FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Summer 2016 promotion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1766443-summer-2016-promotion.html)

VisaW May 17, 2016 9:03 am

Summer 2016 promotion

Just sat in on a phone call a friend made to MR to handle a points dispute. At the end of the call, without prompting, the Marriott rep said:

"While we don't have any details about future promotions at hand, if there were to be a summer promotion, it would kick off on June 1. So make sure to log into your account and check the Promotions area on or around June 1."

Thought that was interesting.

SkiAdcock May 17, 2016 10:15 am

Except for last year there's usually been a summer promo each year. I think dates are usually June 1-August 31. Remains to be seen if they'll do it again/how their experiment of not having one worked last summer.

Cheers.

VickiSoCal May 17, 2016 10:24 am

I hope this is good info, although it would be unusual for them not to have announced yet. They usually give a little more time to plan.

SkiAdcock May 17, 2016 11:21 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 26639043)
I hope this is good info, although it would be unusual for them not to have announced yet. They usually give a little more time to plan.

"While we don't have any details about future promotions at hand, if there were to be a summer promotion"

Think the bolded is the operative part. Guess we'll find out in a couple of weeks.

Cheers.

Voodoo Daddy May 17, 2016 1:22 pm

Marriott offered a scaled-back promo during the summer of 2014, and no promo last year. This appears to be a trend based on MR's belief that they will get enough summer traffic without a promotion. I will be highly surprised if there is a summer promotion. Based on this belief, I have moved enough stays to IHG to hit the penultimate tier of their Shared Rewards promotion. If MR does offer something at this point, it will have to be quite good to induce me to move those stays back.

sdsearch May 17, 2016 2:26 pm

Summer in the northern hemisphere is winter in the southern hemisphere. The people far south must be wondering why there's no "winter" promotion. (Of course, for half of that "winter", there is one for Protea, which is a southern hemisphere brand.)

How much of a presence does Marriott have in the southern hemisphere other than Protea?

mclymerne May 17, 2016 8:40 pm

I have 11 Marriott nights booked for June. If they don't have a promotion some of those will be switched to IHG to pile up some bonus points there.

VickiSoCal May 17, 2016 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by mclymerne (Post 26642024)
I have 11 Marriott nights booked for June. If they don't have a promotion some of those will be switched to IHG to pile up some bonus points there.

In 2014, last time they had one, it was announced on May 6.

username May 18, 2016 7:16 pm

One can always stay at SPG hotels this summer where bonus is offered until 31 July :D

MSPeconomist May 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by username (Post 26647457)
One can always stay at SPG hotels this summer where bonus is offered until 31 July :D

Only if you're staying for two or more nights.

TomBrady May 19, 2016 8:56 am

I thought they gave us a psuedo summer bonus with that 3rd win from the spring promotion.

Michilander May 20, 2016 4:41 am

Yeah, they have always announced the summer bonuses by now, but this spring bonus was organized completely differently than any I had ever seen before. Possible they are planning a surprise bonus on 1 June?

nequine May 23, 2016 3:34 am

I just got mine just now - double credits for stays. Kicks in the start of June and applies to all says until the end of the year.

nobbyclark May 23, 2016 3:48 am

Originally Posted by nequine (Post 26667627)
I just got mine just now - double credits for stays. Kicks in the start of June and applies to all says until the end of the year.

Ditto. It seems to be of little or no use as PP/Lifetime Plat.

vatraveler May 23, 2016 6:23 am

Originally Posted by nequine (Post 26667627)

Redemptions included or just paid stays? Thx.