Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Icon Houston - Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium

This hotel joined the Marriott family in October and I'm currently enjoying my first stay there.

In the centre of Houston on Main St - a few blocks away from what passes as the real centre of Houston but still walkable to most of the attractions of downtown Houston

Decor & Rooms

The building used to be an old bank and there is a huge vault door behind teh check in desk. The decor is very nicely done old style American which gives the place a very pleasant period feel which extends to the elevator and bedroom floors.

I was upgraded to a deluxe room which was very characterful and comfortable. It was adequate, but not huge by US standards, but what it lost in size, it made up for in decor. Done out in a period early 20th century style, it had a very comfortable ambience. The bathroom was excellent with a huge walk-in shower and separate jacuzzi bathtub, all done in marble. One quirky touch was a shuttered opening between the bedroom and bathroom which allowed you to peek on whatever was going on in the other room.

Elite Treatment

A very welcoming and personable lady checked me in. I was offered the upgraded room, and given breakfast coupons plus the ususal platinum amenity.

Summary

I like it. It does feel very much different from the norm in terms of Marriotts and you would struggle to recognise it as such - there is no Marriott branding. It has character, is well located, and is comfortable with nice rooms and welcoming staff. Up to now, the Hilton has been my choice for a downtown Houston property but the Icon has just nudged ahead.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Is there a lounge of some sort?
Old Feb 22, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
no concierge lounge. i rec'd certs for $12 at the Line & Lariat restaurant for breakfast, which doesn't actually get you very much. also valet is 30+ when including tax.

great hotel though overall, i had a corner room and the gym was good.

i'd been staying at the JW on Westheimer for most of my past trips to Houston, but i may switch over to this one for upcoming ones.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Gold; WN A-List Pref., CP; Marriott Plat.
This is a great hotel for business downtown. I am very glad it joined the Marriott family.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by eleeut
no concierge lounge. i rec'd certs for $12 at the Line & Lariat restaurant for breakfast, which doesn't actually get you very much.
Do you know if that's M-F only, or does it include the weekends?

Cheers.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do you know if that's M-F only, or does it include the weekends?

Cheers.
it was a M-W stay, so can't confirm for weekends.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
I did a mini-review on the ICON here after a Christmas visit, definately a quaint little place for fun in downtown Houston. I enjoyed it as well.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:12 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Is the internet here fast? I need to conduct a webinar from my room on Thursday, and I need a good connection!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:52 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Is the internet here fast? I need to conduct a webinar from my room on Thursday, and I need a good connection!
actually, my in room wi-fi was pretty spotty. it worked quite well in the lobby, but i'm imagining that won't fly for doing a webinar. i'm sure the wi-fi connectivity though will be from room to room though. if it isn't so good, perhaps you can ask the hotel for a space to conduct to accommodate?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by eleeut
actually, my in room wi-fi was pretty spotty. it worked quite well in the lobby, but i'm imagining that won't fly for doing a webinar. i'm sure the wi-fi will be from room to room though.
Ouch. Not what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the report.... I'll check the internet, and if it's no good, i'll get one closer to the elevator!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Ouch. Not what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the report.... I'll check the internet, and if it's no good, i'll get one closer to the elevator!
i was quite far from the elevator - one of the far end corner rooms which was nice, but there was a trade apparently.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:07 am

I'll add my two cents as I just wrapped a visit.

The experience was mostly positive. I will echo the OP in that there is no Marriott branding and nothing that makes you feel like you are in "just another Marriott." The hotel was quite full when I booked and the only available room has two doubles. At check-in, I asked if a King room was available - and was promptly told that it was not.

The room was larger than I anticipated and the bathroom giant (separate old school tub and shower). The decor and furnishings - in my opinion - struck a very nice chord between historical feeling and clean and functional. The bathroom with its black and honeycomb tile throughout is a perfect example. I didn't love the permanently affixed shampoo bottles on the wall as they didn't dispense as easily as they should, but now I'm getting a bit too granular.

I was disappointed in the spa and gym. I went down to take a run before a dinner meeting at about 5pm. The spa was abandoned - literally nobody there. The gym had trash everywhere - as if nobody had touched it since the morning rush 10 hours earlier. The machines were okay, but not great. Cybex treadmills that are not as stable as most hotel machines. There are individual TVs but one of the three did not work. Because the gym is below ground, there are no windows and the lighting is odd.

I had dinner at the bar which is adequate. All sandwiches are deep fried (fish and chicken) on the menu. I asked if they could grill the fish and - oddly - the answer was no. They did, however, offer to grill the chicken which ended up being blackened as was fine.

Beds are very very comfortable. Internet ranged from adequate to unacceptable (and I was right by the elevator).

$30 for parking really seems more punitive than expensive in this part of Houston.

All-in-all, I had a meeting downtown and would stay here again.

UPDATE: Two things....the trash was STILL in the gym 18 hours later. And, seems that they have moved to a coupon for a breakfast buffet (not a dollar-based credit). I asked for something that was not on the buffet (egg whites) which they did gratis. Nice.

Last edited by billycwhatup; Dec 5, 2012 at 9:43 am
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by billycwhatup

And, seems that they have moved to a coupon for a breakfast buffet (not a dollar-based credit).
I'll update the sticky. Do you know if this is for M-F only, or for weekends too?

Cheers.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was last there a couple of months ago and there was no weekend breakfast coupon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.