FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Advice on 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1856041-advice-7-night-travel-package-category-1-5-hotel.html)

nestep1971 Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am

Advice on 7 Night Travel Package Category 1-5 Hotel

Hey all, I need some suggestions on best places to use this. I have enough points to upgrade it to a Cat 9. I go to Maui 1-2 times a year but the issue is I have 3 younger kids and would like to have a kitchen/washer/dryer. Not seeing many Marriott's there with this. Any good places or suggestions for Hawaii and or Caribbean? Thanks in Advance.

t1c Jul 24, 2017 7:28 am

Originally Posted by nestep1971 (Post 28600178)
Hey all, I need some suggestions on best places to use this. I have enough points to upgrade it to a Cat 9. I go to Maui 1-2 times a year but the issue is I have 3 younger kids and would like to have a kitchen/washer/dryer. Not seeing many Marriott's there with this. Any good places or suggestions for Hawaii and or Caribbean? Thanks in Advance.

Do a search for Marriott Vacation Clubs... just about all of the ones I have stayed at have a washer and dryer.

nestep1971 Jul 24, 2017 7:35 am

Originally Posted by t1c (Post 28600218)
Do a search for Marriott Vacation Clubs... just about all of the ones I have stayed at have a washer and dryer.

Thanks. Yeah I looked at those. Seems they never have availability for the travel packages.

Mr. Vker Jul 24, 2017 7:39 am

Keep in mind, that a MVCI unit that has laundry is going to be a 1BR or larger. That will require the Cat 9 cert plus additional points for the larger unit. (The base cert only gets you a studio at a MVCI-which can be compared to a hotel room.) Even if the property only has larger units, the extra points apply.

hhoope01 Jul 24, 2017 1:14 pm

If you have the points for it (Cat 9 plus upgrade certs as Mr. Vker mentioned), the Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel might be an option. It is a Marriott hotel, but I think it was originally built to be an MVCI property but for whatever reason didn't quite make it. So it will usually have lots of award availability even for 1 or 2 bedroom suites.

Mr. Vker Jul 24, 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 28601821)
If you have the points for it (Cat 9 plus upgrade certs as Mr. Vker mentioned), the Key West Marriott Beachside Hotel might be an option. It is a Marriott hotel, but I think it was originally built to be an MVCI property but for whatever reason didn't quite make it. So it will usually have lots of award availability even for 1 or 2 bedroom suites.

So does Scrub Island...bucket list location for me.

joshua362 Jul 24, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 28601821)

Holy smokes, I stayed there in 2013 and think it was Cat5 and I got a 1BR complementary. To call it "beachside" is a huuuuuuuugggeee stretch, at best they poured some sand on a tiny spit of land overlooking a narrow canal/channel that you would never consider setting foot in.

Otherwise its decent and a 20 minute traffic ride to the action and had a complimentary shuttle although it did not run past 10pm.

janaleigh Jul 25, 2017 7:55 am

What is the best time of year for scrub island?

Mr. Vker Jul 26, 2017 7:52 am

Originally Posted by janaleigh (Post 28604958)
What is the best time of year for scrub island?

I think they are far enough south to always have warm weather. They are in hurricane belt though. I would think Jan-April is best. We've researched getting there. Commercial flight to SJU then buy a regional flight to EIS seemed to be best-unless you have a good way all the way to EIS.