Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard Miami Coconut Grove, FL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat

Just got back from a great cat-4 redemption at Courtyard Coconut Grove, FL and FT doesn't seem to have much info about it.

Hotel is located walking distance from downtown Coconut Grove with shops and restaurants, and about 20 minute drive from South Beach. As an option for families or couples who have a car and want to stay in a quieter area, it can't be beat. Across the street is a Fresh Market grocery store and several yacht clubs, some of which have boats/jet skis to rent for daily use. Near the docks there is a walking/jogging promenade and a few nice seafood restaurants.

Upon arrival, the hotel had already upgraded me, as a Gold member, to a city view suite. Loved that they attended to it ahead of time, but I ended up asking for a trade to a Biscayne Bay-view room with a balcony... which was definitely what the doctor ordered after dealing with the polar vortex up north.

The lobby and rooms had been redone recently, though you could tell in places that the hotel itself was older. Room decor and furnishings were all very clean and fresh. (Elevators were suuuper slow though, and no breakfast for elites.)

There's no self-parking option, and since we were out exploring Miami for the majority of our hours there, the front desk staff gave us the great tip of just parking at the metered spots right outside the hotel. (4hr max, metered from 10am-2am)

Overall, I was very pleased with the stay. GREAT redemption opportunity for category 1-4 certs. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, the room had plenty of space and a stellar sunrise view, and it was easy to get to/from the hotel. There's also an outdoor heated pool, which doesn't compare to a South Beach hotel pool, but for a couple of hours it's fine.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 5:32 pm

I just stayed there last week, family of 4. It was a shot in the dark as I've never been to Miami, just needed to use up my free CAT 1-4 certificate. I was on the 19th floor, it wasn't a suite per se, but it had to have been the largest non-suite room I've ever stayed in. It had a full dining room table with lots of extra space. Easy walk to a Cheesecake Factory, Johnny Rocket's, Chili's, Starbuck's, and a bunch of other stuff. Valet parking was a tad steep at $24 (there was only about 8 metered spaces around, I didn't really want to have to worry about it every 4 hours). The valet guy even remembered my name. I'm not sure someone would want to stay there more than 1 or 2 nights as there really isn't a whole lot to do, but overall a very nice place to use up a Cat 4 certificate if you need to stay over a night in Miami area. Also we used the laundry room, you could have eaten off the floor it was so clean and nice. I actually just sat and waited 20 minutes for the spin cycle to finish up.^
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the two trip reports! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I guess the hotel is closed currently since I cannot find availability in the coming months.... Does anyone know why? The Marriott website doesn't give any indications...
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:25 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
The last reviews on TripAdvisor for this property were from late August 2017 which would coincide with when Hurricane Irma hit the area. I just tried to contact the property and it just kept looping through their automated system. If I were to hazard to guess, this property probably sustained heavy damage from the storm and the owners did not feel like investing the capital to make repairs. It seems odd that the page and phone system still work with no mention of the property being closed, but perhaps there are some legal hurdles the owners and Marriott are trying to work out?
Old Feb 23, 2018, 12:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Maybe problems between owner and insurance following Irma? Because this property isn‘t owned by a shady owner. It‘s owned by a company which owns many more Marriotts.

https://robertfinvarbcompanies.com/hotel-portfolio-1/
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I stayed at this property for one night on an award stay. The staff is a disaster. I checked in and the man at the desk put a $970 hold on my credit card. He told me $100 for incidentals. I got to the room and there was someone else's name on the TV screen. I didn't think too much of it. I went down and asked in the morning and was told that I was checked into the wrong room (which was for someone with a similar name). They were there on a two-week stay and that was why there was a hold. No apology or anything further than them saying they would waive the resort fee.

Fast forward three weeks and two charges appear on my Amex. One for $750 and one for $780. I called the hotel and was told I have to speak to billing. I leave a message and no one calls me back. I call again. Nothing. I call again and ask for a manager and am told there isn't one. A quick Google search reveals that the GM role is now vacant. I can't get anywhere so I dispute it with Amex. The hotel provides a generic, unsigned receipt just showing the total and transaction numbers. Amex reverses the dispute and says I'm liable. I dispute it again arguing that if these charges were made at a Marriott property that I should have earned Bonvoy points. I also contacted the Ambassador line. The hotel then credited the charges without any further explanation and the Ambassador gave me some points as an apology. TripAdvisor reviews are not positive and I will never stay here again. Be warned.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2022, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
I stayed at this property for one night on an award stay. The staff is a disaster.
Welcome to Miami! Was the sky blue?
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2022, 9:37 pm

Has anyone else stayed here recently? The recent Tripadvisor reviews look abysmal. I was planning to stay here at the end of March given it only cost 25k points but cash rates are $800 but now am second guessing my choice.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 2:41 pm

Haven't stayed there, but do realize that La Republica de Miami does indeed function more like a Latin-American country than USA. Expect apathetic service no matter where you go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.