FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

jr1202sr Aug 29, 2013 7:28 am

some what off topic, but did anyone see the fuel charge stunt AA pulled yesterday? :td:

BKKLEE Aug 29, 2013 7:49 am

not somewhat off topic..........completely off topic............belongs in AA forum..........
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/08/28/a...-beyond-ba-ib/

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 21356179)
some what off topic, but did anyone see the fuel charge stunt AA pulled yesterday? :td:

jr1202sr Aug 29, 2013 7:56 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 21356286)
not somewhat off topic..........completely off topic............belongs in AA forum..........
http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/08/28/a...-beyond-ba-ib/

except if you want point out how Marriott handled their devaluation vs others. What Marriott did earlier this year was actually one of the Nicer things they have done in a long time to their elites (who tend to have the most lose in a devaluation). Also not irrelevant if you just switched your Marriott points to AA and got caught by this.

BKKLEE Aug 29, 2013 8:32 am

I see absolutely no relevancy between MRs devaluation to AAs announcement on certain award fuel surcharges...........

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 21356324)
except if you want point out how Marriott handled their devaluation vs others. What Marriott did earlier this year was actually one of the Nicer things they have done in a long time to their elites (who tend to have the most lose in a devaluation). Also not irrelevant if you just switched your Marriott points to AA and got caught by this.

BostonFlyer1624 Aug 29, 2013 9:41 am

Originally Posted by jr1202sr (Post 21356324)

How did Marriott handle their devaluation in a way that was, 1. nice, or 2. different than any other chain?

jr1202sr Aug 29, 2013 10:28 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 21356995)
How did Marriott handle their devaluation in a way that was, 1. nice, or 2. different than any other chain?

The amount of notice given. Marriott gave months of notice and allowed you to book reservations even if you didn't have the points at the time.

At AA or Delta and some other hotel chains the notice was none or very limited. There is a reason they call them Skypesos now. :rolleyes:

mbece Sep 1, 2013 3:30 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus (Post 16451006)
I have been told that travel packages can be upgraded by adding points. Here's an example: let's say you need some airline miles for an airline award but don't yet need the hotel portion of the travel package. So you take a Cat 5 travel package with 100K airline miles, use the miles, but then "bank" the hotel portion of the travel package in your MR account. Later, however, you might realize that you want to use that banked hotel stay at a category 6 hotel. Marriott reps have told me that you can pay the difference in points between a Cat 5 and a Cat 6 travel package in order to upgrade the hotel stay to the higher category.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has more recent experience with the above statement. I'd rather post here than start a new one. Does have anyone successfully redeemed a Cat 5 package, then converted it to a higher Category? I have enough points to get a Cat 5 package with the max of miles -which I need, so I can book flights before availability runs out- but I'm planning a stay at a Cat 9 hotel (hopefully, I'll have the 110k extra points by mid October).

BKKLEE Sep 1, 2013 3:41 am

actually your post belongs in this thread
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html
as the one you posted in is NOT related to your question.........
IMO if MRs still allows "paying" an increase in points to increase the 7-night portion of a TP it's previously been limited to 1-catagory, not 4 as you propose to do, but for a CORRECT answer to your question, best just to call MRs and ask them................

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 21370948)
Sorry to revive this old thread, but I am wondering if anyone has more recent experience with the above statement. I'd rather post here than start a new one. Does have anyone successfully redeemed a Cat 5 package, then converted it to a higher Category? I have enough points to get a Cat 5 package with the max of miles -which I need, so I can book flights before availability runs out- but I'm planning a stay at a Cat 9 hotel (hopefully, I'll have the 110k extra points by mid October).

mbece Sep 1, 2013 5:50 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 21370966)
actually your post belongs in this thread
as the one you posted in is NOT related to your question.........
IMO if MRs still allows "paying" an increase in points to increase the 7-night portion of a TP it's previously been limited to 1-catagory, not 4 as you propose to do, but for a CORRECT answer to your question, best just to call MRs and ask them................

Thanks for moving it to the correct forum. Apologies.

Mr. Vker Sep 1, 2013 6:01 am

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 21370948)

I have paid the difference in points to upgrade from a category 6 to a category 8 travel package.

mbece Sep 3, 2013 10:23 am

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 21371192)
I have paid the difference in points to upgrade from a category 6 to a category 8 travel package.

Thank you! I just called today and confirmed it is possible to do this. I wanted to buy a Cat 6 package then pay the 90k point difference to upgrade to a Cat 9 and they said it's doable.

I'm a little bummed though. I couldn't do it yet -I'm 2.5k points short! I'll have to wait until next week...

gv111 Sep 3, 2013 10:26 am

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 21381983)
Thank you! I just called today and confirmed it is possible to do this. I wanted to buy a Cat 6 package then pay the 90k point difference to upgrade to a Cat 9 and they said it's doable.

I'm a little bummed though. I couldn't do it yet -I'm 2.5k points short! I'll have to wait until next week...

If u are in hurry, you can buy 3 K points directly from Marriott.

mbece Sep 3, 2013 10:33 am

Thanks for the suggestion, gv111. I'm going to wait on it. My stay this week will give me the points I need. Also, I'll probably end up buying some UA miles to top the miles I get with the package and I'm trying to keep the spend to a minimum in this redemption.

welookgood.com Sep 30, 2013 2:26 am

Marriott -7 night awards?

For an upcoming trip I have a choice of 5 nite or 7 nite award. With the 7 night award I believe you can do 100k pts to 100k United miles.. Just seeing if others believe the 7 night award for the mile conversion is the better way to go? I am indifferent on how many nights to stay

5 night award would be 40k pts a night (booked before cat increase)
7 nights award +132k pt would be 420 pts a night (if you assume 40k for each night, then 280k pts for room AND 140k Marriott for 132k United.

BKKLEE Sep 30, 2013 2:42 am

the pros/cons of TPs over 5-night awards has been discussed before -

personally, I opt for the TP as my flights out of BKK are very limited on UA flights (only to NRT) and none to AU/NZ and/or EU........

Originally Posted by welookgood.com (Post 21527593)
For an upcoming trip I have a choice of 5 nite or 7 nite award. With the 7 night award I believe you can do 100k pts to 100k United miles.. Just seeing if others believe the 7 night award for the mile conversion is the better way to go? I am indifferent on how many nights to stay

5 night award would be 40k pts a night (booked before cat increase)
7 nights award +132k pt would be 420 pts a night (if you assume 40k for each night, then 280k pts for room AND 140k Marriott for 132k United.

tracon Nov 16, 2013 5:50 am

I know lots here think travel packages are one of the best redemption options.

In the example below that may not be the case.

Cash in 200,000(category 1-5) points for 7 nights & 50,000 aeroplan points....
that means 7 nights = 150,000 points. Therefore no discount on what it would normally cost to redeem 7 nights.
At the moment aeroplan has bonuses of up to 25% when transfering points from Marriott. 50,000 Marriott converts to 60,000 aeroplan.
Hertz has 0 value to me. I will get a better rate elsewhere or not need a vehicle.
Anything I'm missing?

TrojanHorse Nov 16, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 21794740)
I know lots here think travel packages are one of the best redemption options.

In the example below that may not be the case.

Cash in 200,000(category 1-5) points for 7 nights & 50,000 aeroplan points....
that means 7 nights = 150,000 points. Therefore no discount on what it would normally cost to redeem 7 nights.
At the moment aeroplan has bonuses of up to 25% when transfering points from Marriott. 50,000 Marriott converts to 60,000 aeroplan.
Hertz has 0 value to me. I will get a better rate elsewhere or not need a vehicle.
Anything I'm missing?

Just piling on the Hertz cert, I find that useless as well.. absolutely certifiably useless

HMPS Nov 16, 2013 6:57 am

These travel packages only makesenseif there are bonus miles involved such as a 100 % bonus for unto 60000 miles ( Marriott to US Air ).

Time to bring it back !

Mr. Vker Nov 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by HMPS (Post 21794924)
These travel packages only makesenseif there are bonus miles involved such as a 100 % bonus for unto 60000 miles ( Marriott to US Air ).

Time to bring it back !

I doubt it will be brought back. Happened every spring for the last 3+ years. But DM is ending with the merge. Likely around January according to the US Airways forum. Everyone will be converting to AAdvantage.

I do see great value in the travel packages. 1:1 MR points for airline miles plus the hotel stay.

hhoope01 Nov 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by tracon (Post 21794740)
At the moment aeroplan has bonuses of up to 25% when transfering points from Marriott. 50,000 Marriott converts to 60,000 aeroplan. ... Anything I'm missing?

I guess I'm missing something here.

I think your point is that with a TP award you are "essentially" converting 50K points into 60K miles. Correct? If so, note that a straight transfer of points to miles would normally require 140K MR points to get 50K miles (or 60K with the bonus.) So the TP award provides a fairly nice savings considering you are getting both the hotel award and the miles.

Also, you picked the lowest miles option for a TP award. The big benefit of this award is getting the airline miles at a 1-to-1 points-to-miles ratio. Thus the biggest benefit would be seen when converting 270K points into 120K miles (145K with the 25K bonus.)

If you tried to do a straight points to miles convertion, it would take about 350K MR points to get that same 120K miles. And don't forget that a straight convertion does NOT includes any hotel award certs. So the top end TP award saves 80K points PLUS throws in a nice 7 night hotel award.

BKKLEE Nov 16, 2013 9:47 pm

how dare you bring logic and facts to a FT argument :D:D

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 21798002)

I think your point is that with a TP award you are "essentially" converting 50K points into 60K miles. Correct? If so, note that a straight transfer of points to miles would normally require 140K MR points to get 50K miles (or 60K with the bonus.) So the TP award provides a fairly nice savings considering you are getting both the hotel award and the miles.

Also, you picked the lowest miles option for a TP award. The big benefit of this award is getting the airline miles at a 1-to-1 points-to-miles ratio. Thus the biggest benefit would be seen when converting 270K points into 120K miles (145K with the 25K bonus.)

If you tried to do a straight points to miles convertion, it would take about 350K MR points to get that same 120K miles. And don't forget that a straight convertion does NOT includes any hotel award certs. So the top end TP award saves 80K points PLUS throws in a nice 7 night hotel award.

HMPS Nov 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 21798002)

I think your point is that with a TP award you are "essentially" converting 50K points into 60K miles. Correct? If so, note that
<snipped>
saves 80K points PLUS throws in a nice 7 night hotel award.

+1
Never seen a 1:1 MR (Marriott) to airline mile conversion.

Please PM me if there ever is such a conversion. I will be able to do a RTW in F.Handsome gift for you in that.

Mr. Vker Nov 17, 2013 8:05 am

deleted--repeated someone else's post

johnep1 Dec 9, 2013 1:20 pm

Is it possible to transfer the already booked nights portion of a travel package?

All -

I booked a travel package last April for travel in April 2014. Is it possible to transfer the hotel portion of the package to someone else?

Thank you.

BKKLEE Dec 9, 2013 1:27 pm

unless you're seeking speculative answers, IMO the way to get the correct answer to this question is to ask MR as what others did, or did not, do previously does not necesarily mean it can still be done today...........it ONLY takes a phone call...........less time then posting this question here...

BTW, from previous posts, the hotel portion of the pkg has been known to be extendable for an additional year (at least one poster says done twice - ie. 2 yrs)......., but then again, this takes the effort of using the phone......

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 21933516)
All -

I booked a travel package last April for travel in April 2014. Is it possible to transfer the hotel portion of the package to someone else?

Thank you.

johnep1 Dec 9, 2013 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by BKKLEE (Post 21933579)
unless you're seeking speculative answers, IMO the way to get the correct answer to this question is to ask MR as what others did, or did not, do previously does not necesarily mean it can still be done today...........it ONLY takes a phone call...........less time then posting this question here...

BTW, from previous posts, the hotel portion of the pkg has been known to be extendable for an additional year (at least one poster says done twice - ie. 2 yrs)......., but then again, this takes the effort of using the phone......

Thank you for the reply. I am used to USAir, where phone agents don't always have the right information, so I try to find the answer before I call.

BKKLEE Dec 9, 2013 1:46 pm

must be several MR reps that took lessons over at USAir (or have they renamed the airline to AA yet?) as they don't always give you the correct info either, however if you ask for an extension (for another year) you'll see the update in your Marriott.com window as the expiration date will then show 4/2015 vrs 4/2014.......

Originally Posted by johnep1 (Post 21933622)
Thank you for the reply. I am used to USAir, where phone agents don't always have the right information, so I try to find the answer before I call.

zakami Dec 29, 2013 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by tomsam (Post 20997989)
I only recently discovered that I could make a reservation for someone else using my points.
Yesterday I did this as part of a travel package - booked a 7-night cat 4 reservation for my wife + got 120000 United mileageplus miles in MY account for 270,000 MR points ^

Can I make a reservation for someone else with the miles also going into their account?

gv111 Dec 30, 2013 9:29 am

Originally Posted by zakami (Post 22048339)
Can I make a reservation for someone else with the miles also going into their account?

Probably not. A possible way of doing this is to transfer Marriott points into other person's (B) Marriott account and then redeem the package from B's Marriott account.

TravelersWife Dec 31, 2013 11:40 am

Originally Posted by zakami (Post 22048339)

I would call and ask on this. A couple years ago, we offered my parents a travel package - (gasp, they turned it down). I called before making the offer and Marriott Rewards said we could do that. Mr. TravelersWife has been plat. premier for several years and is lifetime plat. so I don't know if that helped - but I thought the answer sounded like it was no big deal, as long as the other party is getting the whole package.

rthib Feb 24, 2014 9:51 am

AA 25% Bonus, not good for travel package

Got email that AA is giving 25% on hotel conversions.

T&C exclude hotel and air packages.

Conversions for hotel and air packages from eligible AAdvantage hotel participants are excluded from this offer.
Details at:
http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetai...&_locale=en_US

travelsg Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm

That's a decent offer. Wish AS is offering this as well... ;)

gv111 Feb 24, 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by travelsg (Post 22409285)
That's a decent offer. Wish AS is offering this as well... ;)

AFAIK, AS has not offered such a bonus in last 3-4 years. So it is unlikely to offer it in future.

Volvic Feb 25, 2014 3:43 am

Math 20% discount= 25% bonus

With this 25% AA conversion bonus, MR points are providing the same exchange ratio of United Plus.

AA
70K MR points -> 25K AA miles + 25% , i.e grand total 31,25K (2.24 point per mile) (70/31,25)

UA
56K MR points -> 25K UA miles , also here 2.24 points per mile (56/25)

Flapster Mar 3, 2014 4:49 am

Marriott Travel Packages - Help

Hi

I'm a relatively long-time hoarder of points, and am now looking to redeem some of them for travel packages, as I understand that's the best value for points.

When I go onto the travel packages part of the site, and click 'view', it doesn't let me select anything - the first step is 'select quantity' but I can't do that.

Can anyone help / point me to where I'm going wrong?

Also, my search of this forum didn't reveal anything - is there a decent FAQ thread?

TIA

aaupgrade Mar 3, 2014 6:03 am

From the Travel Package web page:

Please call 1-800-321-7396 to order any of the travel packages below.

johnaalex Mar 3, 2014 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Flapster (Post 22451669)
Hi

I'm a relatively long-time hoarder of points, and am now looking to redeem some of them for travel packages, as I understand that's the best value for points.

When I go onto the travel packages part of the site, and click 'view', it doesn't let me select anything - the first step is 'select quantity' but I can't do that.

Can anyone help / point me to where I'm going wrong?

Also, my search of this forum didn't reveal anything - is there a decent FAQ thread?

TIA

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 22451861)
From the Travel Package web page:

Please call 1-800-321-7396 to order any of the travel packages below.

Hi Flapster, I have always had to do these by phone, but to the UK number 020 7012 7312 ;):D

Flapster Mar 3, 2014 1:06 pm

Ok, silly me.

Thanks guys.

Flapster Mar 3, 2014 1:11 pm

So, a follow-on question:

It seems to be the generally accepted wisdom on these boards that these travel packages are the best use of points.

So, is it essentially booking one of these, you receive a voucher for the category of hotel and the air miles / avios stated - you then have to try to find an award flight with those air miles?

I've only tried to book a reward flight once, and found it extremely difficult - either stupidly high taxes, or no availability...

Have I got it right?

aaupgrade Mar 3, 2014 1:30 pm

The airline miles get deposited into the FF program of your choice. You are not required to use the FF miles when redeeming the TP.

You do need to make an hotel award reservation when you redeem the the TP for a hotel of the same category as the TP hotel award certificate. You can change dates on your hotel reservation, cancel the hotel reservation and the electronic TP 7-night hotel certificate will go into your Marriott Rewards account (look under activity for unused certificates) and/or book a different hotel at any time. Most all of those will require calling Marriott Rewards CSR. You can even upgrade your TP hotel certificate with the applicable additional points and apply it to a higher category hotel; just call Marriott Rewards CSR to do so.

Your TP Hotel certificate is good for 1 year from date of issue, so if it goes into your unused certificates, don't forget about it. You can call in and get the certificate's expiration extended, but keep in mind that it will be extended for one year from the date you request the extension.

You can also turn the TP hotel certificate in, and get points back, but for a Cat 5 TP hotel certificate you only get 10,000 points back - not a good move by any calculation as a regular 7 night cat 5 hotel cert goes for 150,000.