Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mahasamatman
NOTE: this thread is for discussing promotions and discounts on gift card purchases and cash-back rebate sites etc.

Discussion about gift card usage can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...on-thread.html

For more details, see the first post of this thread: New to this thread? Start here: Intro - https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18858149-post1.html

You can use Marriott gift cards to pay for Marriott stays (not applicable for discounted prepaid rates), resort fees and parking fees, treatments at the spa, dining at Marriott properties and more. Keep in mind, however, that some Marriott brands do not accept Marriott gift cards. This includes Bulgari, Design Hotels, Homes & Villas by Marriott International and The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club and possibly more.

Historical portal earning and noticeable deals and discounts (July-2020):
Rakuten: 1.5%
MrRebates: 0%
TopCashBack & BeFrugal:
Asia Pacific: 5%
Europe, Africa, etc: 5%
US/Canada Properties: 3%
There are others as well. See evreward.com and cashbackmonitor.com for other current deals.

Pros and cons of buying hotel Gift Cards:

Pros:
1. 15% discount. We do not get additional earning from credit card since we would have earned the same points by paying with cash (credit card)
2. Good for mattress runs at reduced costs. Assume score lower room rates.

Cons:
1. Commitment to a single brand Marriott. Eliminate the flexibility of stays with Hilton, IHG, Hyatt and other brands.
2. GCs are prepaid funds. The funds do not earn anything (interest). We lose the time value of money. The longer we do not use the GCs, we more we lose.
3. GC values are not protected (perishable). The physical GCs can get lost or stolen. We may forget to use the GCs. The GCs can be hacked and value drained. After the GC purchases, the credit card protection is gone.
4. GCs are not accepted at all hotels. Marriott hotels are more decentralized and it carries so many brands. Some do not follow Marriott rules and they may not accept those GCs even though they should. A lot hotels overseas do not accept the GCs.
5. GCs have limitation. At current time, they can't be used to book prepaid hotel stays. This defeats the main purpose of buying the GCs. The GC holders are not entitled for the discounted hotel rates.
6. GCs are dominated in US $ only. Even if they are accepted at foreign location, GC holders lose further more from foreign exchange. With credit card, we may get to choose to charge in USD $ or local currency.
7. GCs can't be redeemed for cash. If GC holders ever want to get the cash out of the GCs due to financial hardship, they can only be sold at the secondary markets like eBay etc. at steep costs.

To check card balance, visit gifts.marriott.com.
For Customer Service call +1 800.442.6132 or email [email protected].
Gift Card Registration: Lost, stolen or damaged cards will be replaced only if previously registered on gifts.marriott.com. Value of replaced card will equal balance on card at the time it was reported lost, stolen or damaged.

Notes:
1) If you make an LNF/BRG adjustment to your reservation you will still get cash back.
DIRECTIONS FOR A HOTEL TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD
Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.
Print Wikipost

MASTER THREAD: Current Marriott Gift Card, Cash Back, Tricks & Promos

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I received the following offer to earn up to 5,000 United miles with the purchase of gift cards. I haven't looked into the offer in detail and am not sure if it can be stacked with any other promos/offers/cashback...

https://www.marriottvacationcardoffe...ted?source=EWR
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by mastermc54
I received the following offer to earn up to 5,000 United miles with the purchase of gift cards. I haven't looked into the offer in detail and am not sure if it can be stacked with any other promos/offers/cashback...

https://www.marriottvacationcardoffe...ted?source=EWR
Cash back is valid only when an order is processed through the main marriott.com domain; the various airline mileage offers are not. Nonetheless, this might appeal to some people. I'll review and add it soon. Thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by asandrs
I'm probably answering my own question here but I wondered if any one had used a Chase Freedom card to buy Marriott gift cards ?. One of the 5% cash back categories this quarter is 'on hotel rooms purchased directly with the hotel'. They then go on to explain that this definition means they exclude expedia etc but I wasn't sure if as long as they saw the purchase was directly from Marriott (albeit not immediately for a room) if that fits the category. I didn't see any wording either that excluded gift card purchases from earning rewards.

I'm guessing that a gift card purchase will not qualify for the 5% cashback but being as the TCB 5% is not combinable with the Southwest offer I was just wondering if this was a useable alternative.
Just got my statement- I received 5x UR for buying Marriott GCs with the Southwest miles promo using the Chase Freedom under the 4Q hotel category bonus.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
couldn't find this question but apologize if i missed it.

if you use one of the rebate sites and book a Marriott reservation and then submit that reservation to LNF which is subsequently approved, will the rebate on the lower rate still go through?

Thanks in advance for the input
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:47 pm

Programs: Delta:PM, US Airways:CP, HH:DM, MR:DM, Avis:First, Hertz: President's Circle
Here is what I found on the CNBC website :

Marriott gift cards can be purchased online directly with the hotel chain. But to earn bonus airline miles, purchase them through each airline's unique portal. Here are the specifics:

Delta Air Lines: Earn bonus Delta SkyMiles for gift cards purchased between October 19 to December 15 as follows:

200 SkyMiles with a $100 Marriott gift card purchase
500 SkyMiles with a $250 Marriott gift card purchase
2,000 SkyMiles with a $1,000 Marriott gift card purchase

The maximum bonus miles Delta allows under this promotion is 10,000 miles ($5,000 in gift card purchases). Click here for the Delta offer.

Southwest Airlines: Earn bonus Rapid Rewards points for gift cards purchased now through November 30 as follows:

1,200 Rapid Rewards points with a $100 Marriott gift card purchase
3,000 Rapid Rewards points with a $250 Marriott gift card purchase
6,000 Rapid Rewards points with a $500 Marriott gift card purchase

The maximum bonus points Southwest allows under this promotion is 12,000 points ($1,000 in gift card purchases). Click here for the Southwest offer.

United Airlines: Earn bonus MileagePlus miles for gift cards purchased between October 15 to November 26 as follows:

500 MileagePlus bonus miles with a $150 Marriott gift card purchase
1,000 MileagePlus bonus miles with a $250 Marriott gift card purchase
2,000 MileagePlus bonus miles with a $400 Marriott gift card purchase

The maximum bonus miles United allows under this promotion is 5,000 miles ($1,050 in gift card purchases). Click here for the United offer.

Marriott gift cards may be used at participating JW Marriott, EDITION, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels, AC by Marriott, Marriott Hotels and Resorts, Courtyard by Marriott, Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott, SpringHill Suites by Marriott, Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites by Marriott and Marriott Vacation Club locations.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 1:06 pm
RNE

Is there any expiration date on these cards? I'm going to buy $1100 worth (to get the maximum 5000 mile bonus) but it may be 2 to 3 years before I use 'em all. Does the Credit CARD Act of 2009 apply to these cards? I ask this because my understanding is that the law applies only to store- and bank-issued gift cards; I'm not sure if Marriott counts as a "store."
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Ebates is currently showing 5% back for Marriott
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Originally Posted by RNE
Is there any expiration date on these cards? I'm going to buy $1100 worth (to get the maximum 5000 mile bonus) but it may be 2 to 3 years before I use 'em all. Does the Credit CARD Act of 2009 apply to these cards? I ask this because my understanding is that the law applies only to store- and bank-issued gift cards; I'm not sure if Marriott counts as a "store."
Without commenting on the precise legal status (I Am Not A Lawyer), I will note Marriott has not printed an expiration date on its gift cards or Travel Cards issued in the last 5 years or so. I don't believe that they will expire except if the corporation should expire or attempt to cancel the entire program (in which case I'm sure they would be hit with a class action lawsuit in addition to any government enforcement actions).
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by ncgator
if you use one of the rebate sites and book a Marriott reservation and then submit that reservation to LNF which is subsequently approved, will the rebate on the lower rate still go through
Great question! When a reservation is changed and not re-booked by going through the CJ affiliate program (which cash back sites use) again, the tracking is lost and the cash back will not post. Therefore, while I can't tell you from experience, I believe that an LNF change would cause the same problem. Perhaps someone who has tried it could confirm or differ?

Originally Posted by RNE
Is there any expiration date on these cards? I'm going to buy $1100 worth (to get the maximum 5000 mile bonus) but it may be 2 to 3 years before I use 'em all.
Marriott used to include expiration dates, but I believe this was just because they used to be Visa numbers with the first digit (4) missing and it was just to keep the formatting/validation in line. I think the word used to be that if the card expired, they'd reissue with another expiration and you'd preserve value (the expiration years were far out, so probably came up rarely). The Gift Cards no longer have expiration dates, nor have I seen any indication they are supposed to expire. As another poster said, the biggest risk is probably Marriott going out of business (as highly unlikely as that is), and even if that happened, they'd likely be honored by someone else.

Originally Posted by bk3day
Ebates is currently showing 5% back for Marriott
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it is part of eBates' "Home for the Holidays" promo, which based upon the turkey in the logo, probably ends late November. I couldn't find any specific terms stating when the 5% ends, but if someone does, please share. I included this 5% cash back offer along with many other updates to the OP, which also included the addition of the two new Gift Card/Airline mile offers, a shortcut to Silver Status, and the Chase 5x offer strategy.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 1:20 pm

For those of you who purchased GCs for the SW points, how long did it take to post to your RR account? I'm gunning for a CP and need the points to post this year. TIA
Old Oct 19, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by love2ft
For those of you who purchased GCs for the SW points, how long did it take to post to your RR account? I'm gunning for a CP and need the points to post this year. TIA
The SW points you get from the Gift Card purchases (up to 12,000) don't count towards the CP.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by Majikow
The SW points you get from the Gift Card purchases (up to 12,000) don't count towards the CP.
Thanks so much for your reply. I was unaware of this...very good to know I need CP points from elsewhere. Oh well, at least the $1K will counts towards the $2K spend.

Plan B is to transfer BW points to SW, if I remember reading MM's blog, this should count. Has anyone had experience doing this and how long did it take for the points to post, 6-8 weeks as stated on the website?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Originally Posted by love2ft
10 days. Ordered Marriott GCs 10/4, pts posted to Southwest 10/14, but as Majikow said above they do not count toward CP.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL DM, UA Gold, WOH Glob, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by greek2me
10 days. Ordered Marriott GCs 10/4, pts posted to Southwest 10/14, but as Majikow said above they do not count toward CP.
what is CP? Assume related to Southwest, not Marriott, but wanted to confirm. Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by Supercub17
what is CP? Assume related to Southwest, not Marriott, but wanted to confirm. Thanks.
Companion Pass- Southwest

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.