Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Dear Marriott: please don't solicit me for your VC in the lobby

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dear Marriott: please don't solicit me for your VC in the lobby

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:35 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I'm now intrigued to find out what "the Marriott VC demographic" actually is, and why/how the OP is recognisably not part of this particular grouping ....
Old Jul 22, 2017, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I'm now intrigued to find out what "the Marriott VC demographic" actually is, and why/how the OP is recognisably not part of this particular grouping ....
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I always thought the VC demographic was anyone who could afford to buy in ....
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
From the title, I thought Marriott was soliciting venture capital.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:34 am

I think the usual audience tends to be people a bit out of shape and older than 50! Most of us then. It is true about the tacky promotion - 'guests' do not want to have their conversations disturbed by this non-event. It is understandable than junior staff may not have the experience to understand the situation, so perhaps just ignoring him is a good option (as others state). The only issue is when the said person does not take the hint and chases you down the corridor like the spanish waiter on fawlty towers.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
I too would be put off by the advertising, but what gave you the idea that a Ren was supposed to be more refined than a standard FS Marriott? I've never really thought there was a perceivable difference between the two.
And that is a big problem with Marriott: they have so many brands and based on this thread, it appears even their most loyal customers can't even distinguish the differences. As an SPG person, we generally knew the differences in brand proposition from your average Sheraton to a Westin to a W to a St. Regis and down to a Four Points.

Its my understanding that Renaissance was supposed to be a bit more upscale and contemporary compared to a regular boring Marriott. I'd say the closest SPG equivalent would be Le Meridien.

According to Skift:

Marriott Take: “… A global, full-service brand in the upper-upscale tier that targets lifestyle-oriented business travelers. Each Renaissance hotel offers its own personality, local flavor, and distinctive style. Innovations include the Navigator program, which helps guests discover the soul of the neighborhood, and Evenings at Renaissance, which helps guests experience the unexpected with live music, mixology demonstrations, art exhibits, and more in the comfort of the hotel lobby bars and lounges.”

My take: I'd love to know how many Renaissance properties are compliant with the above.

Backt to topic: Sharon: good to hear solicitations of timeshares is not the norm at most Marriotts.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:36 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
I wonder if blue rinse (or lack thereof) translates across the pond...
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Why turn your back or get offended? Say, "no thanks" and move on with your life. Not worth posting on FT that's for sure.
I think you missed "even mixed towels of inferior quality" in the original post.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Not worth posting on FT that's for sure.
I dunno, we have threads on FT when UA rolls out new napkins, so I fail to see the problem with airing a complaint such as this. It does seem rather tacky of Marriott to allow.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Are Renaissance properties considered to be upscale now? :
In terms of market segmentation, I personally consider the Ren and FS properties to be on the same tier.

However, quality between the two brands can often vary in individual cities. One example is PIT, where the Ren beats the FS property in Chapman Center (?) hands down. However, the FS hotel is perfectly acceptable, but almost everything about the Ren is superior, including room size and furnishings, location and the CL.

Just my opinion.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
In terms of market segmentation, I personally consider the Ren and FS properties to be on the same tier.

However, quality between the two brands can often vary in individual cities. One example is PIT, where the Ren beats the FS property in Chapman Center (?) hands down. However, the FS hotel is perfectly acceptable, but almost everything about the Ren is superior, including room size and furnishings, location and the CL.

Just my opinion.
PIT probably has the most extreme difference between a FS and nearby Ren. When I was a kid in the late seventies, we would stay at the Chatham Center Hotel, later Sheraton. Not much has changed between then and now except it says Marriott all over.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Uh, can we get back to the topic of whether VC folk are normally running around the lobbies? (consensus is no)

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Uh, can we get back to the topic of whether VC folk are normally running around the lobbies? (consensus is no)

Cheers.
At check-out today the manager apologized that the fellow who solicited me did so interrpupting a conversation with my co-worker, but said that yes indeed this is a feature of properties with an nearby Marriott Vacation Klub now.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:43 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
...but said that yes indeed this is a feature of properties with an nearby Marriott Vacation Klub now.
Marriotts close to MVCI properties have had salespersons at their locations for decades. That is nothing new. I have had phone calls to my room at some locations just after check-in letting me know about the MVCI tour "offer", but I have never seen or had a salesperson walk around breaking into other's conversations trying to make a sale like that. Unless we start seeing posts from others in more locations, I would think this is a one-off situation due to a new/over-zealous salesperson.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I also see the vacationclub desk in hotel locations that have a vacationclub near or next to the hotel... however I've never been actively approached by the salesperson. Normally I see them at their desk with info and offer to hand it out or talk to those walking by.

As for the Marriott vs Ren... I generally consider them at about the same level, however the Ren are more unique with their style and offerings tuned to the locale of the hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.