Wiki Posts
Search

Less Reward Availability?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Srisarin
Thanks for the info CJ.
However, are the terms "both programs" and/or "either program" MRs and SPG or MRs and Ritz C ??
Don't overthink it. The statement covers the present (both programs) and future (combined program). A lawyer can find all sorts of exceptions and hidden meanings, but this is a marketing statement. Marriott would have a PR nightmare if they did something sneaky. They are a business that wants to attract customers, so they wouldn't want that. They have remained silent on so many features of the new program. The fact they've issued these assurances must mean they intend to honor this statement or they would have just kept quiet on this topic, too.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:38 am
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Since I don't have any interest in the outcome, having earned Marriott LTP the striaght and narrow way of paying for 750-nights out of my pocket along with the appropriate money to obtain over 2 million points and know I’m vested, I could care less if Marriott gives the SPG whiners status or leaves them in the street.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Don't overthink it. The statement covers the present (both programs) and future (combined program). A lawyer can find all sorts of exceptions and hidden meanings, but this is a marketing statement. Marriott would have a PR nightmare if they did something sneaky. They are a business that wants to attract customers, so they wouldn't want that. They have remained silent on so many features of the new program. The fact they've issued these assurances must mean they intend to honor this statement or they would have just kept quiet on this topic, too.

Last edited by Srisarin; Jan 8, 2018 at 8:20 am
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Oh Jesus - we already did this song and dance on one post; do we really need to do it again?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I believe we are way off topic.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Can't speak to Colorado, but Hawaii in March has lots of availability. I'm already holding a 1 week award reservation and my in-laws are booking one this week.

Doing a search on the whole state for March 10-17, you still have your choice of all 4 of the islands where Marriotts exist. Sure, a few hotels don't have availability (mainly MVCI's, a well-known issue), but many do.

I personally think Marriott's categories for Hawaii are all a little high for the quality you get, but what the hell...it's a Travel Package so I'm not complaining too much. (And fortunately, I *did* get an MVCI... )
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Acknowledged by whom except a limited number of SPG whiners, cause in my 7 years of redeeming Marriott points I’ve never had a problem

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
It's pretty well acknowledged that MR award inventory just isn't as good as SPG.......

Last edited by Srisarin; Jan 8, 2018 at 11:18 pm
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA EP; HH Diamond; Marriott Plat; IHG Plat; National EE
There's definitely issues with redemption availability at some properties, usually through similar tactics seen at Hilton, i.e. there are a very limited number of "standard" rooms available for standard redemption rates. One example is the Banff Delta property which appears to have some small number of 1 Queen bed standard rooms that are available for redemption, while anything else, including a standard King is not available for redemption, not even for a higher redemption level. Hard to find any redemption during Summer or Winter at that property.

Similarly, some Hilton properties make most rooms some form of upgrade over standard, e.g. it's the same room but is on a high floor and is called Deluxe, so the room becomes a premium redemption and costs twice as much as a standard redemption (even though the cash price difference might be 20 bucks).
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:43 am

Song and Dance

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Oh Jesus - we already did this song and dance on one post; do we really need to do it again?

Yep will do the song and dance all over Marriott Flyer Talk forum! Mostly negative vibes!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Acknowledged by whom except a limited number of SPG whiners, cause in my 7 years of redeeming Marriott points I’ve never had a problem

keep the personal attacks coming. It’s great and amusing.

Fsctually there is a difference in availability, head in the sand or not. As I originally posted, before you derailed the conversation, this is a difference between the programs not hashed out yet.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:06 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The difference is SPG has "Last Standard Room Availability" where Marriott has "No Blackouts". Marriott has never forced hotels to offer ALL their available standard rooms for awards. Instead they do force hotels to offer some "%" of standard rooms for awards every night (i.e. no blackout dates). Though they do give each hotel the ability to pick some number of "nights" and reduce that "%" of available award rooms to a smaller number. Less than the normal % required but more than 0. Marriott (nor any Marriott insider) has ever disclosed what those %'s are.

Years ago Marriott did have an option that came close to the SPG "Last Standard Room Availability". Back then the % of standard rooms available for standard awards was actually smaller than it is today (i.e. they could offer fewer standard rooms for awards each night than they have to today.) But to balance that Marriott used to offer "Stay Anytime" awards which could be used for any available standard room (i.e. last standard room availability), but those awards cost a lot more points per night than a regular standard award. Do a search for "Stay Anytime". There were a few discussions that included both Marriott Concierge and a high level Marriott insider, Socrates which provided us a bit of an inside look into the program. AFAIK, Marriott has not changed the program around standard award availability since then (at least not in any major way, though it may be very possible they have tweaked the %s, up or down, over the years.)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:21 am
Suspended

not disputing your post but must piont out that all SPG props needed to due, and several have, was to redefine standard rooms as other (and I've seen posts on this) to delimit award availability

what I am disputing is that EVERYONE knows that SPG award availability is best in the industry especially when compared to Marriott

Originally Posted by hhoope01
The difference is SPG has "Last Standard Room Availability" where Marriott has "No Blackouts". Marriott has never forced hotels to offer ALL their available standard rooms for awards. Instead they do force hotels to offer some "%" of standard rooms for awards every night (i.e. no blackout dates). Though they do give each hotel the ability to pick some number of "nights" and reduce that "%" of available award rooms to a smaller number. Less than the normal % required but more than 0. Marriott (nor any Marriott insider) has ever disclosed what those %'s are.

Years ago Marriott did have an option that came close to the SPG "Last Standard Room Availability". Back then the % of standard rooms available for standard awards was actually smaller than it is today (i.e. they could offer fewer standard rooms for awards each night than they have to today.) But to balance that Marriott used to offer "Stay Anytime" awards which could be used for any available standard room (i.e. last standard room availability), but those awards cost a lot more points per night than a regular standard award. Do a search for "Stay Anytime". There were a few discussions that included both Marriott Concierge and a high level Marriott insider, Socrates which provided us a bit of an inside look into the program. AFAIK, Marriott has not changed the program around standard award availability since then (at least not in any major way, though it may be very possible they have tweaked the %s, up or down, over the years.)
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
not disputing your post but must piont out that all SPG props needed to due, and several have, was to redefine standard rooms as other (and I've seen posts on this) to delimit award availability

what I am disputing is that EVERYONE knows that SPG award availability is best in the industry especially when compared to Marriott
LOL no need to have a couple outliers define a 1,500 property chain. And I'm sure some Marriott properties do the exact same thing. So that's a wash.

But as hhoope01 points out, there IS a difference between the intent and action of each program. Last standard room availability > no blackouts when it comes to rooms available for award bookings. No need to invent alternative facts.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I generally agree that SPG award availability has historically been the best in the industry. Of the four programs I've been active in for the past 15-20 years, it goes SPG > MR > HH > IHG. Marriott and Hilton both have some specific pros and cons that can make one better than the other in certain instances (e.g., Diamond standard availability is a pro for HH), but on the whole if I want a full week with my bed type guaranteed in a standard award, I give the nod to Marriott.

But award availability is still relatively good at Marriott, and better than it was when it was a two-tier award system. Remember that? You'd find 6 of your 7 desired nights available, but not one in the middle of the stay. That was frustrating, and doesn't happen much anymore.

And I still dispute the original premise in this thread that there aren't award rooms in Hawaii for "spring break". I'm holding one such reservation and there are many more award rooms available on all four islands even right now. (Is Hawaii even a traditional spring break scene? It was *way* priced out of my college days...we were more the "roadtrip to Padre" type...) I would think if you really wanted to stress-test your favorite award program for Hawaii rooms, try to use points there for Christmas/New Year's. In my past, it's those kinds of cases where Starwood did indeed separate from the pack.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 10:04 am

The only thing I can recommend is set an alert on hotel hustle. If something opens up, you'll get an email.

No direct link as third party site. Owner posts on flyertalk in the tools forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.