury Card, although I never would have imagined getting a credit card with a $450 annual fee.

Last edited by Horace; Jul 12, 2018 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I want to see what's happening with the Chase card's 1 night's stay credit per $3k spend benefit before deciding which card to keep. At this point leaning towards dumping Chase, but that's because I suspect this benefit is going away.

Originally Posted by Horace
The Luxury Card is much more expensive ($450/year vs $95/year). At first glance, that would seem to rule it out. But the benefits are so good -- starting with a $300 annual Marriott/SPG credit and a free night up 50,000 points -- that it should be easy to recover far more each year than what the card costs.
IMO this is one of the weaker "premium" cards out there. If you already have AMEX Plat or CSR, and will make Platinum Premier organically, the only real benefits are the $300 annual credit and the "extra" 15k allowance towards a free night. For me that's close to a net draw vs. the "regular" SPG and Marriott cards. Hilton Aspire is a much more appealing card.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm going to keep all of my Marriott and SPG credit cards as long as the free nights continue to outweigh the annual fees.

I have enough random 1-night airport hotel stays each year where a (current) Cat 5 award night is worth an easy $200, sometimes more. These aren't aspirational stays, but they can be expensive and often situations where I do *not* want to gamble on a Priceline room.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:45 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
For what it's worth, I like that the Chase Marriott cards also include lost luggage and trip delay insurance (though I think it requires a 12 hour delay to kick in).
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I want to see what's happening with the Chase card's 1 night's stay credit per $3k spend benefit before deciding which card to keep. At this point leaning towards dumping Chase, but that's because I suspect this benefit is going away.
^^^

I believe the SPG Lurker and other sources have reiterated that the 1 elite night/$3k spend benefit is ending in August when the new Loyalty Program begins.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you definitely want to get rid of one, I would keep the Visa simply because it's accepted at far more places than Amex.
That's true, but largely unimportant unless this is your only credit card.

I'd argue that at 2/dollar, neither card is very good for un-bonused spend; if nothing else, you're better off spending on a cash back card like the Citi Double Cash. I think these are cards you keep for the ongoing benefits - the free night on each, and the 15 night credit on one. I have both and plan to keep both - in my sock drawer.

For me, I think the free nights alone are worth paying both the fees. And having both makes them better than the sum of the parts, since a single 2-night stay now becomes an option. If my travels were not such that I could use both free nights, and I did need the 15 nights, I'd keep the Amex instead of the Visa, for the occasionally valuable "Amex Offer", and for the sometimes-useful Amex concert pre-sale access.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
Originally Posted by bhrubin
^^^

I believe the SPG Lurker and other sources have reiterated that the 1 elite night/$3k spend benefit is ending in August when the new Loyalty Program begins.
is that official, does anyone have a link or can quote such post from the Lurker?

BTW the last I recall hearing, officially, was the new Marriott Chase card did not have the 1 elite night/ $3k but the legacy card still did... I know Chase has a reputation for honoring legacy cards so I would be a little surprised to see such a change on a legacy product???

Thanks
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I have the current Chase Premier card and was holding off on the upgrade until my 15 nights posted, which they recently did. I don't need the 1 night/$3k and would maybe like the 35K certificate, but wondering if I would get that since my 25K cert posted. Maybe not worth upgrading right now?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Keep neither. Put all your spend on Sapphire, transfer in points as you need.
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.