FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/137327-questions-involving-rollover-nights-many-merged-threads.html)

Cole Nov 21, 2009 11:20 pm

Upagraded Me to Platinum at 73 Nights

Did not plan much if any travel after October and had 73 nights and I thought 23 nights would rollover. I was unexpectedly upgraded by Marriott to Platinum so guess no nights will roll over now?

PurdueFlyer Nov 22, 2009 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Cole (Post 12860637)
Did not plan much if any travel after October and had 73 nights and I thought 23 nights would rollover. I was unexpectedly upgraded by Marriott to Platinum so guess no nights will roll over now?

This concerns me, I'm sitting at 71 nights now and will probably have one or two more by years end. However most of my nights this year were earned in the winter while I was on a temp assignment in Florida, and then I relocated to ATL. its been slow for the past half-year.

If they do comp me to Plat, how long into 2010 do I keep that new level? I was content with the Signature CC and keeping the rollover nights, which would put me around 30-ish nights already for next year. I dont really care about the Plat frills and without the rollover nights, would probably not even make gold again.

cheers,

PF

Delta3MM Nov 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer (Post 12861932)
This concerns me, I'm sitting at 71 nights now and will probably have one or two more by years end. However most of my nights this year were earned in the winter while I was on a temp assignment in Florida, and then I relocated to ATL. its been slow for the past half-year.

If they do comp me to Plat, how long into 2010 do I keep that new level? I was content with the Signature CC and keeping the rollover nights, which would put me around 30-ish nights already for next year. I dont really care about the Plat frills and without the rollover nights, would probably not even make gold again.

cheers,

PF

My guess is the previous poster was "upgraded" to plat because they have a "rolling" qualification for 75 nights for a 12 month period.

If you do hit plat before the end of this year, due to the rolling qualification, and you have less than 75 nights this year, then you will get zero rollover nights but you will be plat until Feb. of 2011. If you don't hit plat this year, you will have whatever night you have now minus 50 rollover into next year, and you will be gold until you hit 75 nights withing a 12 month period or until Feb. 2011, if you don't make it again.

Billy

fracmeister Dec 9, 2009 7:12 pm

Rollover question

Okay, as only a peasant silver member I racked up 44 nights this year, 6 short of gold. I dont have any plans to spend 6 more nights in a hotel this year, but I understand there is a way to rollover the 34 nights in excess of the 10 req for silver. How do i do this? Unclear to me on the website.

Thanks in advance ---I am mainly a Hilton and Sheraton guy but don't focus enough on any of them to max out. But I guess I could rent a cheapo Marriott room (what is the cheapest option?) if it would actually allow me to carryover 35 nights.

VA1379 Dec 9, 2009 8:47 pm

You have to do nothing. If you are currently silver and were last year (based on your post), the extra nights (34) would rollover for next year's status. Rollover only applies for extra nights beyond what you need to qualify for a certain level (assuming that you are not dropping a level - i.e. they won't let you rollover extra nights if you are not qualifying at the same level as you were a year ago).

PSUMarkDC Dec 10, 2009 8:53 am

Especially with as many questions as there seem to have been coming in from folks - including myself - might be an opportune time to put a "sticky" post at the top of the forum explaining this, as we approach the end of the calendar year there are bound to be more similar questions!

bigguyinpasadena Dec 10, 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by ;12958208
Okay, as only a peasant silver member I racked up 44 nights this year, 6 short of gold. I dont have any plans to spend 6 more nights in a hotel this year, but I understand there is a way to rollover the 34 nights in excess of the 10 req for silver. How do i do this? Unclear to me on the website.

Thanks in advance ---I am mainly a Hilton and Sheraton guy but don't focus enough on any of them to max out. But I guess I could rent a cheapo Marriott room (what is the cheapest option?) if it would actually allow me to carryover 35 nights.

fracmeister as much as I am NOT a fan of Marriott I would urge you do put in 6 more nights as cheaply as possible with Marriott as soon as possible.
The difference btween gold and silver are worth it IMO and you are so close.
Just do a search on the are you are in for rates the next two weekends-6 nights should be easy to do.

VA1379 Dec 10, 2009 11:03 am

For the OP: Do you have the Premier Marriott Visa card? If you don't, I would wait until next January to sign up for that card. You will get 15 nights elite credit each year with that credit card. Why wait until next year? Because you can carry over more elite nights into next year.

Stay one more night at Marriott in 2009. Then you will have 35 nights to carry over into 2010. Apply for the Marriott Premier Visa card at the end of 2009. When you get the card in 2010, you will have 50 nights (35 from the carryover and 15 from the credit card). This will give you gold status for 2010, 2011, and through February 29, 2012.

bigguyinpasadena Dec 10, 2009 1:46 pm

VERY good strategy VA1379 ^
fracmeister do what VA 1379 advised if you can get the MRVisa.
If not-consider what I suggested.
The added bennies of gold would outweigh the cost of some cheapie stays.

ukswift88 Dec 10, 2009 2:18 pm

i'm in a similar positionto francmiester, just wondered once I achieve GOLD status... how many nights to I need to maintain GOLD the year after?

ssing Dec 10, 2009 2:58 pm

I just got this email from Marriott about the rollover. It does not say whether all elite nights or the elite nights above my current silver status will be rolled over.

"As 2009 draws to a close, I would like to wish you a happy holiday season and thank you for your continued loyalty to Marriott®. Even through this challenging economy, our focus on taking care of you never waivered.

We have also found new ways to make Marriott Rewards even better. Last January, we eliminated blackout dates, making it easier for you to redeem your points. Looking ahead, we are going to roll over your Elite nights, giving you a head start in 2010. We are always looking for ways to make Marriott Rewards the best program it can be.

On behalf of our associates around the world, thank you for being our guest!"

NYSpeedRacer Dec 10, 2009 5:21 pm

I achieved Platinum Status this year with 200 nights after switching from Holiday Inn. Do all my nights rollover for the following year? or Will I be downgraded, if I don't maintain 75 nights in 2010?

rd24 Dec 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Marriott Rewards Rollovers quesitons:

As I understand it, any nights in excess of the required nights for any of the three levels will be automatically added to the member's account at the start of the new year. If you look at your card it typically shows a February expiration date, so the change may not be apparent immediately.

As for the Gold ELite: anyhting in escess of the required 10 will be added as startup nights in 2010. For the Platinum member: you've made it with extra nights to spare (200) and will start the year with a whopping 125 nights in the accont: keep that up another year and you might be Platinum Premier!

hhoope01 Dec 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by rd24 (Post 12963995)
...will start the year with a whopping 125 nights in the accont: keep that up another year and you might be Platinum Premier!

Unfortunately for NYSpeedRacer it takes more than just nights to get PP status. But if someone is cranking out 200 nights per year and does that over 3 or 4 years, there is definitely a decent chance that PP status may be on the horizon. ;)

fracmeister Dec 10, 2009 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by VA1379 (Post 12961925)
For the OP: Do you have the Premier Marriott Visa card? If you don't, I would wait until next January to sign up for that card. You will get 15 nights elite credit each year with that credit card. Why wait until next year? (snip).

Never met a credit card I couldn't get..so I will do one cheapie night... (which is the cheapest Marriott chain?? I see plenty of courtyards for 68$) between now and EOY and apply for it after 1/1

Thanks amigos

I will report upon success or failure