Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Punta Islita, Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier, SPG Plat
Hotel Punta Islita, Costa Rica

I did a search and nothing came up on this hotel. It looks to be an Autograph Hotel coming this month (September 2013) per the Marriott website. I guess it's a takeover of an existing hotel. It looks pretty remote but interesting and different than other Marriott hotels in Central America.

Does anyone know anything about this hotel? Do you think it will be available for reservations soon?

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...ph-collection/
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: None - previously UA
I stayed here a few years ago and loved it. It's somewhat remote and takes some getting to on rough roads but its a step above the other Marriott properties in CR in terms of exclusivity, very much a boutique property. I remember the property had strong local community involvement, hopefully that continues.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Sep 12, 2013 at 7:12 am
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, I'd be all over that as a Cat 6.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I stayed here a few years ago and loved it. It's somewhat remote and takes some getting to on rough roads but its a step above the other Marriott properties in CR in terms of exclusivity, very much a boutique property. I remember the property had strong local community involvement, hopefully that continues.
Would you mind providing a bit more information? I'm interested in the proximity of any sort of towns, how the food was on/off property, and what the beach access was like for lounging & various watersports.

I'll volunteer to check it out in November if the opening doesn't get pushed back and reward bookings are available...
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by McGoogles
Would you mind providing a bit more information? I'm interested in the proximity of any sort of towns, how the food was on/off property, and what the beach access was like for lounging & various watersports.

I'll volunteer to check it out in November if the opening doesn't get pushed back and reward bookings are available...
Getting there:
So getting there was an adventure. We went through Hojancha? following a rough road which had partly fallen away in places. This is the most direct route. We had a 4WD, I'm guessing most would want one, especially in rainy season. There are 2 places to cross the river Ora, one near the coast and a bridge a few miles inland. On the way there we crossed inland, and on the way out planned to ford the river and drive through Playa Samara. When we got to the crossing there was a mostly submerged SUV stuck in the river so we scrapped that plan and just drove around again about a 45 min detour to Samara. In dry season it may be easy to cross meaning Samara and Carillo are effectively much closer, maybe 30-45 min total. The roads are pretty rough on the south side of the river Ora. I don't know if they have improved infrastructure since I was there in '10 but part of the appeal to me was the isolation.

The resort:
The main pool has a bar, the pictures do it justice. Apart from meals we didn't spend much time here. For the most part we hung out at the beach club, which was a very pretty setting, very quite and relaxing. The beach is a decent one for learning to surf. The main activity here was lounging and relaxing though.

The room:
Was quite basic for what the rate was. But it had a hammock and a deck. We didn't get an upgrade to one of the plunge pool rooms, but we did have a great view.

Activities: We drove our self over to some of the beaches (Corazalito and Camoronal) one of which just happened to have turtles hatching! These beaches were completely empty apart from some friendly rangers/turtle protectors who spoke absolutely no English. There is also a small mashee golf course with a pond and a small crocodile or caiman.

They were various organized activities through the hotel but we had done a lot of this before getting there and just wanted to relax.

There was a gym, it was small & I didn't use it.

Restaurants: We ate 2 nights at the 1492 and 1 night at a place down the road. I remember not being blown away by 1492 but this may well change. Breakfast was good. Choice of Costa Rican or American. There was a basic restaurant down the road (walking distance) serving traditional Costa Rican cuisine. The beach club also had burgers sandwiches etc until 4 pm or so.

Last edited by escapefromphl; Sep 12, 2013 at 10:01 am
Old Sep 13, 2013, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! I'll try to keep an eye on this hotel and update the thread if/when it opens with hopefully a TR to follow.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 9:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, MR PP, HHonors Gold
Hotel is now open for booking. Just made a reservation for mid-Feb. ^
Old Sep 23, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: Marriott
Does anyone have some recent info on this place?

Any thoughts on this hotel vs. the JW Guanacaste?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by OnTheLevel2025
Hotel is now open for booking. Just made a reservation for mid-Feb. ^
We check in the 15th for three nights before moving to the Westin for a work conference.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We check in the 15th for three nights before moving to the Westin for a work conference.
Details?
Upgrades?

We are going soon, same deal.
We have a Deluxe but wondering if I should upgrade to Jr Suite or Casita?

Also, how long / how bad was the trip to Westin?
(And for that matter to the Hotel?).

Did you rent a car?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rthib
Details?
Upgrades?

We are going soon, same deal.
We have a Deluxe but wondering if I should upgrade to Jr Suite or Casita?

Also, how long / how bad was the trip to Westin?
(And for that matter to the Hotel?).

Did you rent a car?
Well, I will be happy to tell you everything after our trip.

We check in on the 15th for three nights then off to the Westin for four nights.

Rented a car from Vamos. Highly rated on trip advisor.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by kristiank
Mr. Vker and Da5id,
Thank you very much for the info. Perfect. And hey, it's such a nice view and good news that I don't mind at all the duplicate post
Trip report I posted from Feb 2014.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...ip-report.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.