Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon! Need some recommendations!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon! Need some recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2006, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Have you considered Kauai Marriott? It might not be the most "secluded" hotel, but the island of Kauai is a seclude honeymoon destination. It's relatively quite compared to other Hawaii islands, and there are many "romantic honeymoon things" you can do on the island.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Bookexp
Have you considered Kauai Marriott? It might not be the most "secluded" hotel, but the island of Kauai is a seclude honeymoon destination. It's relatively quite compared to other Hawaii islands, and there are many "romantic honeymoon things" you can do on the island.
spent the 2nd week of my honeymoon there years ago (I'll refrain from saying how many LOL) and only give it an eh rating (ok but not a favorite) my favorite resort today is Los Suenos....that isn't saying it's my wifes, she hated the no in room internet (they now have it) and much prefers the Cayman Islands
Old Oct 10, 2006, 4:52 am

Programs: Marriott - Platinum Lifetime, UA- MM, AS- MVPG75
Originally Posted by travelexpert
If you have LOTS of pointts, I think there are way nicer properties. If going abroad is not a barrier, suggest JW Marriott Tiberio Palace in Capri (I shall be doing a trip report soon).
However, even using anytime point total (225K for 7 days) there is nothing available in June.
Old Oct 10, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA PLT, HH Diamond, SPG PLT, MR PLT, Hertz 5*
I spent the third week of my honeymoon in Portugal at the Marriott Praia D'el Rey. I thought it was fantastic. private beach with umbrellas and lounge chairs, surfing, a great outdoor pool and a good indoor one too. Plenty of stuff to do around the hotel (recommend rental car). Pictures at: http://public.fotki.com/jakatz/honey...-th/page6.html (hotel pics start at #264)
Old Oct 10, 2006, 8:21 am

Programs: marriott plat
honeymoon hotel

i second johnaalex's recommendation of the JW in phuket. its definitely secluded, being located in the north of phuket, about a 40 minute drive from all the buzz and noise of patong. your son and his wife would have to head to the patong area for scuba diving, snorkelling and para sailing though, since there's not much on offer at the resort itself and the red flag's up on mai khao beach most days.

the setting and the grounds are gorgeous, with lush tropical gardens, lily pools and infinity pools. i was there last year-our spacious ground-level room had a lovely sala with wraparound windows, a small patio with deck chairs and was beautifully appointed, with a large and luxurious bathroom. there were plenty of good restaurants at the resort itself and of course the amazing mandara spa for massages and treatments. or one can just have massage while lying on the beach itself- heaven.

the point is, its incredibly romantic..having cocktails by the pool while gazing at the sun setting over the andaman sea is pretty unforgettable!
and since the resort is just a cat 5 you'll get a lot of bang for your points.

good luck to your son and his wife wherever they go!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Million Miler, AA Ex-Plat, IHG RA, Marriott PLAT, HERTZ Pres Circle
Honeymoon Help - QUICK

I need 942 points to get a room for two nights in Seoul. It's my honeymoon. What can I do? I'm leaving on Friday.
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:29 pm

Purchase 1,000 points for $10. You may do so by calling your local Marriott Rewards office or online at www.marriottrewards.com.

Hope you have a great honeymoon!
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:43 pm

Programs: Whole Lot of Nothin' anymore - Thanks to baby!
Also, if your (future) spouse is a rewards member and has some points, you may be able to transfer some points (in increments of 1,000) into your account.
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Marriott weddings

Has anyone here ever had a wedding at a Marriott? I'm thinking about a destination wedding at the JW or CasaMagna in Cancun and was wondering if Marriott's wedding planners do a good job.

Obviously I'm not going to be making the calls here -- the fiancee is all over that -- but any information helps.

Also, do points pay out for weddings and receptions the same way they do for room charges? That would be wonderful!
Old Jun 15, 2007, 9:12 am

I used a local Renaissance for my wedding. We received three points for every dollar spent on the wedding and brunch and rooms. We used those points for our honeymoon - week stay at R-C Kapalua (highly rec!).

As for wedding coordinaters, I think that depends on the property.
Old Jun 15, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
I stayed at the Casamagna Marriott Cancun facing the JW in April. I watched two weddings from my balcony It was cute, but I think they just use this little 'garden' area that is b/w the two properties (though it is more on the Casamagna property) I think. Just be aware that you may have others 'watching' your wedding Contact them to make sure, but I think that is where they hold all their weddings if you want it outdoors. Very cute though...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 9:59 am

Location: STL, MO-US and A , SWA A-List, Marriott LTTE, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
We had a Marriott wedding at the Aruba Marriott and they did an awesome job. Our's was right on the beach at sunset and the reception was on the deck next to the pool. A ton a packages to choose from ranging from simple to over the top.

A word of caution about getting married in Mexico, it is a pain in the .... A lot of paperwork, you have to arrive four or five days before the ceremony and they will only perform the ceremony in spanish.

You do earn points for a wedding but I think only for food and beverage charges (not for the photographer or music) Just make sure they put the points earning somewhere in the contract, I didn't and had no problems but I have heard of others that did.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 10:03 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
You should get points for everything you spend at the hotel. If you are blocking rooms for family and friends, you should try and negotiate a comped room for yourself, preferably a suite, but it will depend on the time of the year. The hotel will be looking at how much you are spending. The more you spend, the more you will be able to negotiate in comps.
Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
My son had his wedding at the Marriott Schaumburg, IL (Chicago). They did a fabulous job.

Basically I paid....he wound up with the boatload of points! (He's also a plat)

Old Jun 16, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
I appreciate the replies.

Cyberdad: Did you use a Marriott VISA? I'm curious if I will get 10 points for every dollar spent for the wedding at a Marriott. And what about the elite bonus percentage?

I asked my fiancee to ask the wedding planners this, but she's more concerned with finding a spot for the ceremony, dinner, flowers and other such things. Imagine that.

She's now looking into the CasaMagna Puerto Vallarta, as well. I guess these things are fluid until the deposit check is mailed in.

Thanks again for the responses, folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.