Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Phishing attempt (Important Notice Regarding Your Marriott Account)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Phishing attempt (Important Notice Regarding Your Marriott Account)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:43 am
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
FALSE ALARM...MY P/W WAS NOT INCLUDED IN THE EMAIL!!!
Thanks PhillyPhlyer40 - glad everything checks out!!
Old Jul 18, 2013, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, UA MM 1K, MR Titanium Lifetime
Fraudulent Email Circulating according to marriott.com

Just saw this on the Marriott Website.

http://news.marriott.com/2013/07/fra...ting.html#more
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:49 pm

Marriott phishing?

I got this saying security was being reviewed. I don't know if its real:
Dear xxx xxxx,

Safeguarding your Marriott Rewards® account is our top priority.

We'll be adding enhanced security features in the coming weeks to further protect your account.

To prepare for these updates, we ask that you take a moment to sign into your account and update your profile with your preferred phone number and email address.

Soon, if you make updates to your profile or redeem points for certain awards, you'll be prompted to enter a temporary code which you will be able to receive through email, SMS or phone. For your convenience, you will also be able to register your device during this process to speed up future account profile changes and redemptions. We value your loyalty and just want to make sure it's really you ordering that gift card or changing your profile.

Taking this one extra step makes your account even more secure and will help prevent unauthorized access. It's one of the many ways we've got your account – and you – covered.
Sincerely,
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
I got that too. They had my name and my status, so I didn't think too much of it. I did, however, go to my account page by keying in marriott.com instead of clicking anything in order to go verify my phone #/email.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by emsahb81
I got this saying security was being reviewed. I don't know if its real:
Dear xxx xxxx,

Safeguarding your Marriott Rewards® account is our top priority.

We'll be adding enhanced security features in the coming weeks to further protect your account.

To prepare for these updates, we ask that you take a moment to sign into your account and update your profile with your preferred phone number and email address.

Soon, if you make updates to your profile or redeem points for certain awards, you'll be prompted to enter a temporary code which you will be able to receive through email, SMS or phone. For your convenience, you will also be able to register your device during this process to speed up future account profile changes and redemptions. We value your loyalty and just want to make sure it's really you ordering that gift card or changing your profile.

Taking this one extra step makes your account even more secure and will help prevent unauthorized access. It's one of the many ways we've got your account – and you – covered.
Sincerely,
Clicking the link takes you to the marriott sign in page with marriott.com as the address. Regardless, would recommend typing in marriott.com as it's always good practice
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
this is real, moderators have confirmed on marriott insider page as well as an exclusive news post by the community manager days before they started sending the emails.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by pritomd
I got that too. They had my name and my status, so I didn't think too much of it. I did, however, go to my account page by keying in marriott.com instead of clicking anything in order to go verify my phone #/email.
+1. I had to be extra cautious, because my company is planting phishing emails to train us in recognizing them. I got a package notification yesterday which I reportted, and while I was actually expecting a package that did arrive yesterday, the email from Marriott sure did look legit! Glad I didn't report it as a phishing email!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:01 pm
Company Representative - Marriott Concierge

Please see this post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post25122104
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:58 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Fatal deficiency in the "phishing" email

I'm sorry, but any email like this which carries a copyright date of 2013, as this one does, is going to be immediately deleted as suspect. If Marriott can't get that right, what confidence does that give us in the rest of their security operation?
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
I'm sorry, but any email like this which carries a copyright date of 2013, as this one does, is going to be immediately deleted as suspect. If Marriott can't get that right, what confidence does that give us in the rest of their security operation?
Do you realize you are adding meaningless post to a thread that was from 2013?!

Of course the letter cited in the post was dated 2013 because the thread was started in July 16 2013.

Marriott FT rep has already started a thread on July 15, 2015 that the CURRENT email is a legitimate email sent to members RECENTLY to update one's profile, because this 2 years old thread is resurrected on July 14, 2015 by some newbie who joined FT in Jul 2015.

Even after Marriott rep clarified the matter and pointing people to the Current thread, you sill add a post to a 2 years old resurrected thread, complaining about Marriott security without paying an iota of attention on what is going on.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 19, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.