Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

No points for long stays at Renaissance Hotels???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Melia Silver

Had an 18 nights stay at one of Renaissance hotels. No points posted. Called the hotel and the employee tells me that no points for a special rate called "long stay" are given? So, I give 18 nights to Marriott and get nothing. Does it make any sence? I did not find anything in terms and conditions re no points on long term stays. If this is true, is there is no obligation to inform me upfront before I book such a rate???
Old Aug 27, 2011, 6:47 am

Programs: MR Plat Lifetime, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres., National Exec.
Try using the missing stay report function from your on line account summery. This goes directly to Marriott Rewards rather than the hotel and may get you your credit.

If it is denied call the rewards service line and state your case, if the rate rules do not mention the lack of points they may agree and add the points to your account.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
One thing you can do prior to contacting MR: Try to make a similar reservation at the same property again. Look at the Rate Rules for the Long Stay and see if it states no MR or Elite nights for that rate. IF nothing is stated, print that and provide that to MR. This will help your case and get your points and nights.
Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, GHA Titanium, Melia Silver
Thanks for your input. I did both now: reported the issue to the MR and did a copy of the rules, which indeed mention NOTHING about missing points. Let's see how they reply...
Old Aug 31, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I've used long term stay rates many times with never a problem receiving points.
Old Aug 31, 2011, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bumburuck
Had an 18 nights stay at one of Renaissance hotels. No points posted. Called the hotel and the employee tells me that no points for a special rate called "long stay" are given? So, I give 18 nights to Marriott and get nothing. Does it make any sence? I did not find anything in terms and conditions re no points on long term stays. If this is true, is there is no obligation to inform me upfront before I book such a rate???
as long as it wasn't a wholesaler rate (and long term stay rates aren't) you'll earn credit..as suggested request a missing stay via the website
Old Aug 31, 2011, 10:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I don't get it. Unless something is 30 days, why wouldn't the OP get credit? People have been known to do long vacations - to me 18 days isn't outside the realm of work or vacation, and thus it should be a no-brainer.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:25 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by bumburuck
I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that the employee gave you wrong information. I doubt it was intentional; the person probably just mixed up which stays don't get credit.

I wouldn't have even called the hotel; I simply fill out the missing stay credit form and fax it along with copy of my hotel receipt. That's always fixed things for me.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 3:26 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I don't get it. Unless something is 30 days, why wouldn't the OP get credit? People have been known to do long vacations - to me 18 days isn't outside the realm of work or vacation, and thus it should be a no-brainer.

Cheers.
I've done 120+ days at the same location. A few of those stays is what got me LT Plat.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite

Cheers.
Sharon, MR has never had a maximum number of nights you can stay to earn credit (have you been staying at HOT or Hilton lately? ), ie if you stay 365 nights you get 365 night of credit and points
Old Sep 1, 2011, 6:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by socrates
Sharon, MR has never had a maximum number of nights you can stay to earn credit (have you been staying at HOT or Hilton lately? ), ie if you stay 365 nights you get 365 night of credit and points
Nope, but I thought I recalled reading on this forum that people had to check out at the 29 day mark in order to receive points. I vaguely remember thinking it might have been a RI under discussion, but can't be sure as it's been a while.

To me 18 days isn't a long stay (although if someone was staying in Podunk end of the world it might seem like it ), so there shouldn't be a question about getting points if the stay was booked properly through Marriott channel.

Cheers.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 8:21 am

Nope, but I thought I recalled reading on this forum that people had to check out at the 29 day mark in order to receive points. I vaguely remember thinking it might have been a RI under discussion, but can't be sure as it's been a while.

To me 18 days isn't a long stay (although if someone was staying in Podunk end of the world it might seem like it ), so there shouldn't be a question about getting points if the stay was booked properly through Marriott channel.

Cheers.
As a general rule of thumb, if you stay at a hotel for 30+ days, there is no sales tax. Not true in all states/municipalities but it's a pretty decent rule of thumb. It becomes more a rental vice hotel room; at least that's my understanding of the applicable laws.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:26 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
It puzzles me that when people are given blatantly false information by a Marriott employee, they don't bother to immediately politely challenge the mistaken employee ("Where in the rate rules for my reservation does it say no points?") or immedately escalate the situation to management (Employee X tells me that my rate earns no points. I think he/she is mistaken because it said nothing about this in the rate rules. Can you help me?")
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS

Cheers.
As mentioned above, 30 days is the magic number for dropping sales and other taxes in most areas. I've routinely stayed as long as 200 days at a property without issue.

The only thing to watch out for is special long term rates negotiated with the property's sales manager. Every once in a while we'll get a special rate at a hotel and the sales manager will attempt to exclude MR points. They almost always relent when challenged on this point. The vast majority of sales managers, however, know most business travellers are going to put a high priority on points when selecting a property so they don't even consider excluding points from Corp rates.
Old Sep 1, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, DL Silver (MM), HH LT Diamond, MR LT Platinum
Originally Posted by DillMan
As mentioned above, 30 days is the magic number for dropping sales and other taxes in most areas.
Above 6 months in Florida because of all the snowbirds.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.