FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1403715-marriott-travel-packages.html)

hhoope01 May 25, 2010 7:44 am

Originally Posted by psurgby (Post 14018733)
Is there a cost to transfer the points?

No "cash" cost. But it will cost you Marriott points.

Note there are a couple of different ways to convert Marriott points into airline miles. There are the straight convertion awards found at Air Mileage Awards. Note that you will get 1 airline mile somewhere for 3 to 5 Marriott points (depends on the number of miles you want.)

Marriott also has their Travel Package Awards that come with a 7 night hotel stay and somewhere between 50K-120K airline miles. Note that a TP award provides a 1-to-1 Marriott point to airline mile transfer rate (after you take the hotel award into consideration.) This is one of the best hotel awards in the industry.

Marriott wil also allow someone to earn airline miles instead of points, but the earnings is normally so poor that no one really would want to do that. (Certain promotions like the current Delta one can sometimes change the dynamics enough to make this a "temporary" option for the life of the promo.)

judolphin May 25, 2010 9:32 am

Originally Posted by kmwjes (Post 14018635)
If you are considering a Travel Package Award and want USAirways points then USAir is offering a 50% bonus miles when you convert hotel points to miles starting 5/24-. You must register with USAirways first.

Of course I just cashed in a Travel Package on 5/20 and had 120,000 miles posted to USAir. "If Only" I waited it would have been 180,000. Is it possible to retro this award with Marriott?

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrRRRRRRRRRGH !

Two weeks ago transferred a travel package to CO! Son of a...!!!!

hhoope01 May 25, 2010 2:09 pm

I just noticed in the SPG forum that US has re-upped on their 50% mileage transfer from them as well. Looks like US is really putting the screws to the advertising table. :eek:

Mr. Vker May 25, 2010 2:44 pm

So I just have to register and process a Travel Package like normal and I get 50% bonus on the miles?

We are looking to travel BWI-BKK next summer. THe 50% bonus might kick us up to Biz class!

KMC1982 May 25, 2010 3:07 pm

Do you have a link for this?

Any idea how long this lasts? Seems too good to pass up, but no long vacations scheduled in the near future.

If I buy the category 8 reward, will marriott allow me to "book down" and actually use it on cat 7 hotels if I want?

Mr. Vker May 25, 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by KMC1982 (Post 14021806)

Any idea how long this lasts? Seems too good to pass up, but no long vacations scheduled in the near future.

If I buy the category 8 reward, will marriott allow me to "book down" and actually use it on cat 7 hotels if I want?

You can book down, but get no points back. If you buy a cat 7 you can upgrade later for the point difference.

Link requested:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...romotions.html

rthib May 25, 2010 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by KMC1982 (Post 14021806)

Yes, but they will also let you purchase up. So if you bought a 7 and need an 8, you can pay the difference later.

KMC1982 May 25, 2010 3:43 pm

Sounds like you have until July 31 to purchase this. Am I reading this right? This sounds like a fantastic deal.

Mr. Vker May 25, 2010 3:47 pm

Does anyone familiar with US Airways FF program know how challenging it might be to book 2 tix for late June/Early July 2011 from BWI-BKK in business class?

Just ballpark ideas. We would book 330 days out.

Ladyallenfla May 25, 2010 6:41 pm

It doesn't look like you can fly to asia at all on US air. You may be able to book a partner airline depending on the award charts.

roder May 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ladyallenfla (Post 14022910)
It doesn't look like you can fly to asia at all on US air. You may be able to book a partner airline depending on the award charts.

You don't WANT to fly to Asia on US Airways anyway! There are tons of Partners including ANA, Asiana, Thai, Singapore, and of course Continental and United.

Plus, as Lucky points out, you can route to Asia via Europe, opening even more options

KMC1982 May 26, 2010 7:44 am

Do these travel packages need to be used at one hotel or can they be spread across several dates/destinations?

Ladyallenfla May 26, 2010 7:47 am

They can only be used at one hotel for a consecutive nights stay (5 or 7 nights depending on the package)

aaupgrade May 26, 2010 9:15 am

They must be used at one hotel during a single contiguous stay, but the award nights themselves do NOT need to be contiguous.

So if you want to stay for Jan 1-8 and Jan 3 and 4 are not available, but Jan 8 and 9 are, then you could extend your stay and book a 9 night stay instead for Jan 1-10 and pay for Jan 3 and 4 and use your 7 award nights for the nights of Jan 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. You need to call Marriott reservations to make a reservaiton of this type that includes both paid and award nights.

mooper May 26, 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by judolphin (Post 14019667)
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrRRRRRRRRRGH !

Two weeks ago transferred a travel package to CO! Son of a...!!!!

Over the past couple of years, I've redeemed three of these and have learned to just hang on until a 50%+ bonus offer comes along. In the future, if possible, just be patient and another should be announced. So far, I've done both Delta and USAir... not sure if other airlines have participated in the past.

Originally Posted by kmwjes (Post 14018635)
If you are considering a Travel Package Award and want USAirways points then USAir is offering a 50% bonus miles when you convert hotel points to miles starting 5/24-. You must register with USAirways first.

Of course I just cashed in a Travel Package on 5/20 and had 120,000 miles posted to USAir. "If Only" I waited it would have been 180,000. Is it possible to retro this award with Marriott?

Don't forget that if you have a Chase Marriott Visa and you are doing a Category 7 or 8 package, you also get 15,000 points back via the newly-announced perk: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn...ard-rewards.mi

(Travel Packages include 7 nights, so if you choose Category 7 or 8, then this should apply.)

boomdog May 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 14025968)
Don't forget that if you have a Chase Marriott Visa and you are doing a Category 7 or 8 package, you also get 15,000 points back via the newly-announced perk: http://www.marriott.com/rewards/earn...ard-rewards.mi

(Travel Packages include 7 nights, so if you choose Category 7 or 8, then this should apply.)

From the T&C's, "Bonus is only awarded for Standard Marriott Rewards redemption stays at category 7 or 8 properties."

The word "Standard" makes me wonder about whether TPs are eligible. Anyone intending to do this should confirm first (and please post here if you know the answer!)

bd

hhoope01 May 26, 2010 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by boomdog (Post 14026922)
The word "Standard" makes me wonder about whether TPs are eligible. Anyone intending to do this should confirm first (and please post here if you know the answer!)

TPs should be eligible. I suspect the word "standard" means not a "pointsaver" or Marriott partner (RC) awards. The hotel portion of a TP award is really just a normal hotel room award (i.e. standard).

mooper May 26, 2010 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 14027054)
TPs should be eligible. I suspect the word "standard" means not a "pointsaver" or Marriott partner (RC) awards. The hotel portion of a TP award is really just a normal hotel room award (i.e. standard).

+1 though I too would appreciate it if someone would confirm. I'm about to book another one of these within a week or so, so I will be able to confirm then, but it would be nice to know ahead of time.

yyyccclll May 26, 2010 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 14028455)
+1 though I too would appreciate it if someone would confirm. I'm about to book another one of these within a week or so, so I will be able to confirm then, but it would be nice to know ahead of time.

call Marriott/Vias desk, was told TP is not qualified.:(

mooper May 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by yyyccclll (Post 14028715)
call Marriott/Vias desk, was told TP is not qualified.:(

Thanks for the note. That's bad news, though I wouldn't give up hope yet, as the terms aren't clear about this and they should really clarify somewhere. Maybe I'll post in the Marriott forums to see if I can get a response there, as the reps you speak with aren't always fully informed. Did the rep you spoke with "check with someone", or just answer off the cuff, maybe guessing? I don't see why it wouldn't qualify, given that the Travel Packages are essentially standard seven night awards with 120K MR-for-120K FF tacked on.

boomdog May 27, 2010 7:20 am

Over on CC, it has been stated that it is uncertain whether the 50% USAir bonus works with TPs:

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 14028314)
EDIT: FWIW, some on Marriott board are indicating there is a question whether Marriott tour packages apply toward the 50 percent bonus for USAir.

Specifically, it says that this question has been raised over here. I haven't seen it.

Is anyone concerned about whether the 50% USAir bonus works with TPs? This is obviously very important...

bd

Ladyallenfla May 27, 2010 7:25 am

When delta had the 150% bonus, I was told that there was not a way to distinguish a "regular" transfer from a TP transfer because it was simply a points to miles transfer. I would be very surprised if someone does not receive the bonus miles. As long as you register and then transfer. This has always worked in the past.

aaupgrade May 27, 2010 8:08 am

HELLO. Knock, knock, knock! Posts 17-21 are in reference to the 15% discount for Category 7 and 8 properties not applying to TPs. I perceive the responses in posts 22 and onward as having misinterpreted posts 17-21 as having meant the US 50% bonus does not apply. If that is not the case, then my bad. Due to Ikar's posting date and time (referenced in post 23) the only posts he could be referencing are posts 17-21 in this thread, so the circular reference in post 23 is totally misleading IMO.

FWIW, in the case of AA promos of the past, the bonus is done by the airline as that was where one registered. Any points transfered were multiplied accordingly and it did not matter whether it was a TP or standard transfer source. If this promo is registered through US then I would GUESS that it is handled in a similar manner.

lkar May 27, 2010 8:17 am

Originally Posted by boomdog (Post 14031451)
Over on CC, it has been stated that it is uncertain whether the 50% USAir bonus works with TPs:

Specifically, it says that this question has been raised over here. I haven't seen it.

Is anyone concerned about whether the 50% USAir bonus works with TPs? This is obviously very important...

bd

I was confused about the 15k thing. I edited my other post accordingly.

lkar May 27, 2010 8:17 am

Originally Posted by aaupgrade (Post 14031696)
HELLO. Knock, knock, knock! Posts 17-21 are in reference to the 15% discount for Category 7 and 8 properties not applying to TPs. I perceive the responses in posts 22 and onward as having misinterpreted posts 17-21 as having meant the US 50% bonus does not apply. If that is not the case, then my bad.

Right. Exactly where I got confused. Sorry all.

UA Fan May 27, 2010 2:23 pm

Can I issue the 7 night travel cert in someone else's name?

This is the cert that comes with the travel package.

boomdog May 27, 2010 2:58 pm

Yes, but you need to talk to Marriott to do it. It is easier if the name is put on it correctly at the time the TP is issued, but I think they can "pull it back" and add the name later. Talk to them before having the TP issued regardless.

You'd have to check the T&C's, but I think that a gift is fine, but this isn't supposed to be a sale or barter. YMMV.

bd

Delta3MM May 27, 2010 11:43 pm

Yes, you can.

Most Travel certs are electronic and if issed for you, you will not get paper. If you ask for someone else's name, they will send paper certificate with that persons name on it to your address.

Billy

UA Fan Jun 1, 2010 11:21 am

I issued a TP and transferred miles to US. The miles posted on Sat, however I do not see any bonus miles from US. The US link says they should have started posting by June 1.

UA Fan Jun 1, 2010 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 14057075)
I issued a TP and transferred miles to US. The miles posted on Sat, however I do not see any bonus miles from US. The US link says they should have started posting by June 1.

My bonus miles posted. For those who have doubts whether the TP gives bonus for US transfers, I was your successful guinea pig. :)

boomdog Jun 1, 2010 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 14057788)
My bonus miles posted. For those who have doubts whether the TP gives bonus for US transfers, I was your successful guinea pig. :)

Thanks, Mr. GP. I'm ordering 2 TPs to US straightaway.

bd.

vker Jun 2, 2010 6:18 pm

Just did 120k mile transfer! Cat 5 for 5 night package 235k Marriott points.

GrizShel Jun 2, 2010 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by vker (Post 14066184)
Just did 120k mile transfer! Cat 5 for 5 night package 235k Marriott points.

Since when can you order a travel package for 120k airline miles and only a five-night hotel stay?

vker Jun 2, 2010 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by GrizShel (Post 14066337)
Since when can you order a travel package for 120k airline miles and only a five-night hotel stay?

I believe you have to be a MVCI owner. I was purchasing the 7 night stay and the rep told me we would get 5 nights for less points as owners.

UA Fan Jun 3, 2010 7:32 am

Originally Posted by vker (Post 14066530)
I believe you have to be a MVCI owner. I was purchasing the 7 night stay and the rep told me we would get 5 nights for less points as owners.

Whats MVCI? ALso would this have been possible for Plats?

Starbucks Jun 3, 2010 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan (Post 14068713)
Whats MVCI? ALso would this have been possible for Plats?

Marriott Vacation Club International (=Timeshare Biz of Marriott)

vker Jun 3, 2010 5:45 pm

Got the 120K base miles. Anyone know how long the bonus miles take to post?

UA Fan Jun 3, 2010 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by vker (Post 14072438)
Got the 120K base miles. Anyone know how long the bonus miles take to post?

Next Tuesday midday.

holocker Jun 6, 2010 9:57 pm

Travel Package with AA miles

I know Marriott is ending their relationship with AA on June 30. If I want to order a travel package with AA miles can I wait until the end of June or do I need to call in advance.

GetawaysRus Jun 7, 2010 7:25 am

I was on the phone with a Marriott CSR last week about this same issue.

The CSR recommended that I take care of the request by June 25th because there can be up to a several day delay for posting of the AA miles to your account. Submitting your request by June 25 will give you a several day buffer in case of any problems or delays. If you wait until June 30, the miles may not make it in time.

I'm going to need to transfer some Marriott points from my wife's account to mine in order to take a travel package. To do this, Marriott faxes a form to you, both individuals need to sign to agree to the points transfer, and you then fax the form back. We've completed the form, and I'll probably fax it back to them by mid-late June.