Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott CEO: U.S. unfriendly to travelers

Old Dec 4, 10, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Hotel-chain executive says inhospitable policies are very costly
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mar...ble-2010-11-30
Old Dec 4, 10, 1:26 pm
AMA

Good article. Common sense, which means it won't go far in DC.

With all of the bad press about getting groped at airport security these days, I'd guess tourists aren't gonna think of the U.S. as their first choice.
Old Dec 4, 10, 1:29 pm

Programs: LH *G (SEN), VS Silver, BA Silver, Goldpointplus Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor silver, *ACP
... and charging for ESTA...
Old Dec 5, 10, 12:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, QF Silver (Club), Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by beardedgeologist View Post
... and charging for ESTA...
Indeed which was lobbied for by.. Marriott
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Heck they don't even want to let the citizens back in. If there is a way to be less "user friendly" immigration can find it!
Old Dec 5, 10, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA LfGLD, HH Gold, PC Plt, Marriott Plt
I don't think the 14USD for the ESTA will put too many people off visiting the US when it usually costs from 600USD plus to fly from Europe and more if visiting from Asia.

SM
Old Dec 5, 10, 3:31 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by Smart Monkey View Post
I don't think the 14USD for the ESTA will put too many people off visiting the US when it usually costs from 600USD plus to fly from Europe and more if visiting from Asia.

SM
It's not the costs. It's what the US government thinks of visitors.
Old Dec 6, 10, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Mr. Marriott is absolutely correct. Maybe somebody will listen to him.

Bruce
Old Dec 6, 10, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't disagree with the article, but Marriott itself is becoming less and less hospitable as time passes. Costly, inhospitable policies?!? I can list a few of those...
Old Dec 6, 10, 7:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by bdschobel View Post
Mr. Marriott is absolutely correct. Maybe somebody will listen to him.

Bruce
+1
Old Dec 7, 10, 3:57 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by pinniped View Post
I don't disagree with the article, but Marriott itself is becoming less and less hospitable as time passes. Costly, inhospitable policies?!? I can list a few of those...
you beat me too it

pot kettle black
Old Dec 7, 10, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
Good common-sense article, however, I don't feel over "loved" going anywhere in Europe, especially Paris. But true, it's not hard to get in...
Old Dec 7, 10, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never had a bad experience in Paris, but to me I think the underlying point is this: I've never planned a vacation or business trip based on my perceptions of the destination country's airport security or immigration logistics. As long as I knew I would be permitted to enter, then it was a nonissue.

Canadians always grill the hell out of me. Brits can be kind of tough, but they freely allow American citizens to use their fast-track, so it's no longer an issue. French and Germans have never really asked me any questions. The guy in Bermuda seemed highly concerned what hotel I was planning on staying in. The Mexicans have always been very friendly and efficient.

But none of this has ever really impacted my travels. It's not like I've done fewer Canadian trips than I otherwise would have if their guys never asked me any questions. It's not like I'm planning extra trips to places I wouldn't otherwise go because of friendly airport security people.

Again, I don't disagree with the basic premise that we shouldn't be unnecessarily d*ckish, but I question any dramatic assertion that billions of dollars have been lost because of it.
Old Dec 8, 10, 2:47 am

Its not that most Europeans have difficulties entering the US. The 15$ for ESTA is peanuts, but that too sends a negative signal. Its the Chinese, Indians and the rest who are not in the visa waiver program. Youd need them to visit more often. The ones that are only visiting and not trying to stay illegally would spend serious money.
Old Dec 8, 10, 3:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
I know from speaking to family and friends that they avoid the US for Europe-LatAm trips where in the past they used to always transit in the US. I often find myself doing the same and everyone is happy to even pay a premium to avoid the US.

Despite the ESTA fee being tiny, it is the message that it sends. I have another 2 years free as I renewed mine the day before the fee was introduced, but I still only travel to the US if that is my final destination (or part of a MR).

I can't speak for all europeans, but I definitely think we're talking a quite significant amount of travel spend that's going elsewhere due to the attitude of US immigration and the policies that support it!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: