FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Breaking up with Marriott (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1415397-breaking-up-marriott.html)

EEH Dec 26, 2012 5:27 pm

I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property. I have received a suite upgrade at the Portland Or, City Center twice in the month of Dec and a large corner room at the Seattle Water Front Marriott, stays were weekday in Dec (this month).

There are only so many of these sleeping rooms to go around and if they have not been purchased and if the hotel is light on guest(s) it has been my experience that I get a very nice upgrade. I never count on a suite but I do get them and I appreciate the nod to my status when I do.

Boraxo Dec 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 19922757)
There's absolutely no incentive for individual hotels to give a plat a suite upgrade if you arent' a repeat customer at their hotel. And they don't know that you don't pester every single hotel you stay at for one. We are like you, we don't pester, and it seems like when we could really use one, we don't get it.

That kind of attitude does not engender loyalty and is contrary to my experience. I occasionally receive a 1BR or suite upgrade on 1 night business stays, but never on multi-night stays on repeat visits. If I were to guess it would be that a hotel that is near capacity is more likely to upgrade me for one night rather than forego the revenue on multiple nights. Of course that is exactly the opposite of what the customer wants.

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 19923379)
I'll try to get Hilton Diamond this year to go with my Marriott Plat and PC Plat. And then at the end of 2013, I'll see if Hilton really is worse than Marriott or not. :p

I think you will find Hilton to be comparable to Marriott. Few if any suite upgrades, decent breakfast in the lounge (where avail and not always weekends) and perhaps a little better service when you have an issue.

Originally Posted by EEH (Post 19924685)
I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property.

For SPG it appears this is true (per FT reports) but I do not find it true for Marriott which appears loathe to give out suites unless you checkin late and they have an oversold situation. YMMV.

USirritated Dec 26, 2012 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by EEH (Post 19924685)
I believe if you get a suite upgrade is very dependent on how full the hotel is and how many Plats or golds are on property. I have received a suite upgrade at the Portland Or, City Center twice in the month of Dec and a large corner room at the Seattle Water Front Marriott, stays were weekday in Dec (this month).

There are only so many of these sleeping rooms to go around and if they have not been purchased and if the hotel is light on guest(s) it has been my experience that I get a very nice upgrade. I never count on a suite but I do get them and I appreciate the nod to my status when I do.

Actually, it can go either way. If they are experiencing light occupancy, they will be more likely to have suites to spare, so suite upgrades for elites may be easier to come by for elites. And if they are experiencing heavy occupancy, but no one is paying for better rooms, they may run short of regular rooms, but have suites to spare, so that may mean suite upgrades for elites are easier to get.

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 19924760)
That kind of attitude does not engender loyalty and is contrary to my experience. I occasionally receive a 1BR or suite upgrade on 1 night business stays, but never on multi-night stays on repeat visits. If I were to guess it would be that a hotel that is near capacity is more likely to upgrade me for one night rather than forego the revenue on multiple nights. Of course that is exactly the opposite of what the customer wants.

I've received suites for one night stays, and also for longer stays, it just depends on the circumstances when I check in. I have also had split stays in suites, for example on a seven night stay in Renaissance Las Vegas where the front desk said there are no suites available for the first three nights, but the last four nights are available for a suite, and would I like to move. Of course I said yes.

As far as repeat visits go, I have found that suites are more likely for repeat visits, especially at hotels where I have been often. For example I have stayed at the Washington DC Marriott Wardman Park many, many times, and I have probably been put in suites there on 85% of my stays, from two days to nine days, and they always greet me there as a returning guest.

A few visits ago at the Wardman Park, the FD Mgr. checked me in, and mentioned that I was going to pass the 75 night mark for that year on that stay, and not only was I getting a suite, but that the hotel wanted to express it's appreciation for me spending my 75th night at Wardman, and gave me two restaurant vouchers for $40 each plus free valet parking for my stay. Some hotels just go above and beyond for Plats. I sent them a thank you note after my stay.

aero0729 Feb 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Boycott Marriott! Who is in!?

As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

- Point values now diminished. Hotels cost almost what Hilton's do but points are much harder to earn
-Poor treatments of Platinum Members
*lack of upgrades
*Courtyard - yuck... bad hotels with no benefits
*No free breakfast on weekends. (even for Platinum..awful)
*MAJOR category changes destroying the purpose of the mega bonus, travel packages and points in general. Worse than any program in history.
*Platinum phone line ... automated garbage
*Lots of nice hotels, but too many dilapidated hotels going up in category.
*Nothing special about the program and nothing changes.

BKKLEE Feb 12, 2013 6:37 pm

the list of fellow whiners is in another thread............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post20235472

Originally Posted by aero0729 (Post 20235503)
As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

- Point values now diminished. Hotels cost almost what Hilton's do but points are much harder to earn
*lack of upgrades
*MAJOR category changes destroying the purpose of the mega bonus, travel packages and points in general. Worse than any program in history.

Flyer888 Feb 12, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd agree regarding Marriott props in the US. But out here in Asia, I am happy with them.

aaupgrade Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm

:confused: Then why do you stay at Marriotts?

Minneapolis Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Im in.

aero0729 Feb 12, 2013 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 20235596)
:confused: Then why do you stay at Marriotts?

I don't! I'm leaving! If mass people do not leave..then companies will never make POSITIVE changes to loyalty programs!

BKKLEE Feb 12, 2013 6:53 pm

THXs:
less competition for upgrades......
less redemptions thereby not causing further Cat increases.......
more room in respective Exec Lounges........

Originally Posted by aero0729 (Post 20235606)
I don't! I'm leaving! If mass people do not leave..then companies will never make POSITIVE changes to loyalty programs!

aero0729 Feb 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 20235625)
THXs:
less competition for upgrades......
less redemptions thereby not causing further Cat increases.......
more room in respective Exec Lounges........

Nope.. you see I will ONLY be redeeming! I will not spend another $ but I will blow my points (quicker thanks tot he new chart!)

jr1202sr Feb 12, 2013 7:26 pm

Agreed. Availability is going to dry up real quickly with people empty their banks by May as well. I know I have already booked 3 Trips on Points since the change was announced and cancelled 15 Nights at a FS property in Florida. Going to Try Starwood since I frequent resorts and all the changes.

Mr. Vker Feb 12, 2013 9:29 pm

deleted

travelexpert Feb 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 20235551)
the list of fellow whiners is in another thread............
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post20235472

I like this thread. A LOT.

This other thread referenced is the real whiner thread.

THIS one is for those ready to put their money where there mouth is, and actually do something.

So yes--I am in as well.

So here is what I have done:

1. Just called to cancel an upcoming 32 night residential stay that was timed to coincide with the Megabonus (which should now be renamed the Minibonus since that is what it is worth). I'm rather heading over to Hyatt Place. Will get a Hyatt Diamond match for my (lifetime) Platinum status--and I'm off to a whole new world of being appreciated for my $$$$ spend (plus free breakfasts at every property--including weekends, resorts, and any other exclusions MR randomly comes up with).

2. Canceled my Marriott Rewards Visa card since the level 5 reward night each year is now virtually useless. If I want crappy accommodations--I can always sleep in my yard. No need to pay a hefty annual fee for a useless annual "reward".

BKKLEE Feb 12, 2013 11:07 pm

since the increased changes affected roughly 1000 props out of some 3500 props those unaffected by the catagory increases will not have all the others rushing to utilyze their points to lock-up lower Cats leaving ,ore then a sufficient bank of props to choose from.......

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20235811)
Agreed. Availability is going to dry up real quickly with people empty their banks by May as well.

florin Feb 13, 2013 4:22 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 20236518)
So here is what I have done:

1. Just called to cancel an upcoming 32 night residential stay that was timed to coincide with the Megabonus (which should now be renamed the Minibonus since that is what it is worth). I'm rather heading over to Hyatt Place. Will get a Hyatt Diamond match for my (lifetime) Platinum status--and I'm off to a whole new world of being appreciated for my $$$$ spend (plus free breakfasts at every property--including weekends, resorts, and any other exclusions MR randomly comes up with).

2. Canceled my Marriott Rewards Visa card since the level 5 reward night each year is now virtually useless. If I want crappy accommodations--I can always sleep in my yard. No need to pay a hefty annual fee for a useless annual "reward".

If I may, I'd like to suggest (3): write a letter to Marriott telling them what you have done and WHY you have done it.

aero0729 Feb 13, 2013 4:54 am

Originally Posted by florin (Post 20237778)
If I may, I'd like to suggest (3): write a letter to Marriott telling them what you have done and WHY you have done it.

I wrote a letter and got a rather generic response. 2011..210 nights ..2012 ..120 nights plus 55 nights at SPG and 65 at Hilton....2013 will be 150 hilton 50 SPG. Tgey do not seem to care about one customer leaving. Need to make a mass dash!

markzz2 Feb 13, 2013 5:15 am

I have just got my Platinum Lifetime Status and will be drifting away slowly.

Have recently stayed at some very nice Hyatt properties and do appreciate the breakfast and other benefits they seem to offer elite members.

There are certain Marriott properties that I consider irreplaceable though and will still continue to visit, the locations are just special. They are all resorts and the benefits are always zero there anyway!

Now I just have 2 million Marriott Rewards to use up!

SkiAdcock Feb 13, 2013 5:20 am

Overall I'm happy w/ Marriott & every chain has its pros/cons (read the I'm leaving Hilton, Hyatt & Hilton threads ;)), so I'm staying.

Cheers.

jr1202sr Feb 13, 2013 5:36 am

would be helpful to posts some emails, addresses and Phone #'s where people could lodge their complaints.

When I spoke to MR on the phone earlier this AM they were not surprised by my call nor disagreed with my arguements. She docuemented the days I cancelled with Marriott Earlier yesterday and verified them and took my complaint and said she would pass it on to her supervisor. She also said that I was not the first person to make the same complaint to her recently. She seem worn out from the topic and didn't try to defend the move.

Love how Marriott Concierge has been NOWHERE trying to make this smoother either.

PSST....they don't care their loyalty program motto has changed to "churn and burn"

BostonFlyer1624 Feb 13, 2013 5:48 am

I'm on the verge of leaving - trying to decide between Hilton, Hyatt, and SPG.

jr1202sr Feb 13, 2013 5:58 am

I am trying SPG b/c I stay in Florida and the Carribean a lot and there seem to have a decent footprint there and treat you nicely at a resort.

This is also a nice perk:http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ing+Aramean%29

rylan Feb 13, 2013 6:15 am

Unfortunately its a similar situation with what airlines are doing... more travelers = higher yield and higher prices, and they slash benefits at the same time since they figure somebody else will always be there to buy the ticket or stay in the room.

jr1202sr Feb 13, 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 20238215)
Unfortunately its a similar situation with what airlines are doing... more travelers = higher yield and higher prices, and they slash benefits at the same time since they figure somebody else will always be there to buy the ticket or stay in the room.

So why not do what the airlines are going too and make it revenue based only and throw out the # of stays. Never understood how 50 NYC and Chicago stays would not equal 75 stays at Marriott CY in Ocala.

BKKLEE Feb 13, 2013 6:27 am

if the stays are all one nighters, they don't as the 50 will get ya gold and the 75 will get ya plat regardless of what city you slept in............

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20238233)
So why not do what the airlines are going too and make it revenue based only and throw out the # of stays. Never understood how 50 NYC and Chicago stays could equal 75 stays at Marriott CY in Ocala.

BostonFlyer1624 Feb 13, 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 20238257)
if the stays are all one nighters, they don't as the 50 will get ya gold and the 75 will get ya plat regardless of what city you slept in............

BKKLEE, he is referring to $ spent, not nights

Moriens Feb 13, 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20238233)
So why not do what the airlines are going too and make it revenue based only and throw out the # of stays. Never understood how 50 NYC and Chicago stays would not equal 75 stays at Marriott CY in Ocala.

Because of different occupancy levels.

Expensive NYC hotels fill up often. Move your $500 NYC stay from Marriott to an InterContinental, and the IC will sell out sooner. Then someone will buy the $500 Marriott room anyway.

Cheaper hotels in (for example) OCF rarely fill up. Move your $150 OCF stay from the CY to a Holiday Inn Express, and the Marriott franchisee loses $150 in revenue. (Unless they also own the HIX.)

Orange County Commuter Feb 13, 2013 7:28 am

And the churn goes on...

The upset SPG/Hilton etc move to Marriott as you all go storming off to them.

To the hotels it makes no difference. Same amount of cash coming in.

(The grass probably looks greener, but are you sure that's not just different manure?)

jr1202sr Feb 13, 2013 7:57 am

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter (Post 20238545)
And the churn goes on...

(The grass probably looks greener, but are you sure that's not just different manure?)

pretty Sure Marriott has gone to the Churn and Burn as evidenced by the Plat Challenges. If am go to SPG I have to EARN IT before I get it. Don't you think that keeps a lot of people from reaching Plat? At Marriott, you just make a phone call and you get Plat.

Why not just swtich all biz to SPG and ask for the Challenge if you find yourself needing a Marriott? Between a Spouse and yourself you could cover 6 months of the year.

Texas Booster Feb 13, 2013 8:25 am

I will be staying at Marriott for a couple of years until I earn lifetime points (already have the nights).

Since my average stay is so inexpensive, I see way too many CY, FI and SHS to stay within my new improved travel budget. The times when I can pick up a Renaissance or a full service are few, but they seem special compared to the low end hotels. At the under $90 price range, I will keep staying at any Marriott property - usually their low end beats HIE or other low cost locations.

I just voted on the FT Awards and Marriott didn't get a single vote ... very small protest but about all I can do at this point.

Crazyhotelguy Feb 13, 2013 8:32 am

And the churn goes on...

True...

dionnec123 Feb 13, 2013 8:44 am

[QUOTE=jr1202sr;20238085]would be helpful to posts some emails, addresses and Phone #'s where people could lodge their complaints.

I too would be interested in finding out who to send a complaint to specifically. I have been Platinum Premier for the last 4 years and have been Lifetime Platinum for the last 3. I just burned through 600,000 points and still have a 100,000 left. I have moved a lot of my business to both Hyatt (Diamond) and Starwood (currently Gold but will make Platinum by the end of March). I get treated better at Hyatt than Marriott.

I stay about 100 nights in hotels every year and used to stay exclusively in Marriott properties. I also spend about $50K every year on Marriott Credit Card and hold four events at Marriott properties where I spend about $15K per year with them. Marriott is going to lose all of this.

The big things for me are that Marriott got rid of all-inclusive option, got rid of the gift cheque option for members, and now the increase in points for more than a third of their properties. And, no breakfast on weekends or at resorts is just really bad business. I get this at Hyatt and soon will at Starwood. The biggest thing for me as that I want to be given what I have been promised and Marriott is inconsistent in doing this.

SkiAdcock Feb 13, 2013 10:59 am

And the churn goes on...

This. We've had some folk go to SPG & now they're coming back to Marriott.

For those who are truly unhappy, then certainly move to another chain. But no chain is perfect, and the other chains have upped categories and/or cut bennies too.

Cheers.

jerseyfinn Feb 13, 2013 11:04 am

Thanks guys! Every elite who quits Marriott equals a new UG opportunity for those of us who stick with MR to nail the UG. ^^

Barry

aero0729 Feb 13, 2013 11:21 am

Originally Posted by jerseyfinn (Post 20239887)
Thanks guys! Every elite who quits Marriott equals a new UG opportunity for those of us who stick with MR to nail the UG. ^^

Barry

Yeah right... stayed at Marriott Waterside in Tampa... offered me a suite for $99 up charge but would not upgrade me for free. We could all leave and leave any and all upgrades for you but you still will not get them! I did not buy the upgrade as I had to save for the $25 breakfast Marriott does not give their elites since it was a Saturday night. At Hilton I would have gotten that upgrade AND free breakfast.

Safti Feb 13, 2013 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20238085)
would be helpful to posts some emails, addresses and Phone #'s where people could lodge their complaints.

When I spoke to MR on the phone earlier this AM they were not surprised by my call nor disagreed with my arguements. She docuemented the days I cancelled with Marriott Earlier yesterday and verified them and took my complaint and said she would pass it on to her supervisor. She also said that I was not the first person to make the same complaint to her recently. She seem worn out from the topic and didn't try to defend the move.

Love how Marriott Concierge has been NOWHERE trying to make this smoother either.

PSST....they don't care their loyalty program motto has changed to "churn and burn"

Safti Feb 13, 2013 12:13 pm

Marriott Concierge??

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20238085)

In the past month I have emailed and PM'd Marriott Concierge 4 times. Ira, Andrew, Marie..... never received a reply. Where are you Marriott Concierge?

Horace Feb 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Boycott Marriott! Who is in!?

The word "boycott" suggests punishment or protest. It's about consciously withholding business, typically as part of an organized effort, to do damage in support of a larger issue.

In the case of switching hotel loyalty, it's not really a boycott. We're just voting with our wallets. I'm not happy with Marriott's recent devaluation of Marriott Rewards or with the lack of breakfast at many FS properties on weekends. Ultimately, however, for me, Marriott still provides a more compelling case for loyalty than other brands. For others, that may not be the case.

Ultimately, Marriott has to do what it can to get the highest yield from each property.

TallestHotelInJapan Feb 13, 2013 1:04 pm

*lack of upgrades

I would join you in your boycott if I only could. Luckily, I don't give Marriott hotels too much business, I am more happy with SPG :-)

JamboAddick Feb 13, 2013 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 20240473)
The word "boycott" suggests punishment or protest. It's about consciously withholding business, typically as part of an organized effort, to do damage in support of a larger issue.

In the case of switching hotel loyalty, it's not really a boycott. We're just voting with our wallets. I'm not happy with Marriott's recent devaluation of Marriott Rewards or with the lack of breakfast at many FS properties on weekends. Ultimately, however, for me, Marriott still provides a more compelling case for loyalty than other brands. For others, that may not be the case.

Ultimately, Marriott has to do what it can to get the highest yield from each property.

This is my feeling exactly. I was partial to SPG until about 5 years ago and gave them up when their properties went downhill (or at least the ones I used most often). Now I'm likely going to hit Platinum for the first time this year and have had nothing but excellent experiences at the places I've stayed at around the world. And at the end of the day, good service, great locations and decent prices trump a one category increase in redemptions. I'm staying put.