FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards-427/)
-   -   Marriott CEO: U.S. unfriendly to travelers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-rewards/1156172-marriott-ceo-u-s-unfriendly-travelers.html)

Hannibal Lecter Dec 4, 2010 12:43 pm

Marriott CEO: U.S. unfriendly to travelers

Hotel-chain executive says inhospitable policies are very costly
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mar...ble-2010-11-30

AMA Dec 4, 2010 1:26 pm

Good article. Common sense, which means it won't go far in DC.

With all of the bad press about getting groped at airport security these days, I'd guess tourists aren't gonna think of the U.S. as their first choice.

beardedgeologist Dec 4, 2010 1:29 pm

... and charging for ESTA...

simong Dec 5, 2010 12:03 am

Originally Posted by beardedgeologist (Post 15381228)
... and charging for ESTA...

Indeed which was lobbied for by.. Marriott :rolleyes:

CarolDisney1 Dec 5, 2010 1:37 pm

Heck they don't even want to let the citizens back in. If there is a way to be less "user friendly" immigration can find it!

Smart Monkey Dec 5, 2010 3:10 pm

I don't think the 14USD for the ESTA will put too many people off visiting the US when it usually costs from 600USD plus to fly from Europe and more if visiting from Asia.

SM

Fredrik74 Dec 5, 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Smart Monkey (Post 15386832)
I don't think the 14USD for the ESTA will put too many people off visiting the US when it usually costs from 600USD plus to fly from Europe and more if visiting from Asia.

SM

It's not the costs. It's what the US government thinks of visitors.

bdschobel Dec 6, 2010 12:32 pm

Mr. Marriott is absolutely correct. Maybe somebody will listen to him.

Bruce

pinniped Dec 6, 2010 6:56 pm

I don't disagree with the article, but Marriott itself is becoming less and less hospitable as time passes. Costly, inhospitable policies?!? I can list a few of those... ;)

cyberdad Dec 6, 2010 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 15392703)
Mr. Marriott is absolutely correct. Maybe somebody will listen to him.

Bruce

+1

TrojanHorse Dec 7, 2010 3:57 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 15395299)
I don't disagree with the article, but Marriott itself is becoming less and less hospitable as time passes. Costly, inhospitable policies?!? I can list a few of those... ;)

you beat me too it

pot kettle black

nsane1 Dec 7, 2010 5:57 pm

Good common-sense article, however, I don't feel over "loved" going anywhere in Europe, especially Paris. But true, it's not hard to get in...

pinniped Dec 7, 2010 6:10 pm

I've never had a bad experience in Paris, but to me I think the underlying point is this: I've never planned a vacation or business trip based on my perceptions of the destination country's airport security or immigration logistics. As long as I knew I would be permitted to enter, then it was a nonissue.

Canadians always grill the hell out of me. Brits can be kind of tough, but they freely allow American citizens to use their fast-track, so it's no longer an issue. French and Germans have never really asked me any questions. The guy in Bermuda seemed highly concerned what hotel I was planning on staying in. The Mexicans have always been very friendly and efficient.

But none of this has ever really impacted my travels. It's not like I've done fewer Canadian trips than I otherwise would have if their guys never asked me any questions. It's not like I'm planning extra trips to places I wouldn't otherwise go because of friendly airport security people.

Again, I don't disagree with the basic premise that we shouldn't be unnecessarily d*ckish, but I question any dramatic assertion that billions of dollars have been lost because of it.

Helsinki Flyer Dec 8, 2010 2:47 am

Itīs not that most Europeans have difficulties entering the US. The 15$ for ESTA is peanuts, but that too sends a negative signal. Itīs the Chinese, Indians and the rest who are not in the visa waiver program. Youīd need them to visit more often. The ones that are only visiting and not trying to stay illegally would spend serious money.

TuxTraveller Dec 8, 2010 3:03 am

I know from speaking to family and friends that they avoid the US for Europe-LatAm trips where in the past they used to always transit in the US. I often find myself doing the same and everyone is happy to even pay a premium to avoid the US.

Despite the ESTA fee being tiny, it is the message that it sends. I have another 2 years free as I renewed mine the day before the fee was introduced, but I still only travel to the US if that is my final destination (or part of a MR).

I can't speak for all europeans, but I definitely think we're talking a quite significant amount of travel spend that's going elsewhere due to the attitude of US immigration and the policies that support it!

pinniped Dec 8, 2010 5:39 am

What "message" does it send? Lots of countries have a nominal entry/exit fee. I paid one in Cairo a few months back... I've paid them in many parts of the world.

I think the fee is lame but I dispute the original assertion that it's changing travel decision models in any significant way. If a large percentage of Euro-LatAm connecting traffic is now moving away from U.S. airports, where is it all going? Are those airlines that are benefiting from the activity adding flights, seeing increased profits/revenues in their financial reports? Are those airports impacted seeing a need to rapidly expand, build more runways, etc.?

In any case, even if we lost a bunch of connecting traffic - so much that entire flights were being canceled, foreign airlines were pulling out of the U.S. because they couldn't fill seats, etc. - that wouldn't affect Marriott's revenues or profits. (Maybe it'd impact the airport vendors...)

Bottom line: if you have business in New York or Chicago - or a desire to visit them for vacation - surly O'Hare security or a $15 fee isn't going to impact your decision to go.

darthbimmer Dec 8, 2010 8:27 am

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 15405208)
I think the fee is lame but I dispute the original assertion that it's changing travel decision models in any significant way.

Bill Marriott's essay, linked to in the OP, said nothing about the fees. I agree with you that fee amount is at most a nuisance compared to the overall costs of international travel. Bill faulted the time and effort required to get an entry visa. Let's keep focused on that and not get tied up in negligible fees.

I have seen the visa problem in my own business. My company has partners in many Asian countries. We've wanted to bring them to the US for periodic training and meetings. But visas are too difficult to get for those from some countries. Instead, we've been running our meetings in Hong Kong. US businesses miss out on thousands of dollars of revenue from hotel rooms, food, transit, and sightseeing per person every time that happens. Multiply that across all the businesses shifting international meetings and conferences to countries that are easier for international travelers to get into.

bdschobel Dec 8, 2010 8:36 am

I agree. A friend of mine is a very successful professional working for a Big Four accounting firm in Thailand, where he was born and raised. He has never visited the U.S. because getting a visa requires lining up outside the U.S. embassy at 5 am and waiting all day for an interview. A significant fee is required, whether or not the visa is approved. And he misses a whole day of work (and associated client billings). It's just not worth it to him. And he's not the only one. The U.S. is foolish to make the country so inaccessible to people like that.

Bruce

SkiAdcock Dec 8, 2010 10:36 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer (Post 15406002)
Bill Marriott's essay, linked to in the OP, said nothing about the fees. I agree with you that fee amount is at most a nuisance compared to the overall costs of international travel. Bill faulted the time and effort required to get an entry visa. Let's keep focused on that and not get tied up in negligible fees.

I have seen the visa problem in my own business. My company has partners in many Asian countries. We've wanted to bring them to the US for periodic training and meetings. But visas are too difficult to get for those from some countries. Instead, we've been running our meetings in Hong Kong. US businesses miss out on thousands of dollars of revenue from hotel rooms, food, transit, and sightseeing per person every time that happens. Multiply that across all the businesses shifting international meetings and conferences to countries that are easier for international travelers to get into.

+1 & to also echo TuxTraveller. And add on TSA & the NOS & enhanced patdowns & you've got folk definitely looking at locations other than the US.

Cheers.