FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Tampa Marriott sold out for bar exam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1587880-tampa-marriott-sold-out-bar-exam.html)

Non-NonRev Jun 24, 2014 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator (Post 23090594)
I'll be damned, thanks for looking it up. I just booked it. They must have just opened up some rooms. So much for the agent saying that they were already walking people...

30 days before the event (give or take a few) is a common date for hotels to release previously blocked rooms. I'd say your timing was impeccable, and is a good omen for a positive exam result! :)

DeltaWings Jun 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Chalky White (Post 23088277)
FWIW, I stayed at that Marriott in Feb. 2014 when I took the bar exam, and I was not impressed. The Westin is nicer, in my opinion.

Really? I am treated exceptionally well at that property and stay quite often. Upgraded to a parlor suite about 75% of the time.

Asked earlier this year if the pizza guy could deliver to my room because I arrived late from a delayed LGA flight and wanted to get out of my clothes... "You're a Platinum, of course we'll allow them to go up."

Rooms are nice, clean and it's really a beautiful property.

$349 is steep to be sure, but that's what happens around a special event.

Best of luck on the bar OP, even though you're a Gator.

GNVGator Jun 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 23090725)
30 days before the event (give or take a few) is a common date for hotels to release previously blocked rooms. I'd say your timing was impeccable, and is a good omen for a positive exam result! :)

I like it, I'm going to run with that logic. ^

Originally Posted by DeltaWings (Post 23091488)
$349 is steep to be sure, but that's what happens around a special event.

Yeah the price we pay for civilized society...

Congrats on the BCS championship, the Gator nation will be back before you know it...

Go Gators

JPjava Jun 25, 2014 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev (Post 23090725)

That makes sense, but... Wasn't he trying to book a blocked room? Or do you mean that perhaps they release block rooms from another group?

GNVGator Jun 25, 2014 6:50 am

The rooms were blocked by a group but I didn't get the invite. I started checking for rooms in that hotel back in April and the phone agent said the whole hotel was blocked. Don't know by whom.

Go Gators

Chalky White Jun 25, 2014 8:30 am

My issue with the place was I booked a king bed, at check-in they only had 2 queen bed rooms left. I asked for compensation under the room type guarantee, and they tried to act like I deserved none. I had to go up to the Club Lounge and print off the MR T&Cs to show them that I was entitled to $100.

Also, I found the bathroom to be no better than a Courtyard's.

JPjava Jun 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator (Post 23093108)
The rooms were blocked by a group but I didn't get the invite. I started checking for rooms in that hotel back in April and the phone agent said the whole hotel was blocked. Don't know by whom.

Go Gators

Gotcha. Here, they block rooms for the exam takers so I thought that was the situation there.

joshua362 Jun 25, 2014 10:12 pm

There is no free lunch. Somewhere, there is a middleman earning a commission for contracting & blocking a bunch of rooms at the Waterside for the exam dates... Glad it work out for the Gator fan, loved Tebow when he was with the Jets and should have been the #1, good luck!

rhyxcom Jun 26, 2014 7:35 am

Good luck on the exam! I've stayed at that hotel quite a bit before and had nice results.

-Fellow Gator in GNV

CMK10 Jun 26, 2014 7:51 pm

No advice about Marriott from me, but I did want to wish you good luck on the bar exam. I just finished my 1L year so I'll be in your shoes in two years.

MSPeconomist Jun 29, 2014 4:45 am

If OP is concerned about being walked, he or she should plan to arrive early. That plus Gold status should be OK. However, if OP is confident about remembering to cancel the Westin reservation, I'd try to keep it until after check in at the Marriott even if doing so might make getting a room tough for another bar exam taker.

BeatCal Jun 29, 2014 6:51 am

Originally Posted by GNVGator (Post 23087287)
So just to update. I called the hotel again and was sent to their reservation desk. The first agent booked me no problem, had him reconfirm the dates 28th-31st. Great rate of $189 for water view with balcony. I had a feeling that it was too good to be true. Of course check my reservation online and he had the dates wrong.

Called back to change the dates and the agent puts me on hold to come back and tell me that they are oversold and sending guests to other hotels. I asked about the platinum override and she reiterated that they were oversold.

Looks like I'll end up doing the platinum challenge even though I don't have plans to stay that many times to meet the challenge. Looked at my account again, I'm 15 days short of platinum not 10...

One thing that worries me though. If they are that grossly over sold what are the odds of getting walked if I do pull off getting a reservation there, that would obviously defeat the purpose of this whole exercise? Might have to just pound sand and stick with the Westin...

Go Gators

plat override works even if they are overbooked with a few restictions and it is at their highest price.
Use the ap with mobile checkin and you can check in before you get there and your room will be held

GNVGator Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

Just to bring this thread in full circle.

Had a great stay at the Marriott waterside in Tampa. The hotel was slammed. There was a Farmer's Insurance convention going on as well which apparently was the group that had the hotel locked up with a group rate. Very proactive "Elite Coordinator" emailed me before my stay asking if I needed anything for the week. She set up lunch to be delivered to my room during the lunch break each day of the bar exam. She also set up a car service to pick me up from the airport.

Arrived on Sunday. Booked the lowest tier city view room. Upgraded to a corner water view room with balcony. Check in was smooth with typical "thank you for being Gold elite etc". Lounge had a decent spread. Dinner time had various cheeses and meats and one or two hot items that changed each day and an honor bar. Breakfast was fairly robust with your typical continental spread but also numerous hot items. Lunch was nonexistent with fruit and some pretzel bags. Great location for downtown and numerous cabs/Uber to get around town. Proactive bellman will call a black car for you if needed.

Internet was spotty. The enhanced/highest speed internet was free for elites but didn't seem to make a difference as internet was pretty spotty in terms of speed. The bandwidth I'm sure was getting crushed since the hotel was fully booked. So I used my phone most of the time as a hotspot.

I ate all of my dinners at the lobby bar which you can order from any restaurant within the hotel (3 different restaurants). They hand you three menus when you sit down. Bar staff recognized me by the end and pumped me full of gratis tequila shots after I finished the exam which was nice of them. Overall great stay, but hopefully I passed and won't have to go back to Tampa...

Go Gators

SkiAdcock Aug 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks for the update on the property. Now we need one more - when you get the news you passed the bar exam! :)

Cheers.

sanfran8080 Aug 21, 2014 11:50 am

Tampa Marriott sold out for bar exam

Great... What America needs.... More lawyers. LOL