FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Best Category 4 hotels (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1190685-best-category-4-hotels.html)

frisbeeace Nov 15, 2005 5:43 am

What is your best category 4 Marriott ?

My picks are Marriott Berlin, Germany and Marriott Plaza Buenos Aires, Argentina. Which are yours?

[Moderator's note: This thread was started a long time ago! Marriott has changed the categories of many hotels over the years, generally in an upward direction. Some hotels described as category 4 in posts are no longer category 4. Please refer to the Wiki for the latest information.]

ibopm Jul 2, 2014 12:58 pm

Best Category 1-4 Hotels

I see a lot of posts about Category 1-5, but my cert is for 1-4. I was wondering where I should go, since I am sure you all know how abysmal the selection is for category 1-4.

ibopm Jul 2, 2014 1:58 pm

So this list is clearly very outdated. I've checked a good number of these hotels, and they're far above category 4 now. Anyone want to update the thread with some newer data points?

NJUPINTHEAIR Jul 2, 2014 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by ibopm (Post 23132650)
So this list is clearly very outdated. I've checked a good number of these hotels, and they're far above category 4 now. Anyone want to update the thread with some newer data points?

That's a great idea!

After you. :p

ibopm Jul 2, 2014 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR (Post 23133001)
That's a great idea!

After you. :p

I honestly have not been able to find any decent Category 4s around major cities. All of the ones are always pretty far from city centres. New York seems to be the only exception.

NJUPINTHEAIR Jul 2, 2014 5:49 pm

TownePlace Suites San Antonio and C/Y Fredericksburg, VA Historic district.

llbad Jul 2, 2014 7:23 pm

Bend, OR is an incredible vacation area and has cat 4 properties - although I am not sure how nice they are.

nineworldseries Jul 2, 2014 8:13 pm

Renaissance Phoenix?

joetro Jul 2, 2014 9:57 pm

Renaissance Phoenix looks great, but it seems to have no weekend availability at times. Maybe they have minimum stays?

NJUPINTHEAIR Jul 3, 2014 2:56 am

R/I Montreal Westmount @ Cat 3.

Brendan Jul 3, 2014 12:13 pm

Ren Phoenix just went down 5 --> 4 this spring. I just stayed there on Sun. May 25 because my friends were playing in the USA Volleyball Nationals & the players' party was within walking distance. But before that I stayed in Scottsdale at the Hyatt Place--better weekend nightlife!
Some great hotels for the night of a concert or sports match: Residence Inn Cleveland (4,) Courtyard Downtown Detroit (3 or 4.)

SkiAdcock Jul 3, 2014 12:56 pm

Thanks to tsy90 for creating a wiki (current as of today, July 3, 2014) of all the Cat 4 properties worldwide! Much appreciated!

Cheers.

MDtR-Chicago Jul 3, 2014 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23138428)
Thanks to tsy90 for creating a wiki (current as of today, July 3, 2014) of all the Cat 4 properties worldwide!

That's certainly going to make it easier to comment on properties...

Albany: SpringHill Suites Albany-Colonie

Have stayed here a few times. Solid property, decent location, especially for the malls. Generally my first choice in Albany, unless...

Latham: Residence Inn Albany Airport

Better Albany location for the close-in suburbs or Troy / Schenectady. Old style RI with ~15 buildings on a rural campus. There is one diner in walking distance, else you're driving. Buildings toward the front of the campus avoid the airport noise and top floor rooms are much quieter. Or...

East Greenbush: Residence Inn Albany East Greenbush/Tech Valley

Newer style single-building RI. Great as a stopping point when driving from, say, Buffalo to Boston. Set back from the highway in a wooded area. Lots of parking. There is also a Cat 3 Fairfield around the corner that's solid, with a Denny's and a Cracker Barrel in the parking lot. If I need to be on that side of town and don't need a ton of space, I take the Fairfield, as it's easier to get on/off the highway and it has a bit better layout (taller instead of spread out).

Corning: Fairfield Inn Corning Riverside

Stayed once years ago. It's NOT near downtown Corning - it's right next to the highway so it was more of a crash space, but fine at that. For downtown Corning, I'd rather stay at the Radisson for its excellent location.

East Syracuse: SpringHill Suites Syracuse Carrier Circle

Stayed 3 years ago before an early flight. Got great (brief) sleep. Not really close to any Syracuse attractions but has lots of parking.

bdschobel Jul 3, 2014 3:29 pm

Today, I added the following note to the first post in this thread:

This thread was started a long time ago! Marriott has changed the categories of many hotels over the years, generally in an upward direction. Some hotels described as category 4 in posts are no longer category 4. Please refer to the Wiki for the latest information.

Bruce

kklems Jul 3, 2014 4:48 pm

Just redeemed 2 cat 1-4 for Overland Park, KS (Kansas city area) full serve Marriott, cash rate $199 night. Nice property with an indoor/outdoor pool and a couple of nice restaurants on site.