FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Tampa Marriott sold out for bar exam (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1587880-tampa-marriott-sold-out-bar-exam.html)

GNVGator Jun 23, 2014 4:05 pm

Tampa Marriott sold out for bar exam

I'm taking the bar at the end of July and like the title says it looks like I'm stuck at the Westin as I need something walking distance to the convention center. Apparently the rooms are blocked off according to the reservation phone agent. As a Gold and ten nights short of Plat are there any tips or tricks to getting a room to open up at a sold out hotel? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks.

Go Gators

jr1202sr Jun 23, 2014 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator (Post 23084054)
I'm taking the bar at the end of July and like the title says it looks like I'm stuck at the Westin as I need something walking distance to the convention center. Apparently the rooms are blocked off according to the reservation phone agent. As a Gold and ten nights short of Plat are there any tips or tricks to getting a room to open up at a sold out hotel? Any and all advice welcome. Thanks.

Go Gators

what dates?

dayone Jun 23, 2014 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by GNVGator (Post 23084054)
As a Gold [...] are there any tips or tricks to getting a room to open up at a sold out hotel?

Call the hotel and ask.

joshua362 Jun 23, 2014 7:25 pm

First, find out if the PLT override will even work or if they have an exemption. Either ask the hotel or give us the exact dates and a PLT will try and book it.

Then if you really want 10 nights fast for PLT, do one of these. Although if you are studying for the bar, you might not want to waste your energy doing so. Good luck!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-required.html

DeltaWings Jun 23, 2014 8:09 pm

Quick Google search returned July 29-30 as the dates for the exam. I'll call and check on the override now.

EDIT: Was just offered an override at $329/night.

ohmark Jun 23, 2014 8:59 pm

If it's Waterside, that's the rate I'm being offered (logged in as a plat). Good luck on the Bar.

FLgrr Jun 24, 2014 5:20 am

Remember, though not next door, there are a Courtyard and Residence Inn in downtown. They are north of the convention center, closer to the highway. Its within walking distance for a healthy person, though a sweaty FL walk. There are restaurants in that area as well,, near the office buildings and some apartment towers and performing arts center/museums. There is a downtown 'trolley' bus that runs, maybe up to the hotel in the hours ya would need.

GNVGator Jun 24, 2014 6:07 am

Thanks for looking. I'm looking to stay from the 28th to the 31st. I'd be happy to pay $329 but I'm not a platinum. Tried calling the hotel once and they sent me to the reservation "desk" which was the Marriott 800 number. The next time I call I just ask "hey I know you guys are sold out but is there any way you can open a room up for a gold, I really don't want to stay at the Westin"?

Yeah I know about the CY and RI but they aren't walking distance from the convention center, parking is excruciating apparently. We get a break between exams and I'd love to be able to run back to the hotel and grab lunch/dinner and review my notes in my room.

Is there a trial platinum status or anything I could get a hold of to get the plat override? Thanks

Go Gators

joshua362 Jun 24, 2014 6:16 am

Originally Posted by GNVGator (Post 23086794)

Is there a trial platinum status or anything I could get a hold of to get the plat override? Thanks

Go Gators

Bingo, I think there is a challenge although you get the status immediately? Others will know for sure. Call & ask.

GNVGator Jun 24, 2014 8:05 am

So just to update. I called the hotel again and was sent to their reservation desk. The first agent booked me no problem, had him reconfirm the dates 28th-31st. Great rate of $189 for water view with balcony. I had a feeling that it was too good to be true. Of course check my reservation online and he had the dates wrong.

Called back to change the dates and the agent puts me on hold to come back and tell me that they are oversold and sending guests to other hotels. I asked about the platinum override and she reiterated that they were oversold.

Looks like I'll end up doing the platinum challenge even though I don't have plans to stay that many times to meet the challenge. Looked at my account again, I'm 15 days short of platinum not 10...

One thing that worries me though. If they are that grossly over sold what are the odds of getting walked if I do pull off getting a reservation there, that would obviously defeat the purpose of this whole exercise? Might have to just pound sand and stick with the Westin...

Go Gators

Chalky White Jun 24, 2014 10:56 am

Find out what the last date it is for bar takers to postpone taking the bar, and then call the hotel back on that date. Might be a few cancellations at the hotel.

FWIW, I stayed at that Marriott in Feb. 2014 when I took the bar exam, and I was not impressed. The Westin is nicer, in my opinion.

GNVGator Jun 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Chalky White (Post 23088277)
Find out what the last date it is for bar takers to postpone taking the bar, and then call the hotel back on that date. Might be a few cancellations at the hotel.

FWIW, I stayed at that Marriott in Feb. 2014 when I took the bar exam, and I was not impressed. The Westin is nicer, in my opinion.

That's a good idea, but it looks like you can postpone it right up to kick off, the fee for postponement increases a week prior to the exam. I'll check back with the hotel a week before to see if anything opens up.

Good to know about the Westin, perhaps all is not lost. I do have SPG gold through Amex so that's at least worth some free internet...

Go Gators

JPjava Jun 24, 2014 3:49 pm

You are talking about the Tampa Marriott Waterside, on Franklin Street, correct?
And you need July 28-31, 2014?

If so, I just checked and they are showing availability at marriott.com for those dates, at $349/night. I also see some better rates elsewhere. They are prepaid, however, so would not qualify for LNF. But since I doubt you will be canceling, maybe that is the way to go?

EDIT: Disregard the mention of the lower rate. The site I was referring to was averaging the rate for the three nights. The last night is cheaper.

GNVGator Jun 24, 2014 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by JPjava (Post 23090050)
You are talking about the Tampa Marriott Waterside, on Franklin Street, correct?
And you need July 28-31, 2014?

If so, I just checked and they are showing availability at marriott.com for those dates, at $349/night. I also see some better rates elsewhere. They are prepaid, however, so would not qualify for LNF. But since I doubt you will be canceling, maybe that is the way to go?

EDIT: Disregard the mention of the lower rate. The site I was referring to was averaging the rate for the three nights. The last night is cheaper.

I'll be damned, thanks for looking it up. I just booked it. They must have just opened up some rooms. So much for the agent saying that they were already walking people...

Great work everybody, a lot of hustle, that's what I like to see, FT is the best, wish me luck

Go Gators

Edit: I'll go ahead and cancel my Westin reservation unless anybody thinks the risk of being walked is big enough to keep it, I can cancel by 6pm day of check in to get a refund.

JPjava Jun 24, 2014 5:57 pm

You're welcome! I'm a bar exam taker/survivor of a year ago, so I'm glad to help. Best of luck on the exam! I have no clue about the odds of being walked, so I will leave that to someone else...