Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice kindly sought re Marriott status at R-Cs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice kindly sought re Marriott status at R-Cs

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2016, 12:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by joshua362
Nor was it offered in several email exchanges.
Staff administers policy; managers adjust policy.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Again, GUWonder / Joshua362 / dayone / bhrubin / sig05 / sammyindc -- I genuinely appreciate all the great tips left above, most of which I had been perfectly oblivious to.

May I ask one final question?

If I did decide to plump for a Marriott 'Travel Package' -- one where I'd receive a 7-night R-C certificate -- would any such certificate restrict me to staying in one hotel only? I ask as I had thought about the R-C in both Kyoto AND Tokyo (say 4 nights in one, 3 nights in another), but I wasn't entirely sure whether this was prohibited by the T&Cs and whether, in fact, stays had to be undertaken in the one hotel?

Again, sorry if this sounds like an intensely stupid question.

Many thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Scoob72

If I did decide to plump for a Marriott 'Travel Package' -- one where I'd receive a 7-night R-C certificate -- would any such certificate restrict me to staying in one hotel only? I ask as I had thought about the R-C in both Kyoto AND Tokyo (say 4 nights in one, 3 nights in another), but I wasn't entirely sure whether this was prohibited by the T&Cs and whether, in fact, stays had to be undertaken in the one hotel?

Many thanks.
Yes the 7 nights is at the same hotel.

Cheers.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
The 7-night Hotel + Air Package provides:
  • One 7-night e-certificate, to be attached to a 7-night reservation at one hotel
  • Deposit of the specified number of points to a single airline

The hotel portion cannot be broken up for use at more than one hotel.

The air portion does not need to be used for the same trip as the hotel portion. It simply becomes part of your mileage/point balance with the airline program you specify.

There are all sorts of permutations of category/tier, airline, the number of airline points. So it's necessary to have a pretty good idea of what you want before proceeding.

http://www.marriott.com/rewards/usepoints/morepack.mi
Old Dec 30, 2016, 5:15 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Why not just book an AMEX FHR rate?

It gets you breakfast and guaranteed 4 pm checkout, and usually an upgrade too.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP/Current Titanium
Originally Posted by DCF
Wildly thoughtful, but OP has a specific question about a MR Travel Package.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
Sound advice. In this specific case, these options weren't available at booking nor via the common "we are getting excited preparing for your stay, here are some extra options" email I received. Nor was it offered in several email exchanges.

I will definitely pursue if I try to stay at a RC again.
I make the reservation, then call the hotel directly to see if this option is available.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DCF

It gets you breakfast and guaranteed 4 pm checkout, and usually an upgrade too.
Because FHR is paid & the OP is trying to use a travel package (free/points)?

Horace covered it for the OP and others who aren't familiar w/ the details.

Cheers.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by sig05
I routinely book on points and cash upgrade to the club - maybe another solution for your future travels. I've been treated very nicely at every Ritz, and even more so at the Ritz properties I stay at several times per year.
Wife and I are doing exactly this (points/cash upgrade for club) on current Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto trip. RC Tokyo did honor the free platinum breakfast benefit. Upgrading to club level at RC Osaka was relatively financially painless. Won't have the club option in Kyoto as they don't have one, unless a club has been added to the Kyoto RC since last year.

Our treatment from staff at the first two properties has been outstanding. I don't foresee a fall off in Kyoto.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Sharon / Horace / sig05 / GueroDeTejas / DCF / txpenny - thanks a million for posting the above. I genuinely do appreciate it. In very short order, I've picked up an awful lot of great information, for which I am extremely grateful. I will certainly put this into practice. (Essentially, I am trying to build an itinerary for my partner and her mother regarding a trip to Japan at the end of the year, and some of the Marriott Travel packages had looked quite enticing post-merger.)

If you don't mind me asking what will doubtless appear yet another shamelessly stupid question, when txpenny and sig05 mention above that they tend to book with points and then "cash upgrade to club" -- could I finally just ask how you actually go about paying to upgrade to a club room? Is there an online facility to do this once you have booked your Travel package, for instance (in those cases where you may decide to opt for this upgrade some time after making the initial booking) OR would you actually need to make the cash upgrade to club at the same time as redeeming your travel package?

Again, thank you all for your incredible levels of patience! Sorry to be a complete nuisance!
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:22 pm

I ask for the upgrade upon arrival at the hotel.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:13 pm

Sharon / Horace / sig05 / GueroDeTejas / DCF / txpenny - thanks a million for posting the above. I genuinely do appreciate it. In very short order, I've picked up an awful lot of great information, for which I am extremely grateful. I will certainly put this into practice. (Essentially, I am trying to build an itinerary for my partner and her mother regarding a trip to Japan at the end of the year, and some of the Marriott Travel packages had looked quite enticing post-merger.)

If you don't mind me asking what will doubtless appear yet another shamelessly stupid question, when txpenny and sig05 mention above that they tend to book with points and then "cash upgrade to club" -- could I finally just ask how you actually go about paying to upgrade to a club room? Is there an online facility to do this once you have booked your Travel package, for instance (in those cases where you may decide to opt for this upgrade some time after making the initial booking) OR would you actually need to make the cash upgrade to club at the same time as redeeming your travel package?

Again, thank you all for your incredible levels of patience! Sorry to be a complete nuisance!
I book on points on MR, then call the hotel directly with my reservation number. For example, RC Amelia and RC Orlando charge $200/night for a Club Level upgrade on a points stay. I've seen as low as $150 for RC New Orleans.

Edit = The cash upgrade has never been charged in advance; it is added to my folio upon checkin.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 4:39 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

sorry if this sounds like an intensely stupid question.
If you don't mind me asking what will doubtless appear yet another shamelessly stupid question,

[...]

Sorry to be a complete nuisance!
Your questions are fine. Your repeated self-denigration? Not so much.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by sig05
I book on points on MR, then call the hotel directly with my reservation number. For example, RC Amelia and RC Orlando charge $200/night for a Club Level upgrade on a points stay. I've seen as low as $150 for RC New Orleans.

Edit = The cash upgrade has never been charged in advance; it is added to my folio upon checkin.
btw, Y 10K/night at Osaka R-C. Great bargain as club is open from 7A to 10P. Alcohol and snacks are available all day. The breakfast alone is worth the price of admission.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:37 am
Original Poster

sig05 / dayone / txpenny -- thank you for clarifying about how to upgrade to club having first booked a redemption. From general consensus, it would appear that the club facilities/access at many-a RC represent good value, so, from where I stand at least, this is excellent food for thought. I very much appreciate it. All the best for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.