Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Athens Ledra Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2001, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Athens Ledra Marriott

Hi folks!

Anyone here stayed at the Athens Ledra Marriott in Athens, Greece? I have a one-nighter (Fri night) stay, as a matter of fact, just planning to stay for 6-7 hours only, since I have to catch a 6AM flight to FRA the next day and kindof planning on partying in Athens that night.

Question:
Since PointSaver does not apply to this hotel in March, is it worth spending 20K points for this property for such a short period of time?

Thanks in advance!
Jamester
Old Jan 19, 2001, 7:00 am

Actually, you would need to spend 30,000, since this is a choice location. It all depends on the rate and what else you could do with the points.
Old Jan 19, 2001, 9:40 am
GG

We stayed there Oct 99 for a week on points, and would go back. HOWEVER, be warned that its location leaves a lot to be desired. It's a long way from the airport - the city center hotels are even further, but once in the central city, you're there. The Marriott runs a free shuttle bus to a location near Syntagma Square, but it stops running at 6 or 7pm.

There are just a few neighborhood restaurants in the area around the Marriott, and partying potential is virtually nil. We did have a very enjoyable dinner with a LH crew who were at the Marriott - got to talking with the FAs on the downtown shuttle - but that kind of serendipity is scarcely something you can count on.

For a one night stay, I'd either take a chance on something inexpensive in the Plaka (lots of stuff on-line) - many of the little hotels looked perfectly cute and clean, or probably go to the Hilton. Much more central location, popular rooftop bar (tho' the latter is mere heresay, we didn't patronize it).

Old Jan 19, 2001, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Thank you Hawkeye and GG...

I think for a mere 6-8 hour stay, I'll go find me an el-cheapo place in Athens, preferably by the airport. I do, however, have a 3-night stay at the Hilton Athens booked earlier in the week (so I'll get back to you on that rooftop bar)

Thx
Jamester
Old May 2, 2002, 4:15 am

Programs: SPG-Marriott Titanium Elite
Marriott in Athens

Good day!

I'll be travelling to Athens, Greece on holidays in July and I was wondering how would you rate the Marriott Lendra in Athens as far as amenities and location to the main things to see in Athens

Looking forward to read your inputs.

Thanks!
Old May 2, 2002, 9:10 am
Patron

Located in the heart of the business district, the car/hotel shuttle bus ride to the city center and the Acropolis takes at least ten minutes. If location is a main issue for you, skip the Ledra.

Rooms are nice but nothin spectacular. Over 2/3 of rooms have fabulous view of Acropolis. Ledra Marriott is the only 5 star hotel in the city with rooftop, outdoor pool with spectacular view of the Acropolis.

Old May 2, 2002, 10:32 am
GG

We've stayed there twice, and like it, but Patron is right about the location. It is possible to walk to the Acropolis (we've done it) but it's a looong walk, and would be very very hot and unpleasant in July. It's also quite a long walk to the nearest subway station. And the worst aspect, for those who might like to walk, is that the sidewalks vary from bad to non-existant. Not pedestrian friendly at all.

The shuttle bus's last run is about 7:30 pm, so that's a minor problem for going to dinner downtown or in other areas with interesting restaurants. But taxis are cheap and generally reliable.

The Marriott's own restaurants are pretty good. Somewhat bizarrely to my mind, there's a Polynesian one that's quite highly rated (and expensive) - but it always seems a shame not to have more scope in one's dining.

The staff is pleasant; the Concierge Lounge is nice, and has good breakfast things and hors d'ouevres. Not much else to add.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
Athens Ledra Marriott

This property has always been one of my favorites. Just returned from there, however, with disappointed feeling. First, the concierge lounge was closed (the sign said for renovation but was later told that the attendant was on vacation). As a PM I had to "beg" for comp breakfast (I always thought the rule was breakfast in the restaurant when the lounge is closed). There's considerable construction noise (jackhammers, drills, etc.) due to both interior and exterior construction. Turndown service did not exist. All this for $129 Euro per nightg PLUS taxes. Metropolitan Hotel, another 5-star property 5 km away and close to beaches, had promtion rate of $106 Euro including breakfast and taxes. In retrospect, probably should have stayed there. Be aware, staying at a hotel during construction isn't pleasant and unfortunately, Marriott never mentioned when making reservation to expect service disruptions.
Old Aug 15, 2002, 4:40 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Well, I've never been impressed by the Ledra Marriott and I have only come there since the closure, for renovation of the Hilton. The construction work has made it even less pleasant as half the ground floor, including the lobby bar, is closed. Reception staff is somewhat impersonal and the Zephyros restaurant is nothing special. On the other hand, I had a very nice dinner at the nearby Intercontinental on the top floor with a splendiv view of the Acropolis. I will try the hotel on my next stay. As for the rate, 129 Euros is a very good rate, as I usually have to pay between 165 Euros and 229 Euros (before taxes).

[This message has been edited by JOUY31 (edited 08-15-2002).]
Old Aug 16, 2002, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I was surprised to read this post as I was at the hotel in late May and was very happy with the reception I received. Admittedly, I didn't have a long stay as it was a one nite stop after coming back from the island on a 2 week holiday. I remember wishing I could have stayed longer during the long cab ride to the airport very early the next morning. But as of then, I didn't notce any construction at all.
Old Aug 16, 2002, 9:39 pm
GG

happyw - thanks for the info! We've been contented customers there in the past. If we decide to book back there for in the fall, we're at least warned.

Olympic fever strikes again?

You're right - staying at any hotel during renovations can be unpleasant. Just curious: How did you book?

JOUY31 - yes, I believe there are better hotels in Athens*, but we're Marriott people, what can I say? We would probably have never made our first trip there without the Ledra. Now we're hooked on Greece. After the Olympics, we might try the Hilton** but the Marriott folks have been pretty decent.

*especially for location
------------------
The Delta Flyers' Guide
E-mail on the Flyers' Guide site
Old Aug 17, 2002, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler; Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier
GG--Booked online.

Certainly the best thing about the Ledra is its spectacular view from the rooftop pool. BTW, George the doorman (the younger one as there are two) got us a mini bus for my part of six back to the airport for $50 EURO. Taxi is about 21 Euro if you are fortunate to find an honest driver. Yes, the meters are required but several times I discovered that the driver as he approached the destination jacked up the meter price (by remote control I think) when I wasn't looking at the meter. Also there's a trio of crooks working between the Marriott and the Intercontinental posing as "passport control police" showing phony credentials and badges, asking to see your passport as well as your wallet to see what currency you have. I reported the incident to the Marriott security staff and they told me there's been a big problem in the past few months with these crooks but thought the police had taken care of it. Not so!
Old Jan 2, 2003, 6:20 pm
prh

Programs: AA Platinum Plus; One World Emerald
Ledra Marriott in Athens vs. Intercontinental Athens

These two hotels are essentially down the block from each other. How do they compare -- I would be staying Club Level at the Intercontinental or Executive level at the Marriott?
Old Jan 2, 2003, 7:22 pm

I-C: larger, older, busier hotel with a large lobby, taxis (and sometime busses) outside, etc. Undergoing some renovations. Staff seemed more blasé than at the Marriott IMHO.

Marriott: recently renovated (2000?), relatively small, almost posh (including rooms), feels like a boutique hotel compared to some large Marriotts; staff was very polite to me. Relatively limited eating options, an expensive but nice polynesian restaurant in the basement and a cafe-style one in the mezzanine. Taxis must be called (resulting in a wait at some hours).

I prefer this Marriott (which I rate above most Marriotts), but wouldn't mind staying at this I-C (which is an average or slightly below average I-C) either.

Good rates can be had at the Ledra when booking far in advance.
Old Jan 2, 2003, 8:29 pm

Location: DFW, TX, USA - AA EXP, DL PM/MM, SPG PLT, MC/HH GLD
Please refer to my recent trip report on the IC Athens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.