Compensation for no hot water?

Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Compensation for no hot water?

Recently stayed at a Courtyard and awoke to find that the shower was ice cold. I was in a rush so made it quick, went down to check out and was notified then that the whole hotel was lacking hot water.

As I had a flight to catch I did not have much time to debate the value of hot water, but they did throw me a $20 credit on the way out the door.

Should I ask for more? Seems hot water is one of the core tenants of a rented room.

Forgot to mention it was about 28 degrees F outside, so not the start to the morning I was looking for.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
One of my colleagues had this event happen on three stays at the same property within a month - no hot water when he intended to shower. For the first occurence the hotel comped the night affected and on the next instances the whole stay. So in your case a comp of that night would have been in order.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Nov 15, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Had this happen to me two mornings in a row at a Courtyard once; probably six months ago or so. I got nothing as compensation, but did check out early. Was promised a call from the GM but heard only crickets.

Once, I can understand. Stuff happens. Two nights in a row, I'm gone. Haven't been back there either.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by illinidad
Had this happen to me two mornings in a row at a Courtyard once; probably six months ago or so. I got nothing as compensation, but did check out early. Was promised a call from the GM but heard only crickets.

Once, I can understand. Stuff happens. Two nights in a row, I'm gone. Haven't been back there either.
Which particular Courtyard?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack

Forgot to mention it was about 28 degrees F outside, so not the start to the morning I was looking for.
I'll bet you were wide awake for he flight, though.

$20 sounds reasonable, and you have a mildly amusing story to tell, too.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
I got 7,500 points for no hot water

This happened to me recently at a RI on a Monday morning. I complained to the guy working the front desk and he said he would look into it but didn't offer anything.

Then I received the property survey and put a comment in there. The AGM for the property the 7,500 points in my account.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Yeah, was very awake. Dont want to mention the property specifically as I know they were working hard to fix the issue (but it was in Norther Michigan).

I'll just take the $20, no time to make calls to push for more.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This just happened to me this morning at the CY in Tyler, TX. The day before the water was very lukewarm. I got an email for 1500 points. Better than nothing, but should I ask for more?
Old Feb 6, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Did you tell them the day before when the water was only lukewarm? If they knew about the problem, and it got worse, I'd say they were being stingy with the points.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico
This just happened to me this morning at the CY in Tyler, TX. The day before the water was very lukewarm. I got an email for 1500 points. Better than nothing, but should I ask for more?
Depends on your room rate, and how much you value the rough equivalent of about 10-15 bucks or so.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: US Airways - Chairman, Delta - Platinum, Marriott - Platinum, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Platinum
Recently had an incident at a Marriott where I had no water at all due to planned maintenance but they forgot to inform me when I checked in. I was able to get 10,000 points out of it. I think if you talk to the manager youll get offered some points.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Wasn't the pool heated?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 12:33 pm

One meeeeeeelion dollars!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 9:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
This happened to me 2 years ago at a CY in the ATL area. I let the shower run for about 5 minutes thinking it was eventually going to warm up...nothing. Called the front desk and they confirmed they were having an issue with hot water in almost all of the hotel. I had a plane to catch so I said screw it and took a very fast, very cold shower that I still remember every second of to this day. I didn't really think anything else about it.

I checked out and was credited the entire night on a two night stay which I thought was awesome of them.
Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold
I can't imagine why anyone would except less then a full refund or pay to transfer me to a Hotel that delivers what is being paid for.

They don't get to not give you no water or even Hot Water. It's part of the deal. You are not just paying for a bed.. You are paying for everything that is offered on their website.

I might take 10,000 for no internet but no hot water or no water at all. I would pay ZERO for that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.