Wiki Posts
Search

No upgrade???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

No upgrade???

Guys

I've been to many marriotts in the country and they often upgrade me to a better room if one is available. I called this hotel in a LA suburb this evening and the mgr on duty was adamant to tell me that they never do upgrades and I will have to pay for a better room even if they have many available. I was trying to convince him to provide me a family suite room (with 2 bedrooms) since I'm staying with a colleague but no go

Are there any such hotels where they have a strict no-upgrade policy? 1st I"m hearing of that in the hospitality industry

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
What brand property?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
You shouldn't have asked for a second bedroom.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by DesertFlier
You shouldn't have asked for a second bedroom.
+1 Suites are never included. Some properties go above and beyond and offer them anyway. Better view, CL Floor, Larger Regular Room are all fair game for an elite upgrade request. If they turned that down and they had room than you have something to complain about it. My two cents...

--Jon
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: MR LTP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Sounds weird if your are MR Plat
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:11 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
From the Marriott website:
Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.

So, MR Plat members may indeed be upgraded to a suite, but it appears the hotel has much weasel room not to give it.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by sam007
Guys

I've been to many marriotts in the country and they often upgrade me to a better room if one is available. I called this hotel in a LA suburb this evening and the mgr on duty was adamant to tell me that they never do upgrades and I will have to pay for a better room even if they have many available. I was trying to convince him to provide me a family suite room (with 2 bedrooms) since I'm staying with a colleague but no go

Are there any such hotels where they have a strict no-upgrade policy? 1st I"m hearing of that in the hospitality industry

Thanks
I would never expect any hotel would give such a generous upgrade (unless you booked something that is 1 cat below the family suite), even though Mr. Nacho is a Plat. If you want guarantee suite upgrades then SPG and Hyatt Diamond might be a good choice.

In the Marriott hotels I stayed at in Germany, it's 1 category upgrade for Golds and Plats, and if they put you on club level, and you have already booked a club room, you won't get further upgrade either.

I have had numerous times in the US Marriotts using the excuse that they are full to avoid giving us an upgrade and I have asked for an upgrade and was turned down without giving me a reason.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by Tanic
From the Marriott website:
Upgrades may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites, subject to availability identified by each hotel.

So, MR Plat members may indeed be upgraded to a suite, but it appears the hotel has much weasel room not to give it.
The text in the benefits section reads:

Room Upgrade: At no additional charge, we’ll do our best to upgrade you to our best-available guest room in the next room category level. Not available at Marriott Vacation Club
So depending on the type of hotel, and the room booked by the OP, he may be asking for an upgrade of multiple room categories.

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:33 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I'd guess this is a RI and the OP asked for a 1BR to 2BR upgrade. This has been discussed at length, quite recently. I think its a very reasonable request and a should be expected upgrade, others disagree. Most RI's do willingly but there are a few hard nosed RI's out there IME. Usually they just lie about not having them available so I applaud them for at least being honest...
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless it's a regular at that particular property this is the property slitting its own throat. One thing to give someone a freebie to a room with an extra bath towel or whatever. But, a second bedroom usually means that someone is skipping renting an extra room. That's a lot of revenue to forgo unless we're talking someone paying rack rate 3 nights/week at the specific property.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just to clarify, your company requires you to share a room with a colleague?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:19 am
Original Poster

yes company requires me to share the room, no exceptions
The property is Fairfield Inn & Suites
I'm trying to go from
Guest room, 2 Queen to a Suite, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 2 Queen, Bathrooms: 2

The current rates on marriott.com show up as $145 and $170 respectively
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by texdoc
Sounds weird if your are MR Plat
Where is it stated that the OP is MR Platinum?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:51 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by sam007
yes company requires me to share the room, no exceptions
The property is Fairfield Inn & Suites
I'm trying to go from
Guest room, 2 Queen to a Suite, Bedroom 1: 1 King, Bedroom 2: 2 Queen, Bathrooms: 2

The current rates on marriott.com show up as $145 and $170 respectively
Well, it does sound like you are requesting an upgrade of 2 room categories, since the normal list of rooms would be:

- Guest room
- Suite with 1 bedroom
- Suite with 2 bedrooms

Thus, your request is not covered by the elite benefits.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:52 am
Original Poster

do mr's usually manage to get upgraded this way when a large qty of rooms area aval?

thx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.