Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, AZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Airways Chairman, *A Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum

Hi all,

Searched the forums and didn't see much about the Phoenix Renaissance. Has anyone stayed there?

I found an article (http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...-marriott.html) saying that it's newly converted to Marriott from Wyndham property. Looks to be quite recent, as Bing Maps, Hipmunk, etc. don't even show it. Found it via MR.com.

Any recommendations for stays in Phoenix? I'm assuming the Ren is preferential, since I didn't see very many other full service options.

Thanks!

Last edited by RgrMurdoch; Jan 12, 2012 at 11:50 am
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Are you there for biz or leisure? There's the JW Desert Ridge Resort in the Phoenix area.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Heading over for business. I did see the JW, which looks fantastic (I adore JW properties) but needed something closer to downtown and Sky Harbor.

Thanks for mentioning the JW! If I stay over a weekend perhaps I can make it up there to explore.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Nice, I used to travel to downtown PHX on business all the time and a decent Marriott hotel was always a problem. Mostly gave in and stayed at the nondescript airport Marriott or travel in from a great Marriott in Mesa a few times. Good to have options...
Old Jan 12, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
The PHX Airport Marriott is a perfectly acceptable, if unremarkable hotel. The area around it is a bit dicey, though. The Mesa Marriott is also run-of-the-mill and rather isolated, but features some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.

I've not stayed there, but isn't there a Ritz-Carlton downtown?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
The PHX Airport Marriott is a perfectly acceptable, if unremarkable hotel. The area around it is a bit dicey, though. The Mesa Marriott is also run-of-the-mill and rather isolated, but features some of the best customer service I've ever experienced.
Remarkably, that is exactly how I would sum those two up. I've returned again & again to Mesa because of their great attitude and decent rates when the airport Marriott goes sky high.

I've also stayed in an OK old style RI in PHX & Scottsdale and the JW when it first opened but wouldn't recommend unless on vacation.

Anyway, this is great news if I ever return for business. Hit up Pizzeria Bianco, worth the wait & hype...
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
isn't there a Ritz-Carlton downtown?
The RC is at 24th Street & Camelback Road, about 8 miles from downtown.

If I might add, the Renaissance Glendale in Westgate City Center is a wonderful hotel, but not near downtown either.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I think my plan is going to be to attempt to negotiate a long term stay at the downtown Ren (love the location but the rate is too high for me) and if not stay out at the FS in Mesa. The FS by the airport is quite a bit higher rate wise, and with such good reviews from ya'll about the Mesa i think that trumps a SHS or CY elsewhere.

Cannot bring myself to switch over to a SPG or Hyatt property
Old Jan 19, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
You wouldn't be disappointed with the Mesa FS. The warm cookies and milk they deliver to your room the first night is a treat, the concierge lounge is on the better side in terms of selection and quality, and there's a dive sports bar right across the street that serves surprisingly good pub food. I enjoyed many stays there, despite the standard decor, lackluster location, and knowledge that there are tons of amazing resorts within spitting distance.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 6:31 pm

+1 on all accounts, nice suite upgrade automatically and a "goodie bag" too of toothpaste, mouthwish, etc & better than average PLT arrival gift. Sadly, last stay was Nov 2008, so YMMV. Was worth the trek into Phoenix twice a day for me, first for work, then pizza...
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Any have anymore thoughts on the Renaissance Glendale?

http://www.renaissanceglendale.com/

I am a gold member, so I was wondering what to expect. I stayed at a Renaissance this week, and I def enjoyed the treatment.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, EXP 2012, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN Companion Pass
Very good hotel

I stayed at the Phoenix Renaissance a month ago and will be going back. They do not have a concierge lounge but a little coffee/soda lounge on one of the higher floors. They give you vouchers for an appetizer at the bar.

The light rail stops across the street so you don't even have to hassle with the ridiculous rental car facility at PHX.

Plenty of variety of restaurants nearby.

This is my new choice of Marriott property in Phoenix - I used to stay at the airport Marriott.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by paddyboyfoley
I stayed at the Phoenix Renaissance a month ago and will be going back. They do not have a concierge lounge but a little coffee/soda lounge on one of the higher floors. They give you vouchers for an appetizer at the bar.

The light rail stops across the street so you don't even have to hassle with the ridiculous rental car facility at PHX.

Plenty of variety of restaurants nearby.

This is my new choice of Marriott property in Phoenix - I used to stay at the airport Marriott.
Thanks for the info. Ill need a rental because my meeting is on the border of AZ and CA. So no free breakfast and you are even a Plat? Interesting.

How about upgrades?

I'll probably book here. Can you recommend any other Marriott hotels in the area as well....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
no lounge does not mean no breakfast unless this prop is considered a "resort"

Originally Posted by alrvd83
Thanks for the info. Ill need a rental because my meeting is on the border of AZ and CA. So no free breakfast and you are even a Plat? Interesting.

How about upgrades?

I'll probably book here. Can you recommend any other Marriott hotels in the area as well....
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:24 pm

If it is July or August do not rule out Marriott JW Camelback Inn Resort since they have dropped the prices quite low in the past. It may be worth a direct call to the resort and ask for summer special local rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.