Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, AZ [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Renaissance Phoenix Downtown Hotel, AZ [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update! Much appreciated!

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
[Sunday night the lounge offerings were pretty poor compared to most lounges I have been to. Cheese and crackers only until about 6 then they put out a small salad spread. No fruit, and no small hot plates/dishes.]

I wonder if the limited spread in the lounge was due to the fact that it was a Sunday night. I stay at this hotel a few times a year for work, and if I remember correctly, I have seen hot food in the lounge, as well as desserts later in the night.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 3:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 10/11-10/12

(Hotel is on the right)

Location: The hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix. It's next to the Hyatt Regency (with rooftop revolving restaurant if that's your thing) and walking distance to the Diamondbacks stadium, Suns Arena and any of the other downtown attractions. Downtown Phoenix is slowly becoming a place with stuff to do at night but if you want to go to Tempe or Scottsdale, they're easy drives. Also, the light rail has a station a couple of blocks away.

Hotel: So funny story. In 1999 I first visited Phoenix and I stayed here when it was a Crowne Plaza. Then in 2007 I worked downtown and came here often when it was a Wyndham. The previous iterations of this hotel were dingy and disappointing but wow has it come a long way. The lobby is really well done, the common areas in the floors like great and the employees are incredibly friendly. The only drawback is valet parking is $29 but you can find nearby parking (the Hyatt garage was $16). The only odd factor is the ceilings are really low on the floors and in the room. Do note that elevators are undergoing repairs right now so 2/4 are INOP.

Check In: I had a wonderfully friendly, though slightly misguided agent. She came around the desk to show me to the elevators, made sure I had a downtown guide and interacted very well with me. Unfortunately, while she put me on the 19th floor which is the lounge floor and told me I'd have access...I didn't. Oh well.

Room: This is my first Renaissance in 14 years so I had no idea what to expect. However, I found the room very nice. Large, comfy bed, armchair, desk (for Sharon), big shower and bathroom. The only odd spot was the closet is in the separate sink area in the bathroom. No outlets by the bed unfortunately but at least the Wifi worked very well.

Other: My car was always brought out quickly and the valet guys asked every time if I needed directions. The lounge is open for breakfast and evening appetizers but as I couldn't get in I don't know what they had.

This is a great hotel and somehow, still a Category 4. I visit Phoenix often and plan to return.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 4:00 pm

Thanks for the trip report & pics. Much appreciated! And good to know it's a Cat 4!

Cheers.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:05 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by CMK10
Stay Report - 10/11-10/12

(Hotel is on the right)

Location: The hotel is located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix. It's next to the Hyatt Regency (with rooftop revolving restaurant if that's your thing) and walking distance to the Diamondbacks stadium, Suns Arena and any of the other downtown attractions. Downtown Phoenix is slowly becoming a place with stuff to do at night but if you want to go to Tempe or Scottsdale, they're easy drives. Also, the light rail has a station a couple of blocks away.

Hotel: So funny story. In 1999 I first visited Phoenix and I stayed here when it was a Crowne Plaza. Then in 2007 I worked downtown and came here often when it was a Wyndham. The previous iterations of this hotel were dingy and disappointing but wow has it come a long way. The lobby is really well done, the common areas in the floors like great and the employees are incredibly friendly. The only drawback is valet parking is $29 but you can find nearby parking (the Hyatt garage was $16). The only odd factor is the ceilings are really low on the floors and in the room. Do note that elevators are undergoing repairs right now so 2/4 are INOP.

Check In: I had a wonderfully friendly, though slightly misguided agent. She came around the desk to show me to the elevators, made sure I had a downtown guide and interacted very well with me. Unfortunately, while she put me on the 19th floor which is the lounge floor and told me I'd have access...I didn't. Oh well.

Room: This is my first Renaissance in 14 years so I had no idea what to expect. However, I found the room very nice. Large, comfy bed, armchair, desk (for Sharon), big shower and bathroom. The only odd spot was the closet is in the separate sink area in the bathroom. No outlets by the bed unfortunately but at least the Wifi worked very well.

Other: My car was always brought out quickly and the valet guys asked every time if I needed directions. The lounge is open for breakfast and evening appetizers but as I couldn't get in I don't know what they had.

This is a great hotel and somehow, still a Category 4. I visit Phoenix often and plan to return.
Thank you for the post. I am not sure why you didn't have access to lounge when you had a room on the same floor? I have never heard of that before.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Thank you for the post. I am not sure why you didn't have access to lounge when you had a room on the same floor? I have never heard of that before.
I'm not sure either, though I'm only Marriott Silver so I don't think I'm entitled to access.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:24 am

I'm not sure either, though I'm only Marriott Silver so I don't think I'm entitled to access.
That raises an interesting question. As a Silver you would not be entitled to access to the lounge normally. As a Silver who gets upgraded (vs. paid) to the exec level, does the upgrade to a level that normally provides access (or brekkie if the lounge is closed) override the Silver no access policy?

Cheers.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:03 am

It shouldn't matter if it was your first hotel stay ever that your grandmother bought for you on priceline for $39 including tax. You were assigned lounge floor you should of had access which is why the front desk told you that you had access. What made you think that you didn't? Your keys wouldn't open the lounge door?
Old Oct 19, 2015, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That raises an interesting question. As a Silver you would not be entitled to access to the lounge normally. As a Silver who gets upgraded (vs. paid) to the exec level, does the upgrade to a level that normally provides access (or brekkie if the lounge is closed) override the Silver no access policy?

Cheers.
Hmm I'm not sure. You guys are the Marriott experts, I've only recently started staying at them more than once a year.

It shouldn't matter if it was your first hotel stay ever that your grandmother bought for you on priceline for $39 including tax. You were assigned lounge floor you should of had access which is why the front desk told you that you had access. What made you think that you didn't? Your keys wouldn't open the lounge door?
Yeah when I went to get in my key wouldn't open the door, it was still activiated as I used it to get back into my room after. I guess in retrospect I should have gone down to the front desk to inquire more. Next time I will.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Just completed a 2 night stay on a conference rate. I am platinum.

I was upgraded to 17 floor suite. Very large room, with a floor to ceiling bookshelf separating the bedroom with living room. Basically the size of two rooms, with a full 3 piece couche set with large tv. Welcome gift of $10 voucher or 500 points. Waived internet fee of $13.95. Access to lounge on 19 floor, only open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday to Friday open in afternoon for Elite hour (food and $5 drinks). Lounge is very spacious and modern decor. Breakfast was 3 hot items, breads, fruit, yogurt, etc. Starbucks coffee. Waive housekeeping for 500 points. Bathroom was modern and spacious, only had shower, I do not take baths anyways.

Lobby bar has happy hour too with reduced price dishes and beer ($5-$7). Very popular lobby since on Friday and Saturday it was full of event people, etc. Very well staffed front desk and a lot of valet guys and bell boys. Service overall was great. Large gym. Heated pool but on the shady side of hotel, so actually cold area in December at all times of day. No hot tub. Uber to PHX was about $15-$20.

Area has lots of bars, restaurants close to convention center and arena where suns play, very lively. Construction of block 23 is underway which will bring in a large supermarket, more restaurants. Close to cityscape shopping and restaurants.

Overall a great stay.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Just completed a 2 night stay on a conference rate. I am platinum.

I was upgraded to 17 floor suite. Very large room, with a floor to ceiling bookshelf separating the bedroom with living room. Basically the size of two rooms, with a full 3 piece couche set with large tv. Welcome gift of $10 voucher or 500 points. Waived internet fee of $13.95. Access to lounge on 19 floor, only open for breakfast on Saturday and Sunday. Sunday to Friday open in afternoon for Elite hour (food and $5 drinks). Lounge is very spacious and modern decor. Breakfast was 3 hot items, breads, fruit, yogurt, etc. Starbucks coffee. Waive housekeeping for 500 points. Bathroom was modern and spacious, only had shower, I do not take baths anyways.

Lobby bar has happy hour too with reduced price dishes and beer ($5-$7). Very popular lobby since on Friday and Saturday it was full of event people, etc. Very well staffed front desk and a lot of valet guys and bell boys. Service overall was great. Large gym. Heated pool but on the shady side of hotel, so actually cold area in December at all times of day. No hot tub. Uber to PHX was about $15-$20.

Area has lots of bars, restaurants close to convention center and arena where suns play, very lively. Construction of block 23 is underway which will bring in a large supermarket, more restaurants. Close to cityscape shopping and restaurants.

Overall a great stay.
I appreciate your having provided this information. I visit PHX several times a year, and have always preferred the Hyatt Regency, because of the first class treatment that they offer to Diamonds, now Globalists. However, I will drop down a notch to Explorist at the end of February, and will have burned all but 60,000 of my accrued points by that time, so I am going "home" to Marriott, where I have LT Platinum status. The Ren seems to be a safe bet.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Hotel fully sold out online. Asked for a suite upgrade at check-in and placed in a King Executive Suite. When I arrived, I found a rollaway bed fully made in the living room next to the couch. Suite is basically two big rooms with no door separated by a wall with TVs on either side. TVs have fast Internet TV OS. Couch was quite hard and uncomfortable. I ended up sleeping in the rollaway bed because it had very comfortable FS Marriott-style linens (didn't actually try the main King bed). The rollaway mattress was also very plush.

Bathroom is large but only one vanity. Shower has extremely high pressure but very hard water (apparent from calcium on shower head).

Some wear and tear apparent in the rooms, but nothing major.

Service has been very friendly - weed smell incident on my floor resolved quickly after a phone call. Check-in agent very friendly. Asked for 1 PM checkout due to previous plans, which was granted.

Property is packed with sports competitions - lots of people hanging out on the 5th floor pool deck but I couldn't hear them from my room.

Lounge is closed on weekends, so breakfast is served sit-down in the bar. I was told to order anything off the menu - my eggs, bacon, English muffin, and hashbrowns were all very good.

No reason to not return.

FlyerJ likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:51 am

You had a King Bed but chose to sleep on the rollaway bed?
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Bravada04
You had a King Bed but chose to sleep on the rollaway bed?
Last night, I was going to lay down in both beds to see which I would sleep on. I tried the rollaway first and suddenly woke up 7 hours later without having the chance to try out the normal bed :-)
Bravada04 and yyzflyer like this.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:58 am

Ah...understood. Yeah, I do that sometimes.........usually when I am on my solo Vegas trips, except I wake up on the floor!
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.