Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Guest relations: [email protected]
Guest services: [email protected]

Half of the rooms post-renovation have desks; half of the rooms do not. If a desk is important to you, request it in your reservation or at check-in.
Print Wikipost

Amsterdam Marriott [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2002, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
Amsterdam Marriott [Master Thread]

It's been awhile since there were any posts about the Amsterdam Marriott - NOT the REN. Does anyone have any recent experience at the hotel ?

Any suggestions about better / larger rooms or the hotel in general would be appreciated. I'm not a MR premium member so an upgrade to club seems unlikely.

Traveling there in early Oct on business.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2002, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Yes - I stayed there for 4 days in June 2002.

I am not sure I recieved an upgrade as I was on an award ticket but the room was perfectly adequate. I was on the 5th floor facing downtown. (I requested it in advance and as a plat. member was given it) It is definately worth seeing if you can get access to the concierge lounge as it is one of the best I have seen. Great picture windows overlooking the canals and great food.

While the hotel is perfectly fine, the best thing about it is the location. It is perfectly situated for business and touring. Walk everywhere! Have a good trip!
Old Sep 18, 2002, 11:32 pm

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
I stayed at the Marriott at the beginning of September (as usual, I checked in without showing my Platinum card, without asking for an upgrade and/or amenity):
- I stayed one night; got a good weekend-rate (booked via web - so the hotel had my profile with status)
- upgrade to the lounge level. The room was nice, new and - as usual with Marriott - very functual.
- platinum amenity: water, chocolate, fruit basket, cashew nuts
- lounge: offers a varienty of soft drinks, you've to pay for alcoholic beverages, breakfast was quite good for a lounge

I arrived early in the morning (10.00am). The room was already prepared. The service was superb in the hotel.
Express check-out worked very well: my bill was correct - so I could leave without going to the cashier.

As already mentioned in older threads: the location of the hotel is very good:
-Public transport is 50m in front of the hotel
- Leidseplein offers a variety of night live (actually there are two interesting night live destricts: Leidseplein and Jordaan)
- Rijksmuseum http://www.rijksmuseum.nl/ and Van Gogh museum http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/ are in walking distance (5-10min)

Thumbs up for my recent stay. I'll return.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:46 am

Platinum upgrade Marriott AMS - what a pain!!

Marriott Platinum member, booked at the Marriott Amsterdam, Leiseplein, a regular deluxe room, through Marriott's website. Checked in 7 Oct through 10 Oct. Upon checkin, refused to upgrade to exec. level, although was given club access. They stated no exec. rooms avail. Checked online and thru Marriott reservations, found exec. level rooms were indeed avail. Went to front desk, spoke with front desk mgr, who stated they expected to sell out the exec. level rooms, thus no upgrade. He acknowledged they had not done so, and for entire stay, exec rooms were avail. But again, he stated they thought they would sell. Finally, as a "good will gesture" they put me on the exec floor (better beds and amenities). First time this happenned to me as PLT at any Marriott. Is this normal?? Where they can refuse to upgrade rooms for PLT's although avail for stay?
Old Oct 13, 2003, 5:17 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
MileGuy

You may want to read the response from Marriott corporate on this matter just last week in this thread. It is the bottom half of the first post.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/003300.html
Old Oct 13, 2003, 8:29 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Yes, this is very very normal at Marriott. Thus, why I have switched to staying with Starwood as much as possible. As a Platinum for over 3 years now (first 2 years at over 150+ nights each), I have only received a suite upgrade 2 times. Most US and Canadian hotels do upgrade to the Concierge floor though, but is not the case in Europe or Asia. I have stay at the New York Marriott Eastside (I really do like the hotel) at least 15 times (and am there today as well) this year, without ever seeing a Conceirge level room or a suite.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, United Silver
Stayed there for 2 nights about 18 months ago. Got an upgrade to a suite on the club level without asking. Maybe they have a recent change of management and/or policy.

Amsterdam hotel, that is.

[This message has been edited by boltor (edited 10-18-2003).]
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:16 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks for the heads up I was just going to book 5 nites there. I am going to book it at the Swissotel instead who always goes out of their way to upgrade me.
Even if I only do 14 nites a year there!
Pathetic policy and sad. What a way to destroy the loyalty effect.

------------------
AA & Starwood,Marriott Platinum
Hyatt, Hilton Diamond
Swissotel Club Gold
U/A 1k
Old Jan 16, 2004, 1:54 pm

Amsterdam Marriott

Anyone stayed at the Amsterdam Marriott? I have three nights there in mid February. Any opinions/thoughts/comments negative or positive?
Old Jan 16, 2004, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
First of all welcome to FT.

And before upgrademe can respond I would suggest you try this link located in the upper right of this screen....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forumcgi/se...tro&default=63

I think you will find plenty of information to answer any question you may have. The search function will bring up links that will answer most of your questions. If you find one that is close but no cigar, asked the question in that thread. This keeps the number of threads small and makes searching for answers in the future easier to find.
If the search does not answer your questions I'm sure folks here can answer them for you.

Again welcome.

[This message has been edited by longing4piedmont (edited Jan 16, 2004).]
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Avios
Cool Amsterdam Marriott Advice

To all:

I was wondering if anyone can make a recommendation for a stay in Amsterdam?

I can choose either the Renaissance or the Amsterdam Marriott...does anyone have any experience with either (or both)?

Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2 Million-miler , SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Have stayed at Am Mt. many times. Found it to be good hotel/good location for sights and museums etc. Never stayed at Ren.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:07 am
Community Director Emerita

Here is a lengthy thread on the topic. Go to the last two pages to find the most recent discussion.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I stayed at the Marriott over the summer on SkiAdcock's recommendation. We liked it a lot - nice lounge with substantial snacks and free (incl alcoholic) drinks, great location, etc. Hotel looks old from the outside but everything inside is new. We were upgraded to a large room - there are two rooms on each floor which are larger than the rest. Had a nice view, as well.

Can't comment on the Ren, but we liked the Marriott a lot.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
MC over Ren at this time

Not knowing when your traveling can affect this, but right now the Renaisance is under a major renovation. the whole of the first level is affected, lobby, restaurant, and public area as well as rooms are torn up and being replaced. The exec lounge too is in a temp. location. Not sure when they will finish all this and no doubt it will be grand in the end, but right now it's a mess. Stay with the Marriott for now.
Both hotels are well located, but in different areas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.