Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Post Announcement Credit Cards Comparison for US residents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Post Announcement Credit Cards Comparison for US residents

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
One note: Looks like 2019 will have a rule change regarding the 15 elite night credits. No more stacking bonuses. From the T&C on the credit card page:

A maximum of 15 Elite Night credits will be awarded per Marriott Loyalty Program member even if the Marriott Loyalty Program member has more than one Marriott Rewards, Starwood Preferred Guest, or Ritz-Carlton Rewards credit card account or is a member of more than one Marriott Loyalty Program

Mike
Old Apr 18, 2018, 11:59 pm

Great thread OP, thanks for starting it! Sorry I have a lot of questions that hopefully people can help answer.....

For maybe the last 10 years I've been using the SPG AMEX exclusively as my business expense card. Chose that route because of the excellent starwood points and redemptions.

Had no idea until reading through some of these rewards merger threads that all along Marriott had a card where I could get credit for CC spending equivalent to night stays!!!

So I'm also looking for new strategy for CC spending....so as far as we now the $85 card will have the night equivalent credit but the new $95 one may not? And still won't get those kinds of credits on the current or the new SPG card?

And when accruing these night credits, there is not limit right? So for example when I'm looking at the Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite and the website says 750 and 2 million points, if I stay or spend and get to a certain level of nights, there is also a point earned requirement?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:38 am

Programs: United/Marriott/Chase
Personally I like the existing Chase Marriott Premier card the best, even compared to the new cards. It includes 15 elite night credits just for having the card, but also includes an additional elite night credit for each $3,000 spent. I plan to use that to achieve 15 or 20 extra nights per year so I can hit Platinum (50 nights) easier and those night credits will help me longterm for lifetime status. I think the lower spending/earning ratios on this card compared to the new cards is worth it for the benefit of getting elite night credits for each $3,000 spent.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by BurbankTesla
Personally I like the existing Chase Marriott Premier card the best, even compared to the new cards. It includes 15 elite night credits just for having the card, but also includes an additional elite night credit for each $3,000 spent. I plan to use that to achieve 15 or 20 extra nights per year so I can hit Platinum (50 nights) easier and those night credits will help me longterm for lifetime status. I think the lower spending/earning ratios on this card compared to the new cards is worth it for the benefit of getting elite night credits for each $3,000 spent.
That is how I view it too. Unless they add the benefit of the 1 night credit per $3k spend to the new $95 Card, I will keep the old Chase one.
envgeo likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Delete

...I swear, this scrolling feature is causing me to skip posts...

Last edited by Aero137; Apr 19, 2018 at 8:23 am Reason: Delete, duplicative
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Very interested to determine what the changes are to the Ritz card that are supposedly coming in August - there will be a lot of people deciding between that and the $450 luxury SPG card.

One thought (not sure if this is good or bad, depends on how many features they add) is that they go to a $550 fee like the AmEx Platinum but really up the benefit set.

Will likely be hard to justify carrying both this Ritz card and the new AmEx luxury card.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Are these new Chase cards considered new products whereby the bonus is not affected by other Chase Marriott bonuses? Is the T&C wording similar in terms of if you've received a bonus from this card in the last 24 months yadda yadda yadda?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:09 am

ALso - The new Visa card gives 2x points on all non-marriott purchases the old marriott visa card gives 1x for non-marriott non-travel.

Last edited by BobNoxious; Apr 19, 2018 at 10:10 am Reason: correciton
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:22 am

People with the old visa card will get an upgrade offer of points: Their FAQ on their website countdown for the new card mentions that instead of the 100,000 points offered to new members and an upgrade offer of ?? points to upgrade. Note: if you have had the old card for more than 24 months since your welcome award of points, you COULD cancel and reapply (credit rating hit). creditcards D0T chase D0T c0m slash marriott slash getmore
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: United/Marriott/Chase
Originally Posted by BobNoxious
ALso - The new Visa card gives 2x points on all non-marriott purchases the old marriott visa card gives 1x for non-marriott non-travel.
Yes this is a good point. My understanding is that all Marriott and SPG cards with an annual fee will give 15 Marriott night elite credits just for owning the card, but a maximum of 15 nights total if you have multiple cards. My understanding of the card differences:
New Chase Marriott Premier Plus card and SPG AmEx cards:
- 6 pts per 1$ spent on Marriott
- 2 pts per 1$ spent on everything else
- No 1-night elite credit for each $3K spent on the card.

Current Chase Marriott Premier:
- 5 pts per 1$ spent on Marriott
- 2 pts per 1$ spent on restaurants, airfare, car rental
- 1 pt per 1$ spent on everything else
- DOES grant 1-night elite credit for each $3K spent on the card with NO LIMIT.

I value earning the $3K elite credit nights toward earning Platinum more than earning extra Marriott points to spend, so I'm going to stick with the current Premier card.
seat38a likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:04 am

I like the elite nights too. I'm currently LT gold to become LT platinum, and not possible to go further after that with nights, right?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:42 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I always found it riduculous that they'll pay for Global Entry, but won't pay for Nexus, which includes Global Entry but costs half as much.
With all the complaints on the forum about how Canadian's and other Non American customers are getting screwed by the CC companies, are you really surprised?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by BurbankTesla
Yes this is a good point. My understanding is that all Marriott and SPG cards with an annual fee will give 15 Marriott night elite credits just for owning the card, but a maximum of 15 nights total if you have multiple cards. My understanding of the card differences:
New Chase Marriott Premier Plus card and SPG AmEx cards:
- 6 pts per 1$ spent on Marriott
- 2 pts per 1$ spent on everything else
- No 1-night elite credit for each $3K spent on the card.

Current Chase Marriott Premier:
- 5 pts per 1$ spent on Marriott
- 2 pts per 1$ spent on restaurants, airfare, car rental
- 1 pt per 1$ spent on everything else
- DOES grant 1-night elite credit for each $3K spent on the card with NO LIMIT.

I value earning the $3K elite credit nights toward earning Platinum more than earning extra Marriott points to spend, so I'm going to stick with the current Premier card.
I signed up and got approved for the current card before new subscribers are cut off. Another thing to point out is that the 15 nights for the new card will be credited to your account in 2019 which will be NO HELP to anyone trying to qualify for their 2019 status. The current $85 AF card credits the 15 nights NOW and annually on your anniversary.
sdsearch likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by BobNoxious
People with the old visa card will get an upgrade offer of points: Their FAQ on their website countdown for the new card mentions that instead of the 100,000 points offered to new members and an upgrade offer of ?? points to upgrade. Note: if you have had the old card for more than 24 months since your welcome award of points, you COULD cancel and reapply (credit rating hit). creditcards D0T chase D0T c0m slash marriott slash getmore
Nice catch. Interesting that they have an upgrade bonus, which not something I've really seen from Chase. I wonder if they plan on retiring that product in the future.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.