Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Reward Night Points Increase or Decrease With Merger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reward Night Points Increase or Decrease With Merger

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Except for newly opened properties, catagories are not based upon the number of people staying at a particular property but the number of award redemptions at that particular property

Originally Posted by Marriott15
So I always have been told and read on here category numbers are based on a few things but mainly the amount of people staying there a year!

joshua362 and sdsearch like this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
I should of been more clear! I think the higher end brand's will stay the same but the lower level brands like, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Aloft, TownPlace, Four Points, and Sheraton could see decreases in their category levels!
this, but that’s pretty much how it already is. The properties people actually want to redeem points at will continue to go up, and the properties no one wants to go to will stay the same or decrease. Now MR will be able to add to the number of Category 1 and 2 properties that it likes to brag about.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoPhils

this, but that’s pretty much how it already is. The properties people actually want to redeem points at will continue to go up, and the properties no one wants to go to will stay the same or decrease. Now MR will be able to add to the number of Category 1 and 2 properties that it likes to brag about.
This will be another interesting thing to watch...Starwood has always done categories as a function of ADR, which is a different metric than people wanting to redeem awards.

Aloft vs. other properties is very much YMMV...room rates not cheap. Compared to the "old" Marriott style, I'd take an Aloft every time.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:13 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
please do .....

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Aloft vs. other properties is very much YMMV...room rates not cheap. Compared to the "old" Marriott style, I'd take an Aloft every time.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Srisarin
please do .....
Still waiting for a helpful comment that adds value...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:43 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm not following the logic here. When one company owns more of the market, they have less competition. In this case, SPG has effectively been eliminated so that's less incentive for Marriott to decrease prices. I think there's virtually no chance there will be any kind of brand or category decrease.

As for my opinion, they will likely stay the same, with a few adjustments where a hotel was over or under priced. Then you'll see the normal annual changes, which tend to be mostly increases (at least for the properties I seem to care about ).
This. I see the writing for category 10 @ 50,000 points per night on the wall.

I don't see the earning rate changing or either Marriott/SPG points being devalued from where they are now during the merger (as in the rate at which they convert to whatever - my expectation is Starwood points will be converted to Marriott points). I do see more properties increasing in category.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I guess my Logic was with more focused on the SPG properties! So I always have been told and read on here category numbers are based on a few things but mainly the amount of people staying there a year! Besides the loyalists, I feel like a SPG customer will be more inclined to go stay at the regular Marriott then the Sheraton. Which will result in the Sheraton dropping down category level's. Why would someone stay in a Four Points when they can stay in a Courtyard for the same price? In my city the regular Marriott and the Aloft are the same price. The Marriott is hand's down the better property!

I should of been more clear! I think the higher end brand's will stay the same but the lower level brands like, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn, Aloft, TownPlace, Four Points, and Sheraton could see decreases in their category levels!
That's an interesting perspective. I've read a lot of posts from SPG loyalists who can't BELIEVE anyone would stay at a horrible Marriott .

The point I think you are ultimately making is that perhaps some of the properties need to be re-ranked in the new portfolio. Perhaps a Sheraton, that was in the top half of SPG's brands, is now in the bottom half of the new portfolio, and should (generally) require fewer points than, say, a Marriott. I say generally, because each individual hotel gets the point value assigned, not by brand. I'm not sure if that's how SPG worked or not.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord
That's an interesting perspective. I've read a lot of posts from SPG loyalists who can't BELIEVE anyone would stay at a horrible Marriott .

The point I think you are ultimately making is that perhaps some of the properties need to be re-ranked in the new portfolio. Perhaps a Sheraton, that was in the top half of SPG's brands, is now in the bottom half of the new portfolio, and should (generally) require fewer points than, say, a Marriott. I say generally, because each individual hotel gets the point value assigned, not by brand. I'm not sure if that's how SPG worked or not.
See the above post before the interruption

Sheraton (and FP) are the off brands in the Starwood portfolio...lot of great int'l Sheratons, some good ones in the US, and a bunch of ones way past their prime. Same goes for the FPs. Don't think many SPG loyals would shed a tear if there is some re-flagging or de-flagging.

Again, it depends how Marriott calculates categories going forward. If there is a Marriott and a Sheraton in close proximity, and for whatever reason points redemptions are ~1/4 or 1/3 less at the Sheraton, then it would make sense if it's a lower category, IF they stay with the Marriott calculation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.