FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   [LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/851534-left-marriott-park-central-san-francisco-master-thread.html)

Eastbay1K Feb 8, 2007 10:41 pm

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

"Opens" April 12.

San Francisco's Argent Hotel will change its name, spend $29 million on a top-to-bottom renovation and premiere April 12 as the Westin San Francisco Market Street, the hotel's general manager said Tuesday.

I wonder if the Palace is long-lived for the Starwood umbrella.

bigguyinpasadena Feb 9, 2007 6:46 am

Thanks for the heads up Eastbay1k.
I visited a guest a this property-he had a deluxe room that was small wit a lot of unusable space since it was a triangle shape.
But this property will probably run a lot of specials-so I would be tempted to stay there.
The Palace has ben with starwood for a long time now,but they dropped the "sheraton"out of their name so leaving starwood might(big might here)be in the works.Staying there later this month so we will see how they treat Plats.

sapguy Feb 9, 2007 7:31 pm

Finally something else other than the very uneven, and somewhat tired, St Francis!

Seattlenerd Feb 9, 2007 7:35 pm

Personally, I'd rather lose the Westin St. Francis, due to their difficulty in remembering to upgrade Plats.

I recall the Palace Hotel is now part of the Luxury Collection, which is why they dropped the "Sheraton" from their name.

Eastbay1K Feb 9, 2007 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7195146)
I recall the Palace Hotel is now part of the Luxury Collection, which is why they dropped the "Sheraton" from their name.

It has been LC for quite some time. It is far from a true LC property, but then it still is Category 4 on the plus side.

BlissWorld Feb 9, 2007 9:00 pm

OMG the argent is across the street from St Regis SF, which is next door to W San Francisco. What's up with all the starwood in San Francisco all next to one another?

sapguy Feb 9, 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 7195513)
OMG the argent is across the street from St Regis SF, which is next door to W San Francisco. What's up with all the starwood in San Francisco all next to one another?

They're all right next door to the Moscone Center.

Seattlenerd Feb 9, 2007 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 7195676)
They're all right next door to the Moscone Center.

Not exactly. Moscone is on the other side of Market Street from the Westin St. Francis. I think the Palace is the closest to Moscone.

BlissWorld Feb 9, 2007 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7195776)
Not exactly. Moscone is on the other side of Market Street from the Westin St. Francis. I think the Palace is the closest to Moscone.

Actually, sapguy is correct. Moscone is across the street from the St Regis and W, and NONE of these hotels on are market st. They are ALL on 3rd St. Westin St Francis is on Powell street, which is several blocks away from the other three hotels.

Seattlenerd Feb 10, 2007 7:20 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 7195825)
Actually, sapguy is correct. Moscone is across the street from the St Regis and W, and NONE of these hotels on are market st. They are ALL on 3rd St. Westin St Francis is on Powell street, which is several blocks away from the other three hotels.

I didn't say any of the hotels are on Market in my post. I said that Moscone was on the other side of Market from the Westin St. Francis, which fronts Union Square. I've stayed repeatedly at both the Palace and St. Francis, but didn't speak to the locations of the W or St. Regis since I haven't stayed at either.

sapguy Feb 10, 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7196886)
I didn't say any of the hotels are on Market in my post. I said that Moscone was on the other side of Market from the Westin St. Francis, which fronts Union Square. I've stayed repeatedly at both the Palace and St. Francis, but didn't speak to the locations of the W or St. Regis since I haven't stayed at either.

I have stayed at the W San Fran and the St Regis and WALKED comfortably (back and forth) to my meetings/sessions at the Moscone Center.

I have stayed at the Westin St Francis and have taken cabs (back and forth) to the Moscone Center. You must really like long walks in San Francisco, I can see :D

bigguyinpasadena Feb 10, 2007 8:26 am

YOU TOOK A CAB!!!from the St.Francis to Moscone?It is a fifteen minute walk!What?Are you from LA or something? :D
and yes-when I lived in San francisco I did enjoy taking long walks.I lived on Protreo Hill and worked in the Union Square area-I walked whenever the weather allowe-which was most days ^

sapguy Feb 10, 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 7197107)
YOU TOOK A CAB!!!from the St.Francis to Moscone?It is a fifteen minute walk!What?Are you from LA or something? :D
and yes-when I lived in San francisco I did enjoy taking long walks.I lived on Protreo Hill and worked in the Union Square area-I walked whenever the weather allowe-which was most days ^

I'm from Philly, and yes, a 15 minutes walk is a LONG WALK for me :D

I'm the one who rents a car to drive around in Paris :p instead of using their Metro. Same with London and Madrid, and sometime even New York and San Fran :D ^

BlissWorld Feb 10, 2007 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7196886)

No you didn't, but you quoted sapguy's post, which was in response to my original comment about how W SF, St Regis SF and Argent are next to each other. He said that all of these 3 hotels were next to the Moscone center. You said not exactly, but in fact they are. Actually, here's a picture I took from the St Regis: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...7594526860978/ as you can see, Moscone center is across the street from the hotel (the front entrance is by all these rainbow colored flags)

bigguyinpasadena Feb 10, 2007 10:32 am

Ya know-I am just a little concerned about these hotels abandoning central downtowns and tourist areas in favor of convention centers.SF is not the only place-LA has two nice new HUGE hotels going up next to staples center.
Often times these are not convenient for those NOT attending a convention.
On the other hand-I guess if there are convention hotels that will decrease the demand on non CC hotels during big conventions.

Eastbay1K Feb 10, 2007 11:54 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 7197754)
Ya know-I am just a little concerned about these hotels abandoning central downtowns and tourist areas in favor of convention centers.

A hotel in SF near the convention center is within a 15 minute walk of any major downtown business destination.

Ready2Go Feb 10, 2007 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 7197754)
Ya know-I am just a little concerned about these hotels abandoning central downtowns and tourist areas in favor of convention centers.SF is not the only place-LA has two nice new HUGE hotels going up next to staples center.
Often times these are not convenient for those NOT attending a convention.
On the other hand-I guess if there are convention hotels that will decrease the demand on non CC hotels during big conventions.

This is an issue in some cities, but not in SF. The Moscone Center is not in the boonies. I stay at the W (the most "distant" of the 3rd Street Starwoods) when I have business in the financial district, and it's a very reasonable walk.

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 7197167)
I'm from Philly, and yes, a 15 minutes walk is a LONG WALK for me :D

I'm the one who rents a car to drive around in Paris :p instead of using their Metro. Same with London and Madrid, and sometime even New York and San Fran :D ^

:eek: Even this Angeleno thinks you are nuts. (Maybe we just all love what we don't have.) ;)

bigguyinpasadena Feb 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Yes-I know that is the case in San Francisco.But really-the SOMA convention center district,while somewhat interesting,really does not say "welcome to San Francisco"the way Union Square/Nob Hill/Marina does.It is a newly remodeled/revamped area and again,while somwhat interesting,Is not very charming and I fear many convention attendees are going to come away with a skewed view of San Francisco.
But I was also including other cities in this opservation as well.
But I rarely go to conventions-so I would love to hear from those of you that do.

Seattlenerd Feb 10, 2007 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 7197614)
No you didn't, but you quoted sapguy's post, which was in response to my original comment about how W SF, St Regis SF and Argent are next to each other. He said that all of these 3 hotels were next to the Moscone center. You said not exactly, but in fact they are. Actually, here's a picture I took from the St Regis: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...7594526860978/ as you can see, Moscone center is across the street from the hotel (the front entrance is by all these rainbow colored flags)

I was responding to the exact question after his comment: "What's up with all the starwood in San Francisco all next to one another?" All I was pointing out is that they're not all next to each other. And not all, by extension, are next to Moscone. Why the argument?

As to the folks who can't imagine walking 15 minutes from Union Square to Moscone, I rather enjoy it and have been doing it for years.

Seattlenerd Feb 10, 2007 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 7197080)
I have stayed at the Westin St Francis and have taken cabs (back and forth) to the Moscone Center. You must really like long walks in San Francisco, I can see :D

Actually, I've attended two conventions in the last year at the St. Francis itself, so it wasn't much of a walk. But I have also stayed there and at other Union Square hotels when I've had to go to Moscone (or SFMOMA), and haven't minded the walk, either. Depends on the weather.

Scott218 Feb 10, 2007 4:16 pm

The hotel is not showing up on SPG.com yet.

sapguy Feb 11, 2007 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 7198453)
Yes-I know that is the case in San Francisco.But really-the SOMA convention center district,while somewhat interesting,really does not say "welcome to San Francisco"the way Union Square/Nob Hill/Marina does.It is a newly remodeled/revamped area and again,while somwhat interesting,Is not very charming and I fear many convention attendees are going to come away with a skewed view of San Francisco.
But I was also including other cities in this opservation as well.
But I rarely go to conventions-so I would love to hear from those of you that do.

Well ya know, ya can always take a cab (the fare is only a few dollars) from these convention hotels to whereever you wanna go to in Frisco, very simple :D

sapguy Feb 11, 2007 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Ready2Go (Post 7198429)
:eek: Even this Angeleno thinks you are nuts. (Maybe we just all love what we don't have.) ;)

Why do you think that I'm nuts? What's wrong with driving yourself to go whereever you want to go?

SST Feb 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 7204314)
Well ya know, ya can always take a cab (the fare is only a few dollars) from these convention hotels to whereever you wanna go to in Frisco, very simple :D

Well, "Frisco"; I guess that says it all.......

sapguy Feb 11, 2007 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by SST (Post 7204381)
Well, "Frisco"; I guess that says it all.......

I love Frisco! It's one of my favorite cities in the world, and I hope to retire to old Frisco someday :D

Bosny Feb 16, 2007 12:00 am

Coming into town with three friends (early thirties) who have never been to San Fran. Looking for advice as I decide between the Sheraton Fish Wharf and the New Westin Market. Would rather cab it to the touristy things we want to do-Fish Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, baseball game etc. and be closer to the nightlife/good restaurants when chosing a hotel location. Are either of these SPG props close to the bars / clubs /restaurants etc? We don't mind walking a bit either. Thanks.

Eastbay1K Feb 16, 2007 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Bosny (Post 7234333)
Coming into town with three friends (early thirties) who have never been to San Fran. Looking for advice as I decide between the Sheraton Fish Wharf and the New Westin Market. Would rather cab it to the touristy things we want to do-Fish Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, baseball game etc. and be closer to the nightlife/good restaurants when chosing a hotel location. Are either of these SPG props close to the bars / clubs /restaurants etc? We don't mind walking a bit either. Thanks.

Then you don't want to stay at the Wharf. The W, St. Francis, Palace, St. Regis, or Westin Market St. will all suit you well. You can walk (a decent, but flat walk) to the ballpark from all of them, but the W and St Regis are closest.) I am partial to this walk because once while staying at the W, I found $300 on the sidewalk while walking from the ballpark back to the hotel :)

alamedaguy Feb 16, 2007 10:41 am

Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 14, 2007.

Category 4 in case that wasn't known. $209 on "opening" night.

shar161 Feb 16, 2007 4:38 pm

Please don't say "frisco"!!
To the guy who was thinking about staying by the warf...don't, i'ts very junky there.

Bosny Feb 19, 2007 5:59 pm

Bump. Still looking for info about the New Wetsin area. Posts refer to the hotel not open yet, so no feedback. I am NOT looking for info on hotel interior/services...trying to chose a location based on the factors listed in my previous post. Any help? Someone familiar with the area at all? Thank you

Beerman92 Feb 19, 2007 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bosny (Post 7255124)
Bump. Still looking for info about the New Wetsin area. Posts refer to the hotel not open yet, so no feedback. I am NOT looking for info on hotel interior/services...trying to chose a location based on the factors listed in my previous post. Any help? Someone familiar with the area at all? Thank you

If it were me and I were choosing between this hotel and the Wharf I would vote for this hotel. It is in the "business" part of town so there will be fewer pure tourists. There will be out of towners at Moscone Center (convention center). Neither choices are right near hotspots. Really depends what you want in terms of nightlife.

Phoenician Aviator Feb 19, 2007 11:54 pm

I'd definitely go for one of the properties away from the Wharf. The only nice "big" hotel in the Wharf area is the Argonaut (which I recommend, BTW). The Sheraton down there is rubbish; a friend spent somewhere around $180/night to stay there once, and I felt bad he paid so much for so little.

Anyways, if you stay in the SOMA properties, it's true that you'll be in the "refurbished" area of SF. If "urban lifestyle" shops are your thing, you'll find stuff to do. Otherwise, I'd suggest walking a few blocks to catch the streetcar. One direction will take you up towards Noe Valley, which is very cute and has lots of good restaurants. The other direction will take you to the Ferry Building (recommended on Saturday mornings for the Farmer's Market) and then onwards to the Wharf. Also recommend you check out North Beach (Little Italy) and Russian Hill (my favorite SF neighborhood).

Bosny Feb 22, 2007 12:06 am

Thank you! Now that is helpful information. I am leaning towards the new Westin. Can't wait to check out all the neighborhoods. Thanks again Phoenician Aviator!

fenger Apr 9, 2007 9:31 am

Looks like the photo section got updated,
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1981

Although the only thing I see that "seems" to be specific to the hotel added are the workout room pix and couple pictures of the bed. It's slayed to be opened on 4/12, would love to hear some feedbacks as I've got a few rooms reserved for July.

itsaboutthejourney Apr 9, 2007 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by alamedaguy (Post 7236409)
Now accepting reservations for arrival on or after May 14, 2007.

Category 4 in case that wasn't known. $209 on "opening" night.

If you click on "specials" the above link, they had some $179 rates with 1,000 bonus points but that special seems to have very very limited dates.

L1011toHNL Apr 12, 2007 12:05 pm

Is anyone at hotel today?

I see on the reservations page that it is possible to book a stay for tonight onward. Any reviews, by chance?

fly co to see the yanks Apr 12, 2007 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by fenger (Post 7551902)
Looks like the photo section got updated,
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ropertyID=1981

Although the only thing I see that "seems" to be specific to the hotel added are the workout room pix and couple pictures of the bed. It's slayed to be opened on 4/12, would love to hear some feedbacks as I've got a few rooms reserved for July.

the #5 photo (meetings) is such a lame photo. i wonder if this is really taken from a meeting room at this property. it could have been taken at....maybe, a million properties. :rolleyes:

actually, all of the photos are lame. :D

njber116 Apr 12, 2007 9:47 pm

I am going to be attending a conference in SF in June and my company had us book at the Argent Hotel. I was so disappointed that it was not a Starwood property as I have been a long time fan of Starwood (though sadly my elite status has lapsed this year). Now that I hear it is becoming a Westin, I'm so psyched but have one question: Since the hotel was booked while it was under different ownership, will I still get points for my stay in June (which will be after the converstion to a Westin)? Please say yes! :)

bassmanben Apr 13, 2007 2:39 am

i booked my friend in the W san francisco, which is right down the street from the new westin.

He had a meeting/conference today at the Argent, but was not aware that it became a Westin as of today. I had forgotten. He was walking up and down the block looking for the argent but could not find it...only a westin.

after he gave me the address i finally figured out he was at the right hotel - silly...he walked past it probably 5-6 times before we knew what happened.

All I know is that everything seems good.

RedPanda5 Apr 14, 2007 11:59 am

Originally Posted by njber116 (Post 7574017)
I am going to be attending a conference in SF in June and my company had us book at the Argent Hotel. I was so disappointed that it was not a Starwood property as I have been a long time fan of Starwood (though sadly my elite status has lapsed this year). Now that I hear it is becoming a Westin, I'm so psyched but have one question: Since the hotel was booked while it was under different ownership, will I still get points for my stay in June (which will be after the converstion to a Westin)? Please say yes! :)

I don't see why not, give them your SPG# when you check in.

I stayed at the Argent once about 2 years ago during an office visit after I received a job offer. Its pretty nice.