FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Questions involving rollover nights [Many merged threads] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/137327-questions-involving-rollover-nights-many-merged-threads.html)

megtravels Apr 25, 2009 1:04 pm

so if i get 90 nights then 15 roll over.....fine.....BUT i am a PP and there is no real requirement to achieve this.........

IMO this rollover thing is a waste...............it seems as if it's just making the nonwritten "rolling year" more of a reality...

MR should call it like it is...........everyone gets whatever status someone in an office (or a computer) wants to give them as long as they get sort of the amount of nights needed to sort of qualify for so called status........:rolleyes::confused::(

whatever.

reddirt14 Apr 25, 2009 2:33 pm

No it's useful. If you rack up excess stays this year you'll hit your Platinum mark early in 2010 and can start building status at another chain with the security of knowing you've got Marriott in the bag as a backup. I like this. I'm getting close to switching chains myself, but I'm a little nervous about leaving Marriott. It's just starting to seem like the right thing to do. It's the temptation of better rewards that is quickly pulling me away.

Bob Thompson Apr 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Wish they had this a few years ago when I hit 274 nights in a year.

travelexpert Apr 26, 2009 12:49 am

Wooo Hooo!!!

Looks like Marriott Rewards finally came up with one REAL enhancement...

mooper Apr 26, 2009 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 11643000)
I doubt the promotion department is worried about the potential loss of revenue from the 0.001% of their target audience that is lifetime PLT.

Just like income taxes, the very top of the chain are responsible for a hugely disproportionate multiple of the revenue. A promotion that causes the top 1% of the customer base to spend twice as much would increase revenues by *far* more than 1%... maybe 20% or more. (I'm guessing at the 20% and I'm aware that Lifetime Plats are not 1% of the customer base - I'm just illustrating my point.)

Originally Posted by megtravels (Post 11643035)
IMO this rollover thing is a waste...............it seems as if it's just making the nonwritten "rolling year" more of a reality...

Maybe I'm unique, but this promo will do the trick for me. I was planning on coming in around 20 nights for the year, not bothering to make a run at 50 because I know that I have no shot at hitting it. With this promo in place, I am going to add some nights - maybe 10 or so - knowing that 20 rollover nights plus my annual 15 nights from my Chase CC will put me in good position to make a run for Gold in 2010.

hhoope01 Apr 26, 2009 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 11646351)
A promotion that causes the top 1% of the customer base to spend twice as much would increase revenues by *far* more than 1%... maybe 20% or more.

The issue here is that the top % you are referring to are already probably spending hundreds of nights a year at Marriotts. The real question is how much more revenue will a promo bring from that top group? I suspect that Marriott is thinking that real gains will come from those who are NOT currently Marriott top elites, but middle or low elites that may spread their stays out amongst other programs. Or those who don't currently stay at Marriott very much. Those are the ones that Marriott is trying to get them to achieve a higher Marriott elite status. (Probably with the hope that once you have attained it, you will want to keep it.)

PHLGovFlyer Apr 26, 2009 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by mooper (Post 11646351)
Maybe I'm unique, but this promo will do the trick for me. I was planning on coming in around 20 nights for the year, not bothering to make a run at 50 because I know that I have no shot at hitting it. With this promo in place, I am going to add some nights - maybe 10 or so - knowing that 20 rollover nights plus my annual 15 nights from my Chase CC will put me in good position to make a run for Gold in 2010.

It is an interesting twist for me too. I've pretty much given up on MR since the points devaluation, but I'll still have a few MR nights here and there when there isn't a HH property available. So between my CC and about 10 paid nights per year I'll have 25 nights credit at the end of 2009. Then 15 of those will roll over into 2010 and I'll probably add another 25 for a total of 40 by the end of the year. Following that path I might just be Gold for 2012.

travelexpert Apr 26, 2009 5:27 pm

I am wondering if this move is an attempt to woo back prior loyalists who abandoned Marriott following the recent points devaluation.

Without actually admitting "we screwed up".

I for one am definitely not taking the bait....

mooper Apr 26, 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 11648274)
I am wondering if this move is an attempt to woo back prior loyalists who abandoned Marriott following the recent points devaluation.

Probably, and works on me. I pretty much left for SPG after the devaluation, but this gives me reason to come back (or at least make a run at Gold and then consider coming back).

rahmanbar Apr 29, 2009 3:33 pm

Elite Rollover Nights Email

Received the following email today (N/A in my case inasmuch as I'm Lifetime Plat)

Say Hello to Elite Rollover Nights!

Dear Rahmanbar,

We appreciate you as a Platinum Elite member - and we know your nights are valuable to you. That's why we're breaking new ground to help you retain your Elite status.

Announcing Elite Rollover Nights!

Every night you stay above the 75 nights needed to maintain your current Platinum level in 2009 is yours to keep and count toward your 2010 Elite status.

It's the only rollover night enhancement we know of - anywhere.

Plus, we'll give you a head start with double nights. Stay at any
participating Marriott® hotel between May 11 and June 26, 2009, and earn double nights, starting with your first stay. Plus, we've already preregistered you for this great promotion.

So get twice the nights with this double deal. And since every night this year counts, it's easier to maintain your Platinum status.

Details:

You asked for it; we’ve created it. We’re breaking new ground to help you achieve – and increase – your Elite status.

Introducing Elite Rollover Nights! After you’ve stayed enough nights to earn Elite status in 2009, we’ll roll over all additional nights to 2010 (for example, Silver member nights in excess of 10, Gold member nights in excess of 50 and Platinum members nights in excess of 75). That means you can start earning next year’s status this year!

It’s the only rollover night enhancement we know of – anywhere. And we’ve designed it exclusively for you.

Plus, get a head start with Double Nights. Between May 11 and June 26, every night you stay counts twice! If you’re not registered, you can sign up now.

So get rolling! Reserve at any of more than 3,000 Marriott hotels worldwide. Since every night this year counts, it’s easier to maintain your status – and achieve the next level in 2010. No need to do anything extra: your Elite Rollover Nights will be automatically posted to your 2010 account.

To see how many nights until your next level, check your online account.

DCFlyer0306 Apr 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Got the email today too - I am a "Gold" on the three month promotion (really a silver)

pinniped Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

I got it too. I'm a Platinum who will not come close to requalifying.

We have a couple of vacation stays planned for 2010 that would be in properties that Marriott has classified as "resorts" for the purposes of withholding Platinum benefits. Therefore, my 2009 paid stay activity is moving mainly to Hilton. The desired locations have Hilton properties of similar quality (no more or less "resorty", whatever that arbitrary term means in the hotel industry), so to achieve those goals I need to move my business to Hilton now.

It's a shame: I prefer Marriott over Hilton for my business travel, but I can't keep accumulating hundreds of thousands of Marriott points only to get poor treatment when I try to redeem the points with my family. I'll still pick up a few Marriott stays here and there and maybe redeem a Travel Package every 2-3 years when we pick a destination that Marriott hasn't chosen to call its property a "resort".

calitequilasippergirl Apr 29, 2009 4:05 pm

Same Message - PP here

Dear CTSG,

We appreciate you as a Platinum Premier member - and we know your nights are valuable to you. That's why we're breaking new ground to help you retain your Elite status.

Announcing Elite Rollover Nights!

Every night you stay above the 100 nights needed to maintain your current Platinum level in 2009 is yours to keep and count toward your 2010 Elite status.

It's the only rollover night enhancement we know of - anywhere.

Plus, we'll give you a head start with double nights. Stay at any
participating Marriott® hotel between May 11 and June 26, 2009, and earn double nights, starting with your first stay. Plus, we've already preregistered you for this great promotion.

So get twice the nights with this double deal. And since every night this year counts, it's easier to maintain your Platinum Premier status.

BearX220 Apr 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Only a Silver here, and only a casual Marriott user. Got the email also, but don't really understand the proposition -- can anyone explain?

hhoope01 Apr 29, 2009 4:12 pm

Check out the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...its-weird.html thread. There has been quite a bit of discussion on this and Marriott Concierge has even answered some of them.