FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Phoenix Downtown [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/864337-sheraton-phoenix-downtown-master-thread.html)

gfowler-ord-1k Sep 9, 2008 9:06 am

Sheraton Phoenix Downtown [Master Thread]

The Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel is opening Sep 30, 2008 so I am starting the master thread. The hotel has a club floor, suites and a lounge.
Sheraton Club Lounge

Club guests also have special access to the Club Lounge. A relaxing, upscale space, the Club Lounge offers complimentary breakfast, afternoon hors d’oeuvres and a variety of beverage options. Take advantage of the private Club Lounge where you can connect with friends, meet with your team, or simply relax by catching your favorite TV show. Need to get some work done? A copier/fax/printer and complimentary office supplies are ready to go.
The Grand Opening Offer rate is $101+ (USD 113.39 all in), normal prepaid is $229+, BAR is $289+.

http://arizona.destinations.starwood...SI_1703_AZ_RSS
See Phoenix like never before when you stay at the new Sheraton Phoenix Downtown Hotel. Our 31-story hotel redefines the city's skyline with its cloudlike white rooftop that turns stunningly translucent at night. Located in the heart of the city, you're minutes from great shopping, entertainment, sporting events and more! Enjoy exceptional city views from our restaurants, a large outdoor pool and onsite fitness center.

Be one of our first guests and receive a special room rate from $101 per night. This offer is available to the first 101 rooms reserved, so book today!

* 101 Rooms for $101
* Signature Sweet SleeperTM Bed
* Skyline, city and mountain views
* 100% smoke-free rooms
* Book now for stays October 1 through October 31, 2008

To make a reservation click the Reserve link or call 1-866-716-8134 and ask for rate plan FMOPEN.

AZ Travels the World Oct 6, 2008 10:23 am

This hotel is now open

A couple of recent articles from the Arizona Republic about the opening of the new Sheraton Phoenix Downtown:

'Republic' reporter surveys classy Sheraton next door

by Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic

As assignments go, this one was pretty cushy.

Anonymously check into the Sheraton Phoenix Downtown on opening night and report back on the plush new pillows, the oversized gym, the restaurant, the Internet cafe, the lap pool, you name it. One colleague wanted a rundown on the minibar.

Let me start by saying this overnight stay didn't break the corporate bank: I snagged a $101 opening special on the hotel's Web site (it's still available this month). I walked over, avoiding the $23 overnight valet-parking fee. And I brought my own wine but never got to open it - more on that later.

This was old-fashioned neighborhood reporting. The Sheraton is so close to The Arizona Republic that we can make out guests' swim strokes from the ninth-floor newsroom.

My first impression: The new neighbor is a classy, welcome addition that will not disappoint the conventioneers that are expected to fill its 1,000 rooms night after night in peak season. (Entire article can be found here.)

and

Sheraton aims to redefine image

by Dawn Gilbertson
The Arizona Republic

Guests staying at the Sheraton Downtown Phoenix won't just be checking into a new hotel. They will be checking out a new brand of Sheraton.

The chain, owned by hotel giant Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide Inc., is undergoing a critical, multibillion dollar makeover, with Phoenix the face of it.

The 1,000-room convention hotel, the biggest Sheraton to open since 1992 and now among the chain's largest hotels, is the first to feature the brand's modern new look from head to toe.

Guests will be the first to sleep in Sheraton's newest bed and to work out in its large, custom fitness center. The lobby has an Internet cafe - a feature the chain offers at only three locations. (Entire article can be found here.)

dankyone Oct 6, 2008 4:15 pm

It is my general practice NOT to stay at new hotels within a month of opening, but I was able to snag a $101 rate so I decided to chance it. Checking in tomorrow...has anyone been yet? I wonder how their Plat treatment will be...will report back.

vsop Oct 6, 2008 4:55 pm

I was at this property for a week before opening setting up the Digital Displays for the Meeting spaces and I can say its a very nice hotel. The Lounge on the 28th Fl is very nice, has a great view and the food is very good for a lounge.

The link as well at the lounge have Dell XPS computers for your use as well as wireless access. I was also told that the club floors will have free wifi where the rest of the floor will be paid

acnev Oct 6, 2008 5:07 pm

Stayed there for one night last week. Nice hotel. I parked on the street and noticed lots of bellmen waiting to help at the entrance. One of them wanted to drag my rollon bag but I resisted.

Was upgraded to a suit as a plt on the 31st floor (this seems to be the highest floor). This seemed to be 2 rooms joined together. The furnishings were very nice. Bathroom had the usual Bliss toiletries.

Was not told about the lounge at check in but was asked for the plt amenity. I chose the 500 pts but they didn't post. Did call in the morning and found out the lounge was on the 28th floor. Smallish lounge and a small continental spread.

Only gripe at first glance would be the size of the flat scree TVs which seem to be 32" which is small for the room. Even the Hyatt Places I stay at have 42".

Overall, a very nice room - definitely a great step up from the Hyatt near by.

genoval Oct 9, 2008 10:13 am

Sheraton phoenix downtown hotel question

My wife and I have never been to Phoenix. Would you recommend this new hotel for a five day tourist visit of the metropolitan area? I assume a car will be needed. Am I right? Thank you.

AZ Travels the World Oct 9, 2008 11:03 am

Originally Posted by genoval (Post 10493871)
My wife and I have never been to Phoenix. Would you recommend this new hotel for a five day tourist visit of the metropolitan area? I assume a car will be needed. Am I right? Thank you.

No, I would not recommend it for a tourist visit. It's really a convention and business hotel, in a downtown area of 'The Valley of the Sun' that is otherwise pretty dead.

I would suggest you look into the Westin Kierland, Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, the W Scottsdale, or The Phoenician as more vacation-oriented properties, none of which are in the center of town.

There are extensive master threads on all of these properties. If you look at The SPG Forum FAQ & Hotel Master Thread Links, thread and scroll down to Arizona, you'll find all of them listed.

SEA2BA Oct 9, 2008 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by acnev (Post 10479728)
Stayed there for one night last week. Nice hotel. I parked on the street and noticed lots of bellmen waiting to help at the entrance. One of them wanted to drag my rollon bag but I resisted.

I'm booked for this weekend (got the $101 deal, which is about 1/4 what our usual Kierland is charging). A couple questions about your comment: Is paid parking in the garage available, or only valet? How plentiful/safe were the on-street parking places, and were there any restrictions against parking overnight?

Thanks!
SEA2BA

bbbb Oct 9, 2008 5:31 pm

Street parking is free on weekends. I have parked over night on the street many times with out any problems.

SEA2BA Oct 9, 2008 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by bbbb (Post 10496552)
Street parking is free on weekends. I have parked over night on the street many times with out any problems.

Great, thanks for the quick response -- looking forward to trying out this new hotel.

acnev Oct 9, 2008 8:43 pm

Stayed there again last night - parked on the street again. Self parking is $16 per 24 hours.

One other point - there is a cappucino/latte machine in the lounge.

SEA2BA Oct 9, 2008 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by acnev (Post 10497379)
Stayed there again last night - parked on the street again. Self parking is $16 per 24 hours.

One other point - there is a cappucino/latte machine in the lounge.

Cool, thanks. My husband's driving there right now from the airport and I join tomorrow (work schedules issue).

Is the lounge only open at certain times, or can we get in 24/7 using our cardkey? We golf each day and thus get up super early so wondering if this might be an option before heading out rather than the usual stop at SBUX.

Thanks!

HOTguy Oct 9, 2008 10:43 pm

genoval- this is not a vacation hotel. Phoenician, Kierland, Wild Horse Pass are what you want.

anyone else- hows the restaurant, District?

HOTguy Oct 9, 2008 10:44 pm

how come starwood didnt do some branded restaurant concept here? Don Shula, Jean Georges, McCormick & Schmick, something like that?

dankyone Oct 10, 2008 2:10 pm

Back from a 2 night stay. The hotel is very good overall, possibly the best Sheraton I have seen. Staff is really going overboard in terms of being friendly and helpful. The overall feel is kind of like a combination between a W and a Westin, not typical tired Sheraton.

I did get a suite as a Plat, after asking...they had pre-blocked me into a club floor room. The standard rooms are a bit small and the suite was the size of 2rooms. One of the flat screen TVs did not work but this was the only "new hotel" issue with my room.

The gym is large, attractive, and well equipped. The club lounge has higher quality food than most. The staff hands out large bottles of Fiji water.

Down and polyester pillows are provided on beds. Plastic cups and glassware are provided as well.

The District as a very "W-ish" feel, it is huge, dark, and modern. Food quality was above expectation, and service was enthusiastic. It is reasonably priced as well.

Bedsheets were strangely stiff and scratchy, almost like they had been heavily startched or something. Presumably, this issue will disappear with repeated washings.

As stated by others, this is a poor choice for a vacation but it is most welcome business hotel alternative in PHX. I'll be back.