FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Breaking up with Marriott (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1415397-breaking-up-marriott.html)

SueDonJ Feb 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer (Post 20270180)
If someone will by my Marriott Timeshare, I will be done with them for good. I have not had a paid stay in Marriott for over two years, and do not see that changing anytime soon.

You might be familiar with it already but just in case you're not, come on over to the Marriott board at tugbbs.com (Timeshare Users Group) and we'll be glad to try to help you. :)

valor155 Feb 20, 2013 11:49 am

Originally Posted by sophiegirl (Post 20242765)
All true.

So I am starting to choose the hotel that is best for me on the specific trip - without worrying about points, bonuses, or a complicated mental evaluation of whether a free breakfast is worth more to us than suite upgrade!

One of the best hotel stays recently? OMNI. The program as a whole s*cks - but the great part is bennies start on the first stay. So free Internet, free clothes pressing, and yep....coffee delivered to the room as my wake up call. Tiny chain footprint...but there was one where I needed to be.

Early days yet, but so far? Amazingly freeing.

+1. I too am starting to take a more level-headed and reasonable approach.

Before, Marriott pretty much received all my hotel money except on rare occasions where Marriott was not a feasible choice. I'm now opening up my criteria to include SPG and Hyatt more. NOT because I think their programs are so much better, rather, I've had good stays there and being a top-tier MR has lost some value for me.

BTW, I agree with the OMNI post. Their program is not so good for frequent travelers, but you are dead on with the "starter bennies". My best hotel stay in the past 3 years was at the San Diego Omni. Loved everything about the hotel and the service.

travelexpert Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 20280265)
For all those saying they're moving to the HHonors program - they just announced devaluations that appear worse than Marriott's. Good luck.

No question--Hilton's devaluation is far worse than Marriott's.

I'm off to Hyatt either way. Getting a Diamond status match was accomplished pronto.

But I guess Marriott will be my back-up when Hyatt does not have a location where I need to be.

jr1202sr Feb 21, 2013 5:59 am

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ing+Aramean%29

Actually Hilton is worse and this proves it using hard Data.

BKKLEE Feb 21, 2013 6:06 am

apples and oranges comparison unless you have a Marriott & Hilton sitting next to each other and then compare the changes, if any, but trying to com pare whats going on at a Hampton Inn in Backwater, USA, to an increase at a Conrad/Hilton/JW in London isn't a "real" comparison (since several of these changes have been caused in part by the decreasing value in the US$).................

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20289362)
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...ing+Aramean%29

Actually Hilton is worse and this proves it using hard Data.

jr1202sr Feb 21, 2013 6:14 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 20289395)
apples and oranges comparison unless you have a Marriott & Hilton sitting next to each other and then compare the changes, if any, but trying to com pare whats going on at a Hampton Inn in Backwater, USA, to an increase at a Conrad/Hilton/JW in London isn't a "real" comparison (since several of these changes have been caused in part by the decreasing value in the US$).................

Funny if you read the comments on the bottom of the article everyone BUT YOU agree with the author. Looks like just another example of YOU using that Marriott Toothbrush. :rolleyes: This is a well known Travel Blogger who has NO reason to slant his findings. He used Math and hard data to reach his conclusions.

BKKLEE Feb 21, 2013 6:23 am

and there are similar blogs that reason completely different, but then again it takes someone with an open mind to understand logic..............
as to math, MR's raises the Cat bar by 1 while HH raises the Cat by 3............so in your mind and that of the blogger you're so in love with 1=3.....With that type of math Obama should hire you to balance the budget!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20289424)
Funny if you read the comments on the bottom of the article everyone BUT YOU agree with the author. Looks like just another example of YOU using that Marriott Toothbrush. :rolleyes: This is a well known Travel Blogger who has NO reason to slant his findings. He used Math and hard data to reach his conclusions.

jr1202sr Feb 21, 2013 6:27 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 20289458)
and there are similar blogs that reason completely different, but then again it takes someone with an open mind to understand logic..............
as to math, MR's raises the Cat bar by 1 while HH raises the Cat by 3............so in your mind and that of the blogger you're so in love with 1=3.....With that type of math Obama should hire you to balance the budget!!!!!!!!

So you are right and everyone else is wrong? Show me these "other blogs". Fact is you can't as nobody has written what you are claiming and this is as objective as it come (look at the comment section of the article and the high praise for his work). You just don't like the facts.

BKKLEE Feb 21, 2013 6:41 am

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...honors-points/
http://www.scoop.it/t/customer-loyal...estroy-loyalty
http://thepointsguy.com/2013/02/the-...luation-story/
http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthr...valuation.html

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 20289468)
So you are right and everyone else is wrong? Show me these "other blogs". Fact is you can't as nobody has written what you are claiming and this is as objective as it come (look at the comment section of the article and the high praise for his work). You just don't like the facts.

jr1202sr Feb 21, 2013 6:48 am

can you show me where they say Hilton was worse than Marriott? Don't see it like you claimed.

Global_Hi_Flyer Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 20256069)
There comes a point where it no longer pays.

This.

Some of the airline programs are already close to that point for me. Delta comes to mind (I'm LT gold - er, complimentary annual gold status - and the incremental benefits to Platinum aren't worth the extra money it costs to fly DL). I'm very close to MR's lifetime gold, too.

Used to be that I'd pick the hotels based on location and uniqueness within a price range - often high-end B&B or boutique hotels (or somewhat independent chains in Europe). Then I ended up in a corporate job where we are limited in hotel choice.... maximizing the rewards program became important. But devalue it enough, and it's not worth it. Pick the property (not chain) that you like and book it.

From the hotel chain perspective, just like airlines, when the occupancy rate gets high enough the need for rewards programs diminishes (and giving away "free" rewards rooms cuts into actual profits). In October, Marriott reported much higher occupancy rates (approaching a peak), leading to a 7% rise in rate per available room. If you increase cash prices, it only follows that reward prices will also go up.

Beano HK Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am

Personally, I like Marriott Hotels and the MR scheme works for me. What is most important for me on my travels is a good nights sleep, and I consistently get this as I know what I will be getting when I book Marriott.

The MR scheme is a nice little side benefit, I am surprised how quickly the points add up, and I like how you can reserve a hotel even if you dont have enough points at the time.

I have been upgraded many times, and I always value this, although dont expect it, and it just works for me. Having used the same ones over a period of time, I know them, and they know me.

Yes, the points changes are not necessarily good news for redemptions, however, I take the view that they are for nothing in the first place. Every scheme has tweaks made to it periodically.

smorris76 Feb 21, 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by aero0729 (Post 20240007)
Yeah right... stayed at Marriott Waterside in Tampa... offered me a suite for $99 up charge but would not upgrade me for free. We could all leave and leave any and all upgrades for you but you still will not get them! I did not buy the upgrade as I had to save for the $25 breakfast Marriott does not give their elites since it was a Saturday night. At Hilton I would have gotten that upgrade AND free breakfast.

You'll get your breakfast (although it may be a cold continental), but in a year+ of HH Diamond I got 1 upgrade.

FullTimeFlyer Feb 21, 2013 10:26 am

From the OP:

Boycott Marriott! Who is in!?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a long time Marriott big spender (200K per year in meetings) I have decided to switch to SPG and Hilton. I think Marriott's program is one of the worst programs and nothing is getting better.

Obviously should have waited that week for the even larger Hilton devaluation (I am top in both so that's how it looks to me anyway).

I am hoping at least SPG stays clean.

The thing that will cut my Marriott use as many others have commented is that there won't be any point for 1-4 certs. It's not like you could use them for destination city hotels, but I counted on those for simple, efficient stays in transit on road vacations and that kind of stuff.

FTF

iflyjetz Feb 22, 2013 12:04 am

I went through this process - switching hotel programs - a while ago. I am approaching LT Plat so I wanted to see what other hotel chains offered. Here's the thread I started to walk through the process; it's still applicable: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...endations.html

I have been flying for an airline along with paying out of pocket for hotels ~5 nights/month. The airline nights don't count toward anything for any program but Hyatt, Marriott, and Starwood recognize my status. Hilton is hit and miss.
My current status: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat. I don't deserve the Marriott or Hilton status; will lose them this year. I will split my stays to try to keep both Hyatt Diamond and Starwood Plat. I have enough stays/pts with Marriott for LT Gold; 100K short of LT plat.

I switched from SPG to Marriott in 2005 (had been a fairly inactive member since 2002) based on my stay patterns while working for the government. At that time, they had bonus bucks/premium pounds which were huge savings for me when I stayed on my own dime. I've noticed the program get watered down over time which has been disappointing but I haven't seen too much of a devaluation of the lounges other than more lounges closed on weekends. Marriotts almost always have hot breakfast in their lounges; I don't see that as much at Hyatts, Hiltons, or SPGs. However, I prefer the Hyatt lounges over any other lounge. My impression is that they have higher quality food to offer and aren't as crowded as Hilton and Marriott lounges.

Cost-wise (since quite a few of my stays are on my dime), I find very little difference between the hotel chains. Even between full service and discount properties, I can usually find comparable prices.

Keep in mind that everyone will have a different ranking of the most important things you want from a hotel chain. For me, I rank the hotel chains as follows:
1) Hyatt
2) Marriott
3) Starwood (except Westin, which I'll put above any Marriott)
4) Hilton
5) IHG
However, when spending my own dime, my priority is
1) Hyatt,
2) Starwood (LT gold, gunning for LT Plat),
3) Marriott (enough for LT Gold, need more pts for LT Plat)

If you decide to go with a smaller hotel chain - Hyatt, Starwood, Omni, Fairmont, etc - you absolutely must have a large chain as your backup plan.
So pick Marriott, Hilton, or IHG as your secondary program.

Take your time and make an educated decision on which hotel chain you want to make your primary. If a large footprint is essential, you have to go with Marriott, Hilton or IHG.

If you're close to LT Gold/Plat status, you might want to hang in there a bit longer so that you can always use Marriott as your backup and still get elite benefits. Slogging out 1000 nights/2M points is a lot of work. (I only had 23 stays last year, including credit card/promo nights and I was still given plat so I haven't fallen to LT gold yet).

I realize that all hotel chains are watering down their programs a bit now that the rooms are getting filled and REVPAR is rising. However, I really noticed a deterioration in elite benefits after Arne Sorenson took over as CEO. Perhaps it was coincidental but it just seemed like they started viewing the elite program as a cost center rather than their most loyal customers.

bldr1k Feb 22, 2013 6:58 am

I find it hard to believe executives from Hilton and Marriott are not discussing these changes together. Sounds like an anti-trust violation to me. Of course they will argue this isn't about price fixing...but it really is and I suspect the courts will agree.

USirritated Feb 22, 2013 7:46 am

Originally Posted by bldr1k (Post 20296301)
I find it hard to believe executives from Hilton and Marriott are not discussing these changes together. Sounds like an anti-trust violation to me. Of course they will argue this isn't about price fixing...but it really is and I suspect the courts will agree.

MAYBE so, but a very complicated issue. However, for the courts to ever decide that what has happened between the Marriott and Hilton changes is some sort of collusion which rises to an anti-trust or price fixing violation, someone will have to bring suit in the first place. Were you planning on being the person who initiates a suit against two major multinational corporations bldr1k, or did you have someone else in mind to bring that suit, such as one of the state Attorney's General?

socrates Feb 22, 2013 8:24 am

I can tell you regardless of the industry loyalty program changes are highly secretive until announced

NJUPINTHEAIR Feb 22, 2013 8:27 am

Doubtfull they are colluding to set reward pricing. :rolleyes:

May or not be an anti-trust violation given the scope of their ranges, not the least of which is that we are not talking about setting prices, but rather reward opportunities. One can certainly argue that the A/T laws cover such situation, but one could also argue they do not.

Nevertheless, you think that Marriott and Hilton execs got together on this.

Oh wait, of course you do, as you already have stated your acceptance of your premise in your post. :rolleyes:

Redline325 Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm

Based on the recent devaluation, making CAT 4 certs useless to me, I see no point in attempting to hit the Spring MegaBonus milestones. I have 5 hotel nights coming up between 2/25 and 3/11. I've decided to book those 5 nights with Starwood to test the waters. This directly results in Marriott losing $900 (plus food & beverage) in revenue from me over the next two weeks. Not sure I'm leaving for good, but I've been pushed to give Starwood and Hyatt a test run.

RobertS975 Feb 22, 2013 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 20235625)
THXs:
less competition for upgrades......
less redemptions thereby not causing further Cat increases.......
more room in respective Exec Lounges........

You are in Asia. It is different here in the US. Those executive lounges are closed Fri nite thru Sun nite. And what upgrades?

TommyC80 Feb 22, 2013 5:16 pm

out...I've been very happy with Marriott.

DYKWIA Feb 23, 2013 3:33 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975 (Post 20299784)
You are in Asia. It is different here in the US. Those executive lounges are closed Fri nite thru Sun nite. And what upgrades?

I always get upgraded when in the US... not to a suite, but that's not a promise.

Megahertz456 Feb 23, 2013 4:38 am

Hyatt - Marriott

Hi - I'm in the UK, and have to say I'm very happy with the service I get here. I never expect an upgrade, and it's nice when it (almost always) happens! I'm a big spender with Marriott and Hilton, am Plat Prem and Diamond. Have over 1000 stays with Marriott, but apparently not enough points yet for lifetime.

I wanted to pick up on a comment above - how likely is it that I would get a status match at another chain - eg Hyatt? There aren't many Hyatt properties in the UK, but there are definitely a few I would like to use. I always end up in a Hilton or a Marriott because I don't have status with Hyatt - if they would match the status I would stay there all the time - don't want to 'start from the bottom again!'

Have other users had experience of chains matching status from one program to another? And does it only work in hotels? Could I, for example persuade Virgin to move me up a tier or two in Flying Club with my Diamond and Platinum cards? (that might be pushing my luck, but it's worth asking!)

USirritated Feb 23, 2013 5:15 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 20301647)
I always get upgraded when in the US... not to a suite, but that's not a promise.

NO upgrade is a promise, it is always based on availability. Other than a suite, what do you consider an upgrade that you get "always?"

USirritated Feb 23, 2013 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Megahertz456 (Post 20301772)
Hi - I'm in the UK, and have to say I'm very happy with the service I get here. I never expect an upgrade, and it's nice when it (almost always) happens! I'm a big spender with Marriott and Hilton, am Plat Prem and Diamond. Have over 1000 stays with Marriott, but apparently not enough points yet for lifetime.

I wanted to pick up on a comment above - how likely is it that I would get a status match at another chain - eg Hyatt? There aren't many Hyatt properties in the UK, but there are definitely a few I would like to use. I always end up in a Hilton or a Marriott because I don't have status with Hyatt - if they would match the status I would stay there all the time - don't want to 'start from the bottom again!'

Have other users had experience of chains matching status from one program to another? And does it only work in hotels? Could I, for example persuade Virgin to move me up a tier or two in Flying Club with my Diamond and Platinum cards? (that might be pushing my luck, but it's worth asking!)

I have matched status to SPG, but then in my very first stay with SPG, they screwed up the stay bad enough to offer me, without asking, to comp my room charge for my one night stay, and I have not been back since. However, AFAIK, Hyatt offers status matches, but to make sure check out the Hyatt forum, rather than asking in the Marriott forum.

As for status matching with the airlines, several airlines offer status matching, but do not all do it in the same way. For example, when I status matched from US in 2008, where I was a Platinum (3rd of 4 tiers), DL had (and I think still has) a policy where they status match to Gold maximum (2nd of 3 tiers then, but 4 tiers now). So I could have been a Chairman with US (4th of 4 tiers), and DL would still have only status matched me to Gold. I believe that of the other major airlines in the US, AA will match higher (check in the AA forum), and that CO used to match to higher statuses than Gold, before the merger, but I am not sure whether the combined UA/CO is doing after the merger (best to check in the UA forum for that).

iflyjetz Feb 23, 2013 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Megahertz456 (Post 20301772)

Hyatt does a Diamond trial. 12 nights in 60 days. Don't ask for it until you're ready to start; they usually grant you the challenge immediately. http://upgrd.com/mike/hyatt-gold-pas...challenge.html

You get 4 suite upgrade certs immediately. Since Hyatts are a bit more sparse in the UK/Europe, I'd make a plan before asking for the challenge. For the UK, there are only 3 properties; 1 in Birmingham and 2 in London.

Overall, Starwood may be your better choice. They've got some really nice properties in Europe. That's not to say that Hyatts aren't nice, it's just that there aren't enough of them.

I didn't find anything recent on Starwood status match, but maybe this will help: http://loyaltylobby.com/2012/03/24/s...num-challenge/

mickeypops Feb 24, 2013 6:09 am

Boycott Marriott?? Not me!

Having reached and maintained Plat status for many years, why would I want to go elsewhere and forego the Plat benefits I regulary receive?

- room upgrade
- access to lounges
- free breakfast
- free WiFi
- extra MRW points
- arrival gift or the free points
- That little touch of recognition ("Welcome back MR MPops!")

Isn't this why we strive to acheve the status? Why earn it, and then stay elsewhere?

With regards to the pros and cons of the different hotel rewards programs - well, I'm saving my points for when I retire, so I'll just take what I can with what I've saved up. Not to mention the benefits for ever (as above) from the Lifetime status I'm earning (Gold already, Plat by year-end.)

Boycott? I'd have to be mad!

DYKWIA Feb 24, 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 20301843)
NO upgrade is a promise, it is always based on availability. Other than a suite, what do you consider an upgrade that you get "always?"

Exec. room usually. Bigger room quite often. Suites occasionally :)

SomeGuy Feb 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Marriott Rewards-Devalued
Hilton H Honors-Devalued
Holiday Inn Points-Devalued
Omni Select Guest-Devalued
Wyndham Rewards-Devalued
Starwood-Not in smaller areas
Hyatt-Not in smaller areas

There's always something to complain about. Find what works, and make the best of it.

sunnyjl Feb 27, 2013 9:23 pm

Already made the switch to HH and reached diamond this week on a status match challenge. Using the last of my MR next month and getting rid of my MR cc's shortly. Very happy at Hilton thus far...been staying at Hilton properties exclusively since October. Locations are better, perks are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and the overall treatment I receive is MUCH better. Even the food service menus are better than Marriott's. They have a lot of resorts in areas where Marriott does not which is a major + to me.

kcaluwae Feb 28, 2013 1:13 am

Originally Posted by sunnyjl (Post 20330825)
Already made the switch to HH and reached diamond this week on a status match challenge. Using the last of my MR next month and getting rid of my MR cc's shortly. Very happy at Hilton thus far...been staying at Hilton properties exclusively since October. Locations are better, perks are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and the overall treatment I receive is MUCH better. Even the food service menus are better than Marriott's. They have a lot of resorts in areas where Marriott does not which is a major + to me.

Is it because your new to HHonors that the recent devaluation doesn't bother you?

USirritated Feb 28, 2013 4:40 am

Originally Posted by sunnyjl (Post 20330825)

Properties are nicer, really? I will give just one comparison example (and I know of others), check out Hilton Hawaiian Village vs. JW Marriott Ihilani at Ko Olina. Once you have been to those two hotels/resorts, you will never think that Hilton is nicer again!

Maybe you think that locations are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and overall treatment received is much better, because it is A) a shiny new penny you have found; or B) it is necessary for Hilton to be better in your mind, to justify your change from Marriott to Hilton (FWIW, this is a proven psychological phenomenon).

SkiAdcock Feb 28, 2013 6:46 am

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 20331915)

Maybe you think that locations are better, properties are nicer, prices are better, and overall treatment received is much better, because it is A) a shiny new penny you have found; or B) it is necessary for Hilton to be better in your mind, to justify your change from Marriott to Hilton

Or maybe at the properties he's been staying at, the Hiltons are better than Marriotts in the area. And note that in addition to the other reasons he listed that he's happy w/ Hilton, one is that they have resorts in areas Marriott does not, which is important to him.

Marriott is not superior everywhere, just as Hilton is not. If someone is happy w/ Hilton after switching from Marriott, then Hilton is probably the better program for them.

There is no right or wrong program, just one (or more than one) that meets someone's needs/goals, whatever they might be.

Re: the B, that could be reversed back at you ;)

Cheers.